• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts? - 1872CC Seated Dollar

19 posts in this topic

This was posted on the CU forum and people thought it should come over here too. Any thoughts on this coin??? It's in a NGC Details Holder for improperly cleaned.

c30492025-a.jpg

My concerns with the coin were in the mintmark. It is generally accepted (as far as I've heard) that only one reverse die was used to strike the 72-CC, which is not the same as in the coin above. Below is my coin which shows the known mint mark location. So what do you guys think is going on here?

Reverse-Tilted1.jpg

Welcome ATS speety :)

It's odd how more centralized the mintmark is on the TT details example.

As the CC mintmark is normally tucked up tight on all I've seen too.

Do you feel if the slab was dropped the CC's would fall off that Philly hm;)

I hope Broadstruck is wrong about dropping it. BUT, they are certainly different. Who are the Seated Dollar experts around here and ATS? Have you contacted any of them specifically?

Welcome to the boards over here speety...I just joined over here today myself. :)

without seeing the coin in hand i dont know

but the mintmark is extremely odd and i have never seen as such a cc mintmark in this position on any 1872-cc

if it were real the cc mintmark the c's would be more widely spaced??????????????????????????????????????

a new discovery piece of a second reverse die??

OR?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks guys, I thought I was already signed up over here. I am MnS on the registry and have a complete set of seated dollars (third behind TDN and gardner) so I've seen my fair share of them. I've talked to both TDN and EVillageProwler who are the two guys I go to with questions and they aren't positive either way.

The obverse looks too good for most fakes I've seen, but the reverse doesn't match any which are pictured at Heritage archives or on either registry. I've advised the buyer to go to NGC with it rather than Teletrade to figure out what's going on. If it is an authentic 72-cc, it'd be the discovery piece for this reverse and would be nice to have it holdered as such, and if it isn't authentic it'd be good to get it out of the NGC holder.

As a side note, I also did the Cert Verification and this coin is definately a match to the picture that pops up. So I don't think it's a fake holder.

is the 2 in the date repunched????

The obverse does not seem to match our 1872-CC either, the date is too high. Unfortunately, from the pictures it is impossible to tell the slight repunch on the 2. I wish I had this thing in hand...

it fits usually seen lower grade as most 1872-cc seated dollars are lower grade and cleaned and the obverse much weaker than the reverse as always seen

IF THE TOP OF THE 2 IS NOT REPUNCHED THAN IT IS A ??????? fake?????? IN MY OPINION

there are 2 obverse dies known but with that mintmark location

on the reverse it is highly suspect but without seeing in in hand sight seen i dont know for sure

i am on the fence without seeing it in hand i think it needs to go back to ngc

with the cleaning it am sort of leaning towards not real

but i have been wrong more often than correct in federal coinage

an interesting condrum to say the least

david lange where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

david lange where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 12:42 AM I was sound asleep!

I'm looking into it now.

This is very intriguing, especially if it is a new variety. Those look like the "CC" from the punch used at Carson City on the 1878 Morgan dollars. Very cool and exciting thread - wish you had better images!!

:popcorn:

At 12:42 AM I was sound asleep!

I'm looking into it now.

lol

thanks dave!!!!! your a good sport :applause:

it will be exciting to see what you find out

The CC is in the wrong location for my money. I think the chances are pretty slim it's "the" special one. But at the same time if this is what ya think it is ...Way to go...Joe

coin sold on Teletrade last week, does anyone know the purchaser?

Yes, he posted it as a newp on a different forum where I immediately noticed the mm. He was going to go back through Teletrade but I told him going through NGC may be the better option.

I offered to pass on an email address for David Lange if he wanted to contact him but I have not heard anything back through the PMs here yet, but that was just this morning.

coin sold on Teletrade last week, does anyone know the purchaser?

Yes, he posted it as a newp on a different forum where I immediately noticed the mm. He was going to go back through Teletrade but I told him going through NGC may be the better option.

I offered to pass on an email address for David Lange if he wanted to contact him but I have not heard anything back through the PMs here yet, but that was just this morning.

Please keep us informed. It would be remarkable news to find that the coin is a new discovery, which I hope it is.