• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884-CC Morgan in GSA holder grade and will it *?

19 posts in this topic

There is a toning shadow under the date which leads me to believe NT. I believe it will grade and would grade MS63 with no star.

Being this is a GSA it has to be NT. Anyhow... I am in at MS 64

There is a toning shadow under the date which leads me to believe NT. I believe it will grade and would grade MS63 with no star.

Those GSA cases are not air tight. A coin could probably be gassed in the holder.

Those GSA cases are not air tight. A coin could probably be gassed in the holder.

It could happen but just highly unlikely.

Contact marks in the field should limit grade. Several of the hits on the devise are more than grazes and have moved metal. Very good strike. MS63 no star.

Chet

I'd say with the scrapes and nics that this thing gets no higher than a 63. I think the colors are just too common to get a star for it.

(thumbs u

I agree with James that this coin has a 50/50 shot at getting a star.

This is a coin I would have in my collection – I love the obverse tone.

Grade – MS 63 or 64.

What grade do you say and do you think this one will receive a star?

1884-CCMorganGSAobverseII.jpg

1884-CCMorganGSAreverseII.jpg

To me the toning looks questionable, but given that the coin is in a GSA holder, I'm guessing that is the photograph. I'll say MS64, no star. The toning is too blotchy for a star in my opinion.

The rim-hit is the question on this one. Technically, however, I have to concede, she's right in there, with the MS-65s. Let NGC figure out the market grade, they have the broader knowledge base to determine that.

PS: I think it's great, BTW, that NGC keeps these in the GSA holders. It's pretentious, I think, to even think of cracking these out, just to grade them. There's no good reason for it outside of brand-narcissim. JMHO...