• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I see a HTT thread, what about a CWT, Merchant store and Campaign token thread

152 posts in this topic

Henry D. Higgins was a jack of many trades who made barometers, guns, false teeth, eye glasses and Civil War tokens on the side. His tokens are always fun because they have a folk art charm. Here is a very nice example of Fuld CWT variety IN 860 B-2a. Following the words on the "business side" of the piece is an eye teaser.

Higgins copied the U.S. shield side from Patriotic die #163. Higgins probably made the copy by impressing the image from a Civil War token into a soften steel die head. All Indiana primitives are scarce to rare.

IN860B-2aR.jpgIN860B-2aO.jpg

1859 Eleanor Rugg Byrne, Adams/Miller NY-141, 31mm diameter.

One of the rarer tokens by George H. Lovett struck to commemorate the invention of a composition metal used in the manufacture of jewelry.

In 1962 Miller valued this token at $125.00 in Fine condition with no price in UNC.

2ngaetc.jpg

TOKEN (1861-65) CIVIL WAR F-259/445 a

NGC MS65

Sorry, kinda big images from Goodman, but nice clear images.

Not a very expensive token, I bought it raw but it was always one of my favorites.

coppers_obv2.jpg

coppers_rev2.jpg

Sometimes too rare can be an issue as I've been heavily researching these tokens for the last couple of years and have hit a wall.

Designed with the brewery tools of the trade crossed... a broom, a malt spade, and a shovels.

This issue have long mystified token collectors, as this token was thought to have been pre-Hard Times period, then Hard Times Era, however more recent information has placed its date of issue in the 1860's-1870’s. This re-dating however does not affect its status as one of the classic rarities in the field.

REUTER & ALLEY/ HIGHLAND SPRING BREWERY, BOSTON - MaBo-95, Adams 85/Miller 85A, Copper.

NGC AU58 - Ex: Charles Litman collection & the plate coin in Russell Rulau's latest 4th edition Standard catalog of United States Token's.

2cloiu.jpg

Last year I was very fortunate to locate and acquire the other metal strike in high grade.

REUTER & ALLEY/ HIGHLAND SPRING BREWERY, BOSTON - MaBo-95, Adams 85/Miller 85, Brass.

30nj8no.jpg

This is a great Massachusetts rarity that was called by Dr. H.B.P. Wright in his 1898 list of American Store/Business Cards in the American Numismatic Association - Numismatist Vol. 13 stated "I consider this one of the rarest American cards". Dr. Wright also wrote articles between 1899-1901 seeking additional information on this token and received no response.

It was first plated beyond a line drawing in am issue of the 1914 Numismatist "A Very Rare Boston Store Card - Above is illustrated a very rare store card which was issued at Boston Mass., by the Highland Spring Brewery, but about which very little information is now obtainable, Dr. H,B.P. Wright, in his list of American Store Cards published in the Numismatist some years ago considered it one of the rarest American store cards. We would be pleased if one of our members would give us some information regarding the piece, which will be published in the the numismatist." Again no further information was provided.

Info from 1914 to date...

1920 Edgar H. Adams "U.S. Store Cards" called Excessively Rare non plated.

1940 Wayte Raymond "United States Coins and Tokens" (Wayte doesn't use the wording Rare until tokens are above R-6 on the rarity scale) called Very Rare line drawing supplied.

1975 David E. Schenckman stated a Very Rare Boston store card.

1981 Russell Rulau "United States Trade Tokens 1866-1889" Ex. Rare priced at $1,200.00 in VF with no pricing info above that grade. Plated is the Al Zaika VF specimen with small reverse edge dents, tiny nicks, and uneven slightly dark color.

Researching all major exonumia auction catalogs back to the 1980's I've only been able to trace 3 examples. The one I've posted (Finest Known), the Al Zaika VF, and the 1989 Stack's Gilbert Steinberg example first deemed as cleaned AU brass (reserve not meet), then re-sold in the 2003 B&M Gilbert sale properly described as Copper cleaned XF.

As I have recently obtained all of Benjamin P. Wright, M.D.'s 1898 to 1901 ANA Numismatist writings on American Store Business Cards. Dr. Wright considered this token Rarity-8 (2 or 3 known) and valued it at $35.00 around the turn of the century. (For value data gold was $18.00 an ounce)

Edgar Adam's in his 1920 works did not post pricing, however Donald Miller in 1962 valued this token at $350.00 in Fine condition. (For value data gold was $35.00 an ounce)

And a neat write up in Julian Liedman's April 1986 Bowers & Merana / PCAC sale catalog.

29qnudd.jpg

There's lots of info which can be found on this obsolete brewery on the web, here's just a touch...

Brewing started as the Henry H. Reuter & John R. Alley Highland Spring Brewery in 1867. By 1872 the facility was reported to be the largest brewery in the US. It was one of the first to add refrigerating equipment and in 1876 their ale won first prize at The Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.

2lmbg2q.png

Here are two Civil War tokens issued the Mulligan jewery company:

This one had his picture on it. I was included in the "They Loved Themselves" article that the late Jack Detwiler wrote years ago for the "Civil War Token Journal."

PA750O-2bO.jpgPA750O-2bR.jpg

This one has a nice pocket watch on it.

PA750O-1bO.jpgPA750O-1bR.jpg

Sometimes too rare can be an issue as I've been heavily researching these tokens for the last couple of years and have hit a wall.

Designed with the brewery tools of the trade crossed... a broom, a malt spade, and a shovels.

This issue have long mystified token collectors, as this token was thought to have been pre-Hard Times period, then Hard Times Era, however more recent information has placed its date of issue in the 1860's-1870’s. This re-dating however does not affect its status as one of the classic rarities in the field.

REUTER & ALLEY/ HIGHLAND SPRING BREWERY, BOSTON - MaBo-95, Adams 85/Miller 85A, Copper.

NGC AU58 - Ex: Charles Litman collection & the plate coin in Russell Rulau's latest 4th edition Standard catalog of United States Token's.

2cloiu.jpg

Last year I was very fortunate to locate and acquire the other metal strike in high grade.

REUTER & ALLEY/ HIGHLAND SPRING BREWERY, BOSTON - MaBo-95, Adams 85/Miller 85, Brass.

30nj8no.jpg

This is a great Massachusetts rarity that was called by Dr. H.B.P. Wright in his 1898 list of American Store/Business Cards in the American Numismatic Association - Numismatist Vol. 13 stated "I consider this one of the rarest American cards". Dr. Wright also wrote articles between 1899-1901 seeking additional information on this token and received no response.

It was first plated beyond a line drawing in am issue of the 1914 Numismatist "A Very Rare Boston Store Card - Above is illustrated a very rare store card which was issued at Boston Mass., by the Highland Spring Brewery, but about which very little information is now obtainable, Dr. H,B.P. Wright, in his list of American Store Cards published in the Numismatist some years ago considered it one of the rarest American store cards. We would be pleased if one of our members would give us some information regarding the piece, which will be published in the the numismatist." Again no further information was provided.

Info from 1914 to date...

1920 Edgar H. Adams "U.S. Store Cards" called Excessively Rare non plated.

1940 Wayte Raymond "United States Coins and Tokens" (Wayte doesn't use the wording Rare until tokens are above R-6 on the rarity scale) called Very Rare line drawing supplied.

1975 David E. Schenckman stated a Very Rare Boston store card.

1981 Russell Rulau "United States Trade Tokens 1866-1889" Ex. Rare priced at $1,200.00 in VF with no pricing info above that grade. Plated is the Al Zaika VF specimen with small reverse edge dents, tiny nicks, and uneven slightly dark color.

Researching all major exonumia auction catalogs back to the 1980's I've only been able to trace 3 examples. The one I've posted (Finest Known), the Al Zaika VF, and the 1989 Stack's Gilbert Steinberg example first deemed as cleaned AU brass (reserve not meet), then re-sold in the 2003 B&M Gilbert sale properly described as Copper cleaned XF.

As I have recently obtained all of Benjamin P. Wright, M.D.'s 1898 to 1901 ANA Numismatist writings on American Store Business Cards. Dr. Wright considered this token Rarity-8 (2 or 3 known) and valued it at $35.00 around the turn of the century. (For value data gold was $18.00 an ounce)

Edgar Adam's in his 1920 works did not post pricing, however Donald Miller in 1962 valued this token at $350.00 in Fine condition. (For value data gold was $35.00 an ounce)

And a neat write up in Julian Liedman's April 1986 Bowers & Merana / PCAC sale catalog.

29qnudd.jpg

There's lots of info which can be found on this obsolete brewery on the web, here's just a touch...

Brewing started as the Henry H. Reuter & John R. Alley Highland Spring Brewery in 1867. By 1872 the facility was reported to be the largest brewery in the US. It was one of the first to add refrigerating equipment and in 1876 their ale won first prize at The Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.

2lmbg2q.png

Pretty cool and rare token Broadie (thumbs u

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Spring_Brewery_Bottling_and_Storage_Buildings

"The Highland Spring Brewery Bottling and Storage Buildings is located at 154-166 Terrace St. in Mission Hill, Boston (42°19′37″N 71°05′55″W). It became a National Historic Place on May 28, 2010."

Not a particularly rare CWT with a rarity of R2, but I found the strike along with the curious 85 degree ccw die rotation to be a draw for this one. NGC has graded a total of 11 of this token, 10 graded with the Brown (BN) color designation and a single example graded MS63RB . This is the single highest graded at MS65BN, with two examples graded MS64BN.

1861-65_F299-350A_CWT_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsc13c12a4.jpg

1850's Currier & Greeley Tea & Coffee Merchant Store Card Token, Boston Massachusetts, Miller MA-30, Unique R.9 Scovill Manufacturing Uniface Die Trail, Copper, 28mm Diameter.

I know it's a bit early to call this my neatest newp for 2013, but it sure is in the running. The token that this was used for is pretty scarce and I have not been able to locate an image of the Currier & Greeley obverse design with a Eagle as it's never been plated. Researching all major exonumia auction catalogs back to the late 1960's I haven’t been able to trace a single example. These have been mentioned in type as early as 1859 by Charles Bushnell but then not again until 1920 by Edgar Adams. E. Elliot Woodward in 1880 and 1886 did auction off examples of other unique mulled tokens with this reverse die which may have been special re-strikes done by Scovill for J.N.T. Levick. The Massachusetts Historical Society Museum in 1923 did apparently have a example based on a list of the collection done by their curator. Along with a 1901 The Numismatist article of another different mulled obverse were it was once thought to have been a Hard Times Token. Again none of the other mulled tokens have ever been plated either so I'm just scratching the tip of the iceberg as far as research right now. A more common R-6 1855 Currier & Greeley with a Liberty obverse design stuck on a 27-27.5mm copper planchet can be seen below with examples formally in the Q. David Bowers and Dan Holmes collections which is also unknown above VF condition but based on the wreath and berries it's a completely different cut die.

33vyqza.jpg

155jkb7.jpg

dzihw4.png

Another Boston Die Trial which I haven't fully researched yet, but it was also struck by Scovill.

1850's J.J. & W. Beals Clock Establishment, Boston Massachusetts, Miller Ma-20, Uniface Reverse Die Trial, Unlisted, Unique R.9, Brass, Ex: Q. David Bowers Collection

x3fhu.jpg

1g2b9v.png

Just picked this one up a month or so ago. Not rare but I liked the reverse and didn't have an example from Bridgeport so it was a no-brainer.

image_zpsdb36a495.jpgimage_zps4feb6051.jpg

Copper M.L. Marshall Store cards - Morgan L. “Blunt” Marshall operated a general store in Oswego New York and dealt in rare coins, toys, and fly fishing rods.

Top is the 1860 NY-1008 27.2mm diameter.

Bottom is the 1862 NY-695A-1 29mm diameter Civil War Issue Rarity-6 on which you can see the date was re-cut along with addition of a second tree.

f3ymnt.jpg