• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meet my new upgrade...opinions welcomed and encouraged

27 posts in this topic

Sold my MS 63, at a loss (like Lee was sayin' and what precipitated my RANT about dealers), and got this well struck (I think) MS 64 at 800 below sheet bid. I worked real hard this week and I am having my first drink with friends in about 7 days (I deserve it), so I grew some B@!!$ and said : 'Why not post this to my fellow board member enthusaists?' Thank you kindly for your input!

1919-S WLH

1919smeobvhr.jpg

1919smerevhr.jpg

1919sstacks1125102.jpg

1919sstacksr1125102-1.jpg

I like the coin. My only concern is the luster, it looks a bit dull. Could be the photo though. Is there some evidence of an improper rinse after a dip?

Havent got it yet (this photo was provided to me) but talked to numismatist on the phone prior to bid and asked him if it was original with good cartwheel. He said that it looked original and he answered, without hesitation, that 'it has GREAT cartwheel.' I know that 19-S coins tend to be 'messed with' but I have a good feeling about this coin, because of the strike and the patinated surfaces. I don't know for sure....but I am guessing it is a bad photo. This is NOT an overly lusterous issue, so as long as it has, some good noticeable cartwheel and is not dull looking, then I will be happy. I guess that I am wondering the same thing. I DO know that these pics do NOT look like the coin in real time; I looked in his archives and most of his coins look a little subdued with strange images. I don't care if luster is booming as long as its not dull. 1st image shows strike better and 2nd shows luster better. I guess that I won't REALLY know until it is in hand.....maybe I shouldn't have posted it yet?

I cant say much about the coin (since I havent researched these yet) other than to me it looks very nice. Are those scratches on the obverse across from the hips and bust? and it looks like a pit or hole at the base of the 1 on the obverse? I cant tell honestly. Other than that it looks very nice.

-Chris#2

I can most def. say that those scratches are on the slab and the dark spot on the one is patinta or dark toning spot. No pitting. Thanks for commenting. :)

i love it and in this current walker market it was a good decent buy

and i bet in hand it has better lustre than the photos show

i love it and there are many buyers in the current market at a little more than you paid for this coin

as it is scarce and needed for the set besides being a sexy early s mint date

it is what i call

a coin with a fundemential reason to rise in demand hence value

There's plenty of luster present in the lower pics especially in the eagles feathers, as luster on the earlier WLH's is a bit satiny anyway. I feel neither set of pics really do this 19-S justice and I doubt there's any dip residue spotting. Overall I like it especially the obverse hand and thumb strike. (thumbs u

Thank You, Michael. I always appreciate your good seasoned comments.

Not just bc they are positive but bc I think you're being sincere. I hope we are both right! That's how I saw it, too. We seem to agree alot.

I can't wait to see it in hand! I really think that I may be very pleasantly suprised.

I will let you all know when I get it and I will post much better pics!

There's plenty of luster present in the lower pics especially in the eagles feathers, as luster on the earlier WLH's is a bit satiny anyway. I feel neither set of pics really do this 19-S justice and I doubt there's any dip residue spotting. Overall I like it especially the obverse hand and thumb strike. (thumbs u

Thanks, Broadstruck. Makes me feel better bc I know that you guys are impartial. :) It helps alot to have a 2nd and 3rd set of eyes and opinions. You can point out things that I missed good or bad.

Here was their description:

'A low-mintage, conditionally challenging issue from the early Walking Liberty Half Dollar series, the 1919-S is actually the second-rarest issue of the type in terms of total number of Mint State coins believed extant. In addition to vibrant satin-to-softly frosted luster and a lack of distracting abrasions, what sets this coin apart from even many other Mint State survivors is the overall boldness to the strike. Most areas are sharply defined, and even the centers exhibit considerable emerging-to-bold detail. The entire package is lightly toned in a blend of gold and silver iridescence, the reverse a bit more boldly patinated than the obverse. One of only 1.5 million pieces produced, most survivors of which are worn to one degree or another.'

I also notice some yellowish-red toning along the edge, which I have seen before on original examples.

Thanks, Broadstruck. Makes me feel better bc I know that you guys are impartial. :) It helps alot to have a 2nd and 3rd set of eyes and opinions. You can point out things that I missed good or bad.

Walkerfan, Your welcome as if I thought this was a barker I wouldn't bite my tongue. When I first joined ATS I called everything nice, but it really doesn't do someone justice if they are asking for opinions on a newp. I'd also like to see pics of the MS63 you sold and look forward to your own pics once you get this WLH in hand.

I'm very fond of all 19-S (and D) coinage and here's my partial collar mint error from my date set :)

snzziv.jpg

In the bottom set of pics, it looks like a nice, lustrous, attractive coin. In the top set of pics, it looks like a dirty, dull, boring coin. Here's hoping in hand it looks a lot more like the second set.

I agree with Jason. Looks like the smaller pics show better luster than the larger. Nice looking Walker!!

Broadstruck-This is SO true and again I appreciate your candor.

I have NEVER seen a 1919-S partial collar or ANY error 19-S. That is VERY cool and RARE!! Looks to have a relatively good strike, also.

Here's the MS 63:

1919spcgs63mobv.jpg

pcgs64mrevsq.jpg

It was very clean, as far as surface preservation goes, but strike was average or slightly below for a MS 63. The MS 64 has a much better strike and I expect the luster to be AT LEAST as good as the 63 was....likely better. The MS 63's luster was not really that good. It was bright and shiny but luster was compromised and had diminished and so had the cartwheel to a noticeable extent. A novice might not have noticed it right away but this coin was dipped (and more than once). I have seen 19-S coins that were MUCH worse but ALSO much better. It (luster) was middle of the road. It (MS 63) also had a bit of a grease strike through error on the rev. in the eagle's wing and trailing leg. You can also see it a bit in the F in OF AMERICA. I did not really like this, b/c the trailing leg lacked almost all detail. I also think that strike through errors on the earlier dates are more common than people realize, though some MAY consider this an error coin. It was not an attractive error, as your partial collar coin IS and your's is more interesting and unusual. As I said, luster was decent but I could tell that it had def. been dipped for sure and it was a bit impeded. 19-S coins are notorious for dipping. There is no doubt in my mind that the 64 has a better strike and is more original.

Thank You, Michael. I always appreciate your good seasoned comments.

Not just bc they are positive but bc I think you're being sincere. I hope we are both right! That's how I saw it, too. We seem to agree alot.

I can't wait to see it in hand! I really think that I may be very pleasantly suprised.

I will let you all know when I get it and I will post much better pics!

your welcome

i know i am sincere and correct :applause: and my friend we are BOTH RIGHT!!!!!!

WELL WE DO AGREE ALOT

BUT it is easy for far with you my friend

as

KEEP SHOWING PQ technical grade early walkers that have great eye appeal and with great original

surfaces and i will approve

(thumbs u

Well, as I reply when offering opinions, I caution ALL to be wary of pictures. No picture "EVER" shows everything about a coin's surfaces---but, they can be a big help in determining whether one likes a coin----or not.

Agree with Broadstruck about the 19D and 19S coins. The 1919's are some of my favorites of the "early" Walkers. And, as Michael states, this coin certainly has a financial upside for the future.

I await with interest your pictures of this coin. That always helps me. But, I'll say this. I like it better than the MS63 by far. I feel that the reverse is "very nice" and well struck for a 19S. But, here again, I like most reverses better than the obverse. For some reason, the obverse gets most of the problems if there are any problems.

Since the grading of 19S coins, IMHO, is given a break by PCGS, one can assume that this piece will remain high in the coins that are still extant. Therefore, finding a better example, would be costly at best. Therefore, this is certainly a decent representative coin for a MS64. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

Here are some new, hopefully, better images.

I finally received the coin and am quite happy with it.

They still don't fully capture the luster. Luster is just SLIGHTLY muted and in real time it's still VERY good (cartwheel and curving luster in fields ARE there).

So much better than the MS 63 in every way (strike AND luster).

I GOTTA get a new camera. doh!

It is a def. upgrade for me....tell what you think!

WF

1919sm63.jpg

1919smew63r.jpg

Not even close. Still need: the 1917-S obv, 19-D and ALL of the 1921 series.

I am now only 57% complete in the EARLY Dates.

My next pickups will be 19 P, 17-D Rev, 17 S Rev., 16-S, 20 P & 29-S; after that I will be 81% complete. The 1929-S & 1920 P; I will save for last, since they are 'easy'. I am trying to keep my set in the 64 range but with the 1929-S, however, I may have to go MS 65, since finding one with a suitable strike is VERY DIFFICULT. I will do this, hopefully, within the next 2 years.

The aforementioned 5 (17-S Obv., 19-D and 1921 series) is a long range project. Within 3-5 years I should have the 17-S Obv., in addition to others, then being 85% complete. Not sure how long the rest will take, probably a decade, ( 19-D, & 21-PDS).

Still, I will feel GOOD being more than 75-85%% complete.