• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882-CC I bought at a Pawn shop for $50. Good deal? Grade?

42 posts in this topic

I was looking through a pawn shop that I frequent coin display, and the bright reverse of this coin caught my eye coming from a small box labeled $49.99 ea. . When I realized what it was I tried my best to display what I learned in high school drama. So whatcha think? Grade? She looks like she's spitting when you angle it a certain way. It's not a scratch, but more of a dull spot in the luster or something. (pics taken with new canon 5D)

accf2.jpgaccb.jpgaccf1.jpgaccspit.jpg

I must've had a good poker face, b/c the owner said that he had more in the back he'd bring out if I came back Monday! I have it posted for sale in NGC marketplace forum. willing to trade for Indian Heads.

...any CC is good for $50...

Unless it's a Chinese counterfeit. They produce hundreds of Morgans each and every day using our old presses and dies that they bought as scrap metal. I would be extremely wary of buying a CC from a pawnshop.

I hope I'm wrong and it's authentic. But the Chinese are flooding the market and it pays to be extra careful these days.

Perhaps send it to NGC to be graded. If it's real you will still have made a profit. If it's fake call it the price of an education.

The reverse rim appears to have numerous hits on it. Maybe he was selling it cheap because it wouldn't grade. If not for the possibility of being a problem coin, it looks like it would have graded MS64, and I can't believe that any dealer would sell a $200+ coin that cheap.

Chris

If it's real, looks to be a C3B reverse from the die chip inside the left C in the mint mark. That would be a vam 2 variety. I question any dealer who would sell a CC for less than $200.00 virtually in any state.

Unless it's a MS65, I would not spend the $$ in grading. Anything less (and it's real) would put it around $200.00 and grading will cost you $50.00 with freight and insurance, If however it's real, then you did well. But it will cost you to find out!

Chet

Well I don't see dings bad enough for this coin to be a no grade. If the coin is counterfeit, it's a dang good one. I don't believe it is. Any dealer in his right mind would know how much this coin is worth. Man I usually dont do this but it seems a little wierd to me that lately you found a very expensive Vam Morgan that had someone else's pics attached to it and now you're letting that thread go because you can't take a picture of yours. Now you find a nice CC morgan from a dealer and claim he has more. Which by the way, the pics seem to look decent for this coin. You just got this from the dealer, when??? You put this on Ebay When?? Then dropped it into our Marketplace for something different When?? I'm sorry, but I don't have good feelings about your stuff!!

Well I don't see dings bad enough for this coin to be a no grade. If the coin is counterfeit, it's a dang good one. I don't believe it is. Any dealer in his right mind would know how much this coin is worth. Man I usually dont do this but it seems a little wierd to me that lately you found a very expensive Vam Morgan that had someone else's pics attached to it and now you're letting that thread go because you can't take a picture of yours. Now you find a nice CC morgan from a dealer and claim he has more. Which by the way, the pics seem to look decent for this coin. You just got this from the dealer, when??? You put this on Ebay When?? Then dropped it into our Marketplace for something different When?? I'm sorry, but I don't have good feelings about your stuff!!

I understand why you might feel iffy. I knew not being able to take a close up pic of the mint would make me look silly, thus the reason I wanted to drop the thread.

I never said I bought this coin from a dealer, I bought it from a pawn shop. I don't know about where you're from, but the pawn shops that actually accept silver coins down here, only sell them by the gram for melt, regardless of date or mintmark. Pawnshops are one of the biggest reasons that old coins are disappearing. If they don't sell by a certain point, they melt them down. If you ever take a trip to south Texas, ( to go to south padre island or whatnot), you'll know what I'm talking about.

I have been going to this pawn shop for years, and this was the first remotely awesome find that I have had. If you think I'm blowing smoke, buy the coin from me, and we'll see.

Yea, I had dealer in my head. I've been in pawn shops looking for coins. I've never seen a coin for sale yet that is sold by weight. I say buy them all up if that is the case and make some bucks!! Btw, I lived in Corpus Christi for 5 yrs.

I've been to South Padre a couple of times for pool tournaments. If it were me, I'd sell the whole airport in Harlingen for $50.

Chris

If it is genuine, then the coin has been Whizzed pretty severely. You will not get that into a problem-free holder.
where do you draw that assumption? if was ever whizzed, it definitely wasn't severely. It looks like a clear coin to me.

If it is genuine, then the coin has been Whizzed pretty severely. You will not get that into a problem-free holder.
where do you draw that assumption? if was ever whizzed, it definitely wasn't severely. It looks like a clear coin to me.

The marks I see in the first photograph in the obverse field in front of Liberty's face look like characteristic whizzing marks. Also, the reverse between T and E of UNITED look like the same type of marks. They may be thumbprints, but they look like whizzing.

About 25% of all of the recent posts on the asking for a grading opinion part of this forum are posts by you JOBESSI, trying to sell your dreck that you bought raw someplace and are trying to sell someplace else. None of these coins are very interesting and worth the time and effort required to read all of the smoke and misinformation that you have been posting daily.

All of your coins are problem coins (or doctored coins) which are poorly represented in what blatently appears to be an effort to mislead others and sell your junk! I took the time to look at some of the coins that you have posted and every single one of them is badly featured and some are downright deceptively presented by substituting other's pictures. I believe that you are here just to promote and sell the junk, altered coins that you have accumulated elsewhere. Are you a Troll or what?

You claim to be a film maker but can not take a decent picture, what gives with you?

Wow...it's funny how an individual can come up with such a statement, especially when all you bring is ill-founded assumptions. You know what people say about "assuming" don't you? It makes an "" out of you and...well just you in this case. The only coin I have even pitched to sell that wasn't slabbed by PCGS or NGC was this raw CC. (I have 100% feedback on over 150 transactions on eBay by the way).

as a matter of fact, to prove a point to you, I will give the CC to the first person OTHER THAN YOU to message me about this thread, FOR FREE. Preferably someone, with some clout on these threads that can tell you that it's not a fake.

I posted the wrong photo, so sue me. I apologized for that. Everyone else in the forum has moved on.

I post a lot of coins to be graded by the people that frequent here because, well, THAT'S WHAT THE FREAKIN' THREAD IS CALLED! A couple of them have been problem coins, and I am thankful that I posted them here, otherwise I might not of known. Hey...that sounds like a good reason to post in a thread like this. Hmmmm...getting the opinion of more experienced collectors about a possible problem coin, NOW THAT'S A PREPOSTEROUS REASON TO POST HERE!!! lol! (can you sense the sarcasm there?)

This is my hobby. I WANT TO GET BETTER. I got tired of buying expensive coins that were already slabbed. I want to hunt and learn from the best.

I am a filmmaker. A film director and editor to be more specific. The director or editor NEVER MANS THE CAMERA! Yet another topic you have jumped the gun on without doing proper research. On this I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. I have made a very comfortable living doing it. (pays for my hobby).

Find something better to do with your time than pick on amateur collectors who are here to learn.

It's yours Kamillion. It ships tomorrow.

Aw, shucks, I'm too late to get the 82-CC. I wanted it to have an even 21 in my collection.

Congrats, Kamillion!

Chris

that different colored stuff in front of the face could be a couple of things

some grease from mint storage that was struck through into coin

an area of plnchet impurity

post mint damage

how does it affecr luster and how does it blend on surface

either way, it is not a major distracter in my eyes

nice new coin Kamillion

give me !!

please (worship)

lol, I believe he said someone with clout.

Besides JOBESSI, I think you have the 2nd least clout on these forums.

you sound jealous

:makepoint:

ps: that was very very nice of him, he gave me the tracking # already!! ill post pics of the coin to verify etc.

thanks!!

Jealous of what? I don't even collect morgans. I'll prove that to you... if you send it to me, i will make a video of me hitting it repeatedly with a sledgehammer, and i'll post it here. Ill even send ir back to you.

Jealous of what? I don't even collect morgans. I'll prove that to you... if you send it to me, i will make a video of me hitting it repeatedly with a sledgehammer, and i'll post it here. Ill even send ir back to you.

a real connoisseur would never say that about any coin....

you should be banned from a website like this for even saying that imo...

(tsk)

Most people just ignore your posts Jobessi , as Oldtrader posted they are all the same – you posting obvious bad coins looking for an opinion.

You say you are here to learn but you continue buying bad coins and then ask for our opinions. Obviously you have not learned to decipher a good coin from a bad one. You are entitled to purchase anything you want, even bad coins have some collectible value. Just don’t expect much respect from anyone here while you continue to make the same posts with the same coins.