• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrival of latest submission

12 posts in this topic

It was a great birthday present

My latest submission to NGC arrived back home just in time to help me celebrate my birthday, and celebrate I did! I submitted a total of 17 coins for grading. Included in those 17 were 4 more Franklin's. A 1954, 55, 56 T2, and another 1958 which I thought would be an upgraded version of the PF66 I already had in my collection. Did I say upgrade !!!! Although I already knew what grades the coins received earlier as you all know they are posted on line, until they arrive in hand, then and only then do I consider it "official and complete". The 54 came back as PF 67, the 1955 came in at PF68, the 1956 Type 2 received a PF 68 Cameo and (drum roll here) the 1958 upgrade received a grade of PF67UC. Yes, the coin I purchased for $42.00 which I thought would be an upgrade from the PF66, was an upgrade but WOW what an upgrade !!!! Can birthdays get any better !!!

I have attached a photo of this prized coin.

I hope everyone can find a fantastic surprise like this arrive at your door on your special day.

moondoggy

8834.jpg

See more journals by moondoggy

in response to dleonard-3

Yes I thought the same thing at first but when I compared the PF66 to this one, the cameo is obvious. (there is a distinct difference) but you would have to have them in hand, side by side. Granted the cameo is not to the standards they are now but I believe they consider "when" the coin was minted as to what degree the cameo's displayed visually. That of course is only me surmising. I know there have been times when I thought some coins were obviously cameo's and came back PF only. So you may be right, but one thing we all learn at some point in time is that trying to figure out this grading thing could drive us all batty !!!!

Iskrona

Thanks for the kind words and bit of knowledge on the Franklins back in the 90's. I wasn't aware of that !

It is cool when we share bits of info with one another.

Moondog, happy b-day. I love cameos... and I'm sorry to rain on your parade, I'm betting that's either a mechanical label error or wrong coin error. Ultra cameos are pretty much deep mirror and thick frost and that appears to be almost all the way brilliant. But, congrats on the upgrades!

John,

How are you doing my friend? Thank you for the B-Day wish and coin as well. How's the Kennedy's coming along ? Am getting ready to list another round of coins including Kennedy's so let me know if you are interested in any?

Take care,

Mike

Nice grades indeed! However, I'm in the camp where the '58 PR67UC may be a mechanical error. Of course, as the saying goes....'you just can't grade by an image only'. But, I will say, unless that coin looks NOTHING like the image, I just don't see a UC anywhere in sight. I honestly don't see enough to have it go CAM.

No offense to the OP, but ,,,,,I just don't see it. It's been proven time and again you can't really grade by an image, and besides, you have the coin in-hand, where I don't.

Well Mike, A Happy Birthday to ya!!!!

It seems we both had a birthday this month and we both splurged on Franklin Halfs. Mine in MS and yours in PF. You keep it up and I am going to hit you up for the lower graded set.

Later Friend-------Rick