• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936-D Buffalo Nickel.....A star is born, again.....

15 posts in this topic

I was lucky enough to purchase a 1913 type 1 raw Buffalo Nickel off ebay about two years ago from a seller who could not image coins very well at all. So I down loaded his images of the 13 to my photo album and edited the images just to see if I could get a better look at this buff that looked as it might be a nice one. I did what I could with the editing and took a chance and bid and I was very surprised that I won the coin for $38.00. This coin....

027-2.jpg

029-6.jpg

003-1.jpg

When I received this monster in the mail and looked at it the first time I knew right away it was a special coin, the eye appeal is over the top and NGC agreed and assigned a star to the grade. I was pleased.

So I kept an eye on this seller store, that can not take good images of coins with high hopes for another shot at his Buffs, but nothing at all. This went on for two years. Finally he listed a game controller for sale. I emailed him , using the game controller, to ask a question. I asked him....You probably don't remember me but I purchased a Buffalo nickel from you about 2 years ago and it's one of my favorites and I was wondering if you have any more you might want to sell? About a week later he replied, he says "YES" I do have what's left of a high end set I'll sell. So I ask him if it would be possible for him to send me some images of what he has. The man sent me images as good as the 13 type 1 I purchased the first time, not very good images to say the least. I could tell right away he had a couple that looked quite nice and asked him for a price on the pretty ones. To make this long story short I picked this coin up for $45.00 along with a couple of other that were priced as a gimmy. I just received this coin back from NGC with another star from the same seller out of the same coin album.

024-4.jpg

025.jpg

004-2.jpg

If this coin didn't have the hits it does on the obverse it would have receive a much higher grade in my opinion....Thanks for looking....Joe

Un-Freakin-Believable. Those are the most beautiful Buffalo's I think I've ever seen. Way to go.

Great pickups, Joe. Let's see the others---the "gimme's". Take care,

Jim

You've seen these in other posts but now they're graded...

019-5.jpg

021-3.jpg

012-4.jpg

009-6.jpg

015-6.jpg

016-9.jpg

Be careful. That toning is *exactly* the same, in a way that makes me suspicious of its originality.

This is what an original toned buff is supposed to look like, so ofc they would look the same.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the toning. I believe this is just honest to goodness long time album toning.

I have handled so many Buffs with color at this point in my life I can spot an "AT" Buff a mile away, trust me I can. These Buffs I purchased raw and all graded out just fine. In fact I have never had a Buffalo Nickel returned as questionable color I may miss the grade a bit but the color I seem to do quite well.

These Buffs are the product of long term album toning . I'll guarantee you these buffs came out of an old blue Whitman coin album, the blue toning is a dead give away. I love the Buffalo Nickel series and never ever get tired of seeking them out. Thanks to all for your comments.....Joe

those are great

did you find out what type of album they were in?

These were all in a Whitman album for many, many years. I bought about 5 coins from this guy and 2 of them received the star. Thanks for the comment.....Joe

Maybe it's the whitman album that contributes somehow. Here's a video I took of my buffaloes w/ an iphone. Watch it in 480p, the color comes out better. However, they look a lot more distinct in-hand. The ones on camera are the 27 P,D, & s. The 36 and 37 series are heavily toned as well. What stink is, a lot of the other buffs are toned too, but it looks like the original owner tried to clean them off, some look like they are just outlined in rainbow.

Rainbow Buffaloes