• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The mint hard at work!?!

8 posts in this topic

Is it real? I don’t know, but I certainly hope not. If they were to restrike these coins I think it would cause a major problem for the hobby, as well as a backlash against the mint by collectors. I had to laugh when I read that the spokesman dismissed the concern by saying that the re-issued coins will be specially packaged and come with a certificate that describes them as re-strikes, as if this would keep the hobby safe from anyone breaking the coins out of their ‘special packaging’ and passing them off as originals. As for the 1964 dated coins, if they really did find them I think they should release them.

John

Look at the link. Appears to be someones April Fool's joke. Of course, I would have loved to buy a 1964 Peace Dollar... gashnabbit!!!!

Dave

Dave,

I noticed the date of the article too. I also did not remember reading this on Yahoo news, and there was nothing about it on the mints web site. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

It was an April Fool's joke.

Another joke is that the mint is raising the price for their junk and had the nerve to partially blame the rising price of copper. 27_laughing.gif

It seems obvious that this is an April fools joke, but it did get me thinking. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It would be so easy to distinguish the restrikes from originals, mainly because they would all be low relief flat strikes more reminiscent of the Eunice Shriver dollar than anything produced before. I honestly don't think the mint is capable of producing high quality coins of old designs (witness the gold eagles, as a Saint collector I cringe whenever I see one!). But it does raise the conspiracy theorist in me...doesn't it seem suspicious that after supposedly melting all those silver dollars under the Pittman act, that 50 years later they suddenly find a hoard of unc. Morgans all worth a lot since they are from Carson City? Why not 1882-S or 1887? Could this have been a Nixon administration scheme to turn the left over silver from the last redemption in 1968 into something worth far more than the $2 an ounce they could have received on the open market? Back then it's not inconceivable that the mint could have struck Morgans that were similar, if not indistinguishable from the originals. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif