• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I see a HTT thread, what about a CWT, Merchant store and Campaign token thread

152 posts in this topic

A pair of 1868 Grant Presidential Campaign tokens...

1868 Ulysses Grant & Schuyler Colfax Presidential Campaign Token, Dewitt USG-1868-24, 28mm Diameter Copper.

Design by George h. Lovett, featuring the campaign slogan "Let Us Have Peace".

2f03g8y.jpg

1868 Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Campaign, 32mm Diameter Copper, Dewitt USG-1868-12

30hwm8n.jpg

1880 Charles. W. Hamill & Co., Baltimore, Maryland, Miller-MD-67 / Rulau-Md-Ba-46 / Wright-417, Silvered White Metal, 28mm Diameter, Rarity-4.

These are usually always seen holed for suspension and in really low beat up condition. If you look at the obverse you can see a small guide circle for tapping at 12 o'clock right between CO. & MF. that is part of the obverse die design. When I found this on the browse floor of a show I grabbed it asap since this example had really nice pull-away patina. The rim bump just didn't bother me since all others I've seen are far worse. When I came home I checked some auction archives and discovered a neat provenance I wasn't aware of when I purchased it. Formally in the Louis Eliasberg collection received as a gift from Abe Kosoff.

11l7bpy.jpg

The first time the Windy "Stinky Onion" City's name was ever featured on a token -

1845 Hamilton & White, Chicago, Illinois, Miller Ill-12, 27mm Diameter, Copper.

Robert P. Hamilton and M.L. White were dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries, and Produce located at 139 Lake Street in Chicago. Their partnership was formed in 1844 and in business together until 1853. The obverse of this popular pictorial token featured a prairie schooner drawn by two horses as a whip is being cracked. The obverse -script stated "Going To 139 Lake Street Chicago Illinois" with "Hamilton & White dealers in Dry Goods, Groceries, Produce 1845" on the reverse. If this wasn't dated 1845 it would fall within the end of the Hard Times tokens era which ended in 1844. Dated 1845 it's one of the earliest U.S. Merchant tokens and the first coin, token, or medal to ever have been stuck with the city name Chicago on it which was incorporated just a few years earlier in 1837 and had a population of just 12,000 at time of issue. The name "Chicago" is the French version of the Miami-Illinois word shikaakwa "Stinky Onion" named for the plants common along the Chicago river and in the language of the Potowatomi Indian tribe means "Wild Onion and Smelly". This token was first listed in Charles Ira Bushnell's 1858 An Arrangement of the Tradesmen's Cards, Political Tokens, Election Medals, etc. Alfred H. Satterlee already considered it extremely rare in 1862. Benjamin Wright called stated "this is the rarest of all early available Illinois tokens" which is the same phrase Russell Rulau adapted for all his publications up to 2004. The actual maker of this token has never been confirmed however in 1845 Lake Street actually had two die sinkers Waller located at 77 and White at 72. These are all about AG-VF condition with only about a dozen of survivors known. Well centered but crudely struck in low relief on thick 27mm Large Cent sized diameter copper planchets which had been pitted prior to striking. All are missing at least 1/3 of the rim and some -script -script as the hammer die was uneven or misaligned. Many of the survivors show signs of pitting and lamination striations as issued and have also been damaged such as scratched, bent, holed, double holed, cleaned, dipped, and recolored. The example seen here is one of the finest extant and provenance wise was formally in the Julian Liedman collection of which I've included the 1986 B&M/PCAC sale plates which I matched this to after purchase.

s6i2xu.jpg

TTT from page 9 :(

1895 Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Philadelphia, Copper, 25mm Diameter

A I.O.o.F. pictorial medalet with the obverse featuring a well dressed man blindfolded lost riding a goat. The reverse features the all-seeing eye, (also called the eye of providence, or eye of God) three links to symbolize a chain of friendship, love, and truth bound together, and a open hand reaching out with the heart in unison. These are usually always seen in low grades, abused, or corroded and holed at the top for suspension. The example here is fully proof-like on both the obverse and reverse, red copper as struck with some red and blue patina obtained from storage.

28wf0v8.jpg

1869 Independent Order of Odd Fellows - Philadelphia Fiftieth Anniversary Grand National Celebration, 51mm Diameter, Silvered White Metal

I first saw an example of this medal about a decade ago and really liked the nouveau obverse design however it was holed for suspension which turned me off. Over the years I’ve seen a half a dozen others which had all been abused in some fashion, as these are thick & heavy white metal and never seen offered with a case or box of issue. None have compared to the quality of this specimen which looked wonderfully preserved based on the seller mediocre images. Well it just arrived today and I had a major eyegasm once I had it in hand being fully proof-like with wonderful pull-away patina.

10h2l9g.jpg

1858 H. Mulligan Jewelers, Philadelphia, White Metal, Adams/Miller PA-373, Rulau PA-370B, 33mm Diameter, Reeded Edge, Thick Planchet.

A very rare newp white metal variety to accompany my other copper and brass metal types :)

28mg4sh.jpg

terrific Mulligan token to add to your set. That Oddfellows medal is spectacular and I'm wondering who that fella is above the clasped hands with the seemingly prehensile beard braids?

terrific Mulligan token to add to your set. That Oddfellows medal is spectacular and I'm wondering who that fella is above the clasped hands with the seemingly prehensile beard braids?

Thanks as I'll have to research if the smaller bearded head is just part of the design to fill a field void or of I.O.o.F. actual significance?

A forgotten token issued by eccentric Connecticut lawyer Aaron White.

1860 Aaron White, New Boston, Connecticut, "Bungton" Token, CT-185, 28mm Diameter, Copper.

A forgotten satirical token re-strike by eccentric Connecticut lawyer and coin dealer Aaron White. It's a reproduction of a 27mm diameter counterfeit British evasion half penny featuring Colonel Kirk. White added the first name "Percie" to the obverse and the word "Own" and a "1686" date. A Bungton or also known as Bungtown is humorous name used in the colonies up until the first half of the 19th century. It was originally applied to imitation British half pennies which circulated in American between 1784-1789 some bearing fictitious dates and also used for any copper coin of depreciated value or insignificance. White struck about 200 of the Bungtons in a proof finish althouh did not distribute them as his other medals. Upon his death in 1886 along with his 3 ton hoard of coinage found in his house and barn a remaining group of 191 Bungton was discovered. After Elliot Woodward auctioned off the first group of White's coins Edouard Frossard followed with another sale in 1888. Frossard listed all 191 of the Bungton tokens in one lot but described them as "Pierce Clark" in error. To make matters even worse there was also a theft during Frossard's auction of the White collection in which medals and tokens had been stolen. Reading The Numismatist articles from the time of both sales it's also mentioned that some of the copper coinage from the White hoard had been taken to smelters to be turned into alloy. I'm doubtful the hoard of Bungtons reentered the hobby or the token would be far more common. I have never seen one offered in any American exonumia auction listing, however have seen a couple in extra fine condition which have been sold in the UK along side evasion halfpennies just calling it a "Atkins-60a" with the "a" added to indicate it as a later re-strike of unknown origin.

ztwsiq.jpg

~ Guttag Brothers Rare Coin Dealer Store Cards ~

1923-1926 Guttag Brothers, 30mm Diameter, Rare Coin Dealer Store Cards, Struck by Medallic Art Company / Sculptor Jonathan M. Swanson

Last year I had a chance to purchase a high grade collection of Guttag Bros rare dealer store cards in 3 phases which was assembled in the 1940-50's. The obverse of each features a allegorical scene of a nude muse holding the lamp of knowledge for a boy to study a coin along with 3 different reverse designs. I bought the full collection including all the different metal type duplicates. Since only the bronze column flanked framed reverse design issue is common, however still tough to find variety as a fully struck early die stage without excessive die erosion. I am keeping it intact since this is without a doubt the most complete private collection ever assembled as only American Numismatic Society museum collection holdings come close.

Here's a first look at the at the full collection... Enjoy! :)

BRONZE

m7gn07.jpg

24yzk8m.jpg

COPPER

2zfon5l.jpg

qwzwib.jpg

2q9e34i.jpg

2jczqkx.jpg

29e15ab.jpg

BRASS

66zrb7.jpg

16acua1.jpg

2l89vn.jpg

1izvvt.jpg

ANTIQUE BRONZE - FACTORY APPLIED PATINA

no7mol.jpg

2r60dq0.jpg

2nso6g.jpg

10giclk.jpg

LEAD

s63uqr.jpg

zsplpi.jpg

MAGNESIUM ALLOY

sos37l.jpg

GILT COPPER

219t66u.jpg

2v0coc8.jpg

ZINC

254zcq9.jpg

124zfao.jpg

ALUMINUM

zwlwrk.jpg

vs2bsz.jpg

1861-62 Henry Cook - Coin Dealer “Civil War” Store Card, Boston, Miller MA-BO19 / Fuld F-115Aa-1a, 43mm Copper Planchet, Dies by George H. Lovett, R-7/8.

14x14zc.jpg

This is one of only 4 copper examples which has come to market since 1989 and although examples struck in white metal are rated Rarity-8 in copper composition it's seen less frequently. Previously considered a U.S. Trade Token this has just been assigned a Fuld number F-115Aa-1a and is included as a new Civil War Token in the 2014 fall release of the new reference book on the series. This is the second example I've owned and is very visually pleasing with balanced slightly faded red proof-like surfaces and beautiful deep blue patina which appears when rotated under a light source.

The method of usage with store cards was that when any merchant gave change one was substituted in exchange of a penny. All other merchants would also accept them as face value of 1 cent and this was a good way to advertise at the time. However most all store cards were struck on cent sized planchets for ease of commerce, earlier ones the diameter of a large cent. By the time Cook had this struck other dealers such as John Curtis, Edward Cogan, William Idler, etc had switched to Indian Head Cent sized small cent store cards. So although Cook decided to go gigantic in diameter at 43mm these didn't function well for the advertisement route of store cards. It’s the largest of any merchant advertising cards ever stuck, as large is considered 32mm. Cook might have very well had a good amount of these re-melted as the copper weight far exceeded the face value intended.

Henry Cook who would become one of America’s first rare coin dealers was born in Maine in 1821, a seventh-generation Mayflower descendant. He moved to Boston when he was 16 years old and gained employment with a company in the export trade. At the age of 21 he was sent to South America to handle the firm’s interests on the west coast there. Later he served as mate aboard a sailing vessel which traded along that coast and with islands in the Pacific. By the 1840s he was an avid coin collector. In the 1850s he relinquished seafaring for the security of an on land occupation in Boston, and entered the boot and shoe trade at 74 Friend Street. He was fond of looking through copper half cents and cents in circulation and picking out scarce dates which he displayed in a counter in his shoe shop. It seems that he was active in the rare coin business by the mid-1850s. Circa 1861-62 he commissioned a selection of patriotic medals to be struck from his own designs with dies cut by George Hampton Lovett. Another smaller 28mm copper Cook store card exists muled with the reverse die from a circa 1850's Haviland Stevenson & Co. Druggists from Charleston, South Carolina, Miller SC-3. It was written about in the pages of The American Numismatic Journal in July 1889 and April 1892 by Horatio Storer who stated these had not been struck to the order or knowledge of Mr. Cook. In the September 1880 Jenks sale is was mentioned Mr. Cook has no information and never having heard of it before and it's believed that not more than two or three were struck. Now it isn't uncommon for merchants to have forgotten about their store cards as some Lyman Low interviewed couldn't provide any valuable information either. So this may very well be a tentative non completed prototype for a token design Mr. Cook rejected. In 1866 still located in his shoe shop with coins at 74 Friend Street, Cook advertised as “Numismatist and Antiquarian” rare and antique coins, medals, autographs, books, bought, sold and exchanged with cabinets arranged and cataloged for public sale in Boston or New York. Also purchases made at all the coin and book sales in either of the above mentioned cities on commission. On April 6 of the same year he was elected treasurer at the founding meeting of the New England Numismatic and Archaeological Society. In 1869 Cook issued a 12-page listing coin and medal circular containing a few remarks on the American series of Coins and Medals.

I have been slowly collecting a few of these lately.

All raw.

CivilWarNotOneCentIndian.JPG

S_Steinfeld_1863_French_Cognac_Bitters.jpg

Oliver_B_Miller.jpg

I think they are all common so nothing really special but it is a start along with my two newer books 'United States Tokens and Medals' and 'A Guide Boo of Civil War Tokens'.

That should put me on the right path.

1863 Major General George B. McClellan, 32mm Diameter, Copper, Dewitt GMcC-1864-13 / Schenkman C-24, Struck by die sinker Joseph H. Merriam.

J. Doyle Dewitt in 1959 stated this medal is dated 1863 as that is when the dies were made and that it was distributed during McClellan's 1864 Presidential Campaign which is not the case. Joseph H. Merriam struck a series of "Civil War Union General" medals in 1863 which also included Major General Philip Kearney and Major General Joseph Hooker featuring the similar obverse die design and the exact reverse die. David E. Schenkman considered it "Rare" in his 1980 article on Boston medalist Joseph H. Merriam which featured plated examples of all Merriam's works however he was not able to provide photographs of this McClellan. The provenance on this example traces back to A. Ramsey McCoy who's Political Campaign medal & token collection was already hailed as a major accomplishment in 1866. This includes a hand written ticket by Hillyer Ryder stating this was "McCoy's first seen in copper" and as Ramsey traveled the country in his pursuit may very well have received this directly from Merriam at the time of issue. McCoy's collection was sold in 1918 by Thomas Elder. This was won by Hillyer Ryder who's collection was later acquired by Fredrick C. C. Boyd collection. Continuing the provenance trail Boyd's collection was acquired intact from his widow by John J. Ford, Jr. A Superb Gem which in hand is fully proof-like brilliant red and although NGC conservatively opted to call this RB they could have designated it as RD. Exonumia like this is the reason I strongly doubt I will ever collect another federally issued coin!

2w235sp.jpg

1864 Major General George B. McClellan Presidential Campaign, Dewitt GMcC-1864-10, 32mm Diameter, White Metal, Struck by William Key.

Obverse: McClellan & Pendleton Democratic Candidates / Reverse: The Constitution As It Is The Hope Of The Union.

The obverse die crack occurred during early stage and is common on all and stretches rim to rim directly through the bust of McClellan.

11kl4r9.jpg

1866 Major General John White Geary, Campaign for Governor of Pennsylvania, 31mm Diameter, Plain Edge, Copper, Struck by William H. Key

John White Geary had a colorful career as a governor of two states and was known as a consummate administrator as far west as California. Standing six feet, five and one half inches tall—Pennsylvania's tallest governor—and weighing 260 pounds, Geary was forceful, opinionated, compassionate, and sometimes compulsive. Geary was born December 30, 1819, in Mount Pleasant, Westmoreland County, the son of Richard Geary, an ironmaster and schoolmaster of Scottish heritage, and Margaret White, a native of Maryland with English roots.

Geary's mother had "inherited" several families of slaves, but she was determined to educate them and then set them free. This close family association with slaves had a great influence toward a love of freedom and policies during Geary's political career. At age fourteen, he attended Jefferson College in Canonsburg, but interrupted his studies when his father died in a wagon accident. His father had left ironmaking to become a teacher, so young Geary, barely older than the students, took his father's place for three years until he could save enough money to support his mother. Finally graduating from Jefferson College in 1841, and later completing studies in civil engineering and law, he first went to work in Kentucky before returning to Pennsylvania to work for the Allegheny Portage Railroad.

In 1843, he married Margaret Ann Logan, with whom he had several sons, but she died in 1853. Geary remarried the widowed Mary Church Henderson in 1858 in Carlisle. By then he had already risen to military and political prominence.

In 1849, after military service in the Mexican War, where he rose to the rank of colonel, President James Polk appointed Geary postmaster of San Francisco. In 1850, he was elected that city's first mayor. President Pierce appointed him governor of the controversial Kansas Territory in 1856, where he served for six months. Geary County, Kansas, was renamed in 1869 for John Geary after citizens objected to the county being named after Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Politically a , Geary was a general throughout the Civil War, serving at Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg and was wounded several times. At the battle of Wauhatchie, Tennessee, Jefferson Davis ordered his six thousand Confederate troops to attack Geary's 1,500. During the battle, Geary's son Edward died in his arms and, motivated by revenge, Geary was victorious. After Sherman's destruction of Atlanta, Geary accepted the peaceful surrender of Savannah, Georgia, and became the military governor of the city in December 1864 before returning in January 1865 to the final days of the Southern war campaign.

After the war, despite Geary's dislike of Simon Cameron, Cameron's political machine chose him as the gubernatorial candidate in 1866. He had a sincere desire to guide Pennsylvania in a reunited country and won election handily over Hiester Clymer. Once in office Geary became independent, attacking the political influence of the railroads and vetoing a vast number of special interest bills. Governor Geary won a close reelection over Asa Packer without Cameron's support.

During his administration, the prosperity of Pennsylvania's growing industry was apparent, and Geary's government spent heavily on education and social programs, including a war orphans' home system. He also appointed a commission to handle claims of Pennsylvania citizens who lost property during the Confederate invasion of the state. After the disastrous Avondale mine fire on September 6, 1869, in Luzerne County, that claimed 111 lives, including nineteen children, Geary sponsored a bill that significantly improved mine safety, tax incentives for business, and began a fight for compulsory school education that would not be settled for thirty years.

In his annual message in 1871, Geary recommended sweeping reforms that were not popular with party factions, but he triumphed to the extent that a convention convened in 1872–1873, bringing about a new state constitution by 1874. At the time he left office, Geary faced intense criticism over payments made to Pennsylvania by the federal treasury to reimburse the state for its Civil War spending. Geary had appointed an agent to recover the funds and approved a 10 percent commission, which skimmed $300,000 in agent fees out of three million dollars recovered. No charges were ever filed.

Governor Geary died unexpectedly of a heart attack at age 53 on February 8, 1873, two weeks after leaving office and is buried in Harrisburg Cemetery.

o58f2g.jpg

24dki9t.jpg

1840 William Henry Harrison, Bunker Hill Jubilee Presidential Campaign Medal, DeWitt-WHH-1840-4 / Satterlee-71, 43mm Diameter, White Metal.

One of the original 1840 issued medals worn as a badge during the Bunker Hill dedication celebration. This was one of the first political medals struck by Boston medalists Francis N. Mitchell. All of the originals are seen holed for suspension directly on the rim above the N in Henry. Already considered scarce in 1862 by Alfred H. Satterlee and by W. Elliott Woodward who offered a so called original tin in poor condition in May of 1863. The dies of this Harrison medal just as the obverse Henry Clay DeWitt HC-1844-4/ Satterlee-126 cut by Mitchell were obtained by New York die-sinker George Hampton Lovett who issued proof re-strikes circa 1860 in copper, silver, and white metal medal types. The example below as far as strike, proof-like surface reflectivity, and tin pest oxidation betters the finest in the John J. Ford, Jr's sale earlier Wayte Raymond obtained through the purchase of Fredrick C. C. Boyd's collection.

24gn0ba.jpg

Picked up these two tokens at the Heritage Long Beach auction. The Brimelow token is one of my favorite busts of George Washington, not because it is particularly artistic, but because it is charming and a bit goofy. It's referred to as the "ugly bust" by some sources, but I like it.

The 2nd token is a "THE FEDERAL UNION IT MUST AND SHALL BY PRESERVED" typographical error die #223. The token is struck exceptionally well, and is the single finest graded by NGC (at least according to the census).

Sorry for the scuffed holders -- I buffed on both of them for quite a long time to no avail. The toning on both is significantly better than the HA pictures would have led one to think. I particularly like the blues on the Brimelow token.

-Brandon

----------------------------------------------

1863_Brimelow_NY630K-2a_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zps14492f2a.jpg

1861_F223-328a_UnionByPreserved_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsc699a47b.jpg

Ok, here are three other CWTs I picked up at a Brick and Mortar on my road trip last week to see family.

1) NGC got the 208 obverse die attribution wrong, as they called it 207. I didn't care about their mis-attribution all that much, as the token speaks for itself. The eye appeal was off the charts, and this one just glows in hand. Also, the 410 reverse die usually doesn't come this nicely struck up, so that was a selling point.

1863_FlagOfOurUnion_F208-410_NGC_MS64RB_composite_zps6f828ce6.jpg

2) The 442 "NEW YORK" reverse die strike is weak, but I particularly liked the misaligned reverse die and the overall eye appeal of the token otherwise. Also, given the price I paid for this one at $60, I'd buy CW tokens of this caliber all day long.

1863_Washington_110-442_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsda060778.jpg

3) The D.L. Wing store card is undergraded in my opinion by 2 points, and it has great eye appeal. I also liked the centering-dot and the "UNION FLOUR" theme on the reverse (store card die #1372).

1861-65_DLWing_F10H-1a_NGC_MS62BN_composite_zps7583164b.jpg

Cheers,

-Brandon

I first laid eyes on this a few years back and thanks to Mike at NER.......he let me purchase it.

A short quote from Mike's website regarding this Merchant card.

[Q]The Havana Express Merchant tokens are extremely popular amongst token collectors.

They have a fantastic pictorial of a horse rider underneath the line, The First Expressman. T

hese pieces are known struck in Silver, Copper, Brass, White Metal and Silvered White Metal.

Most are known in some degree of Uncirculated. The Silvered white metal example pictured above is the

finest example of this token we have personally ever seen.

Toning such as is depicted on that piece is very rare in the Merchant token series and we suspect there is not another like it in existence. [/Q]

Words cannot describe this one. The luster is non stop, toning is a superb rainbow. And it even exhibits pull away toning

on it.

This token is a silvered white metal, fairly rare and never seen in such high preservation and toning. I would dare

to say that another does not exist.

I found on the internet an article regarding this token and wanted to share with all of you.

Spare Change column by Fred L. Reed III: Commission merchant card rare.

John W. Carrington was born in Danbury, Conn., in 1817 and came to New York City as a teenager to make his mark.

He operated as a commission merchant in New York City as early as 1834, when Longworth’s New-York Register and City Directory

listed him at that occupation at 13 Dutch St. in lower Manhattan.

Carrington also attended the University of the City of New York and became a professional civil engineer.

Carrington went to Cuba to build a railroad there and then built another in Nicaragua.

When he returned to the states, he became associated with Adams & Co. Fluent in both French and Spanish, and having equipped

himself with useful business experience, in 1851 he formed his own agency to fill orders for merchants of Panama and South America

for goods available at New York City.

In 1854, he associated with an A.M. Hinkley in a baggage and freight express at 78 Broadway, but this arrangement did not last long.

He then formed his Havana Express, also at 78 Broadway. Eventually, the company operated all over Cuba and was restyled Island of Cuba

Express circa 1858. Later it began to also serve customers in Brazil and Mexico.

Carrington would operate several businesses under the umbrella firm of Carrington & Co.

He charged 5 percent on purchases made for his overseas customers.

The Carrington & Co. store card is a pictorial design illustrating a man on a horse galloping past a mile marker.

This pre-Civil War store card was issued in several metals.

It is cataloged in Russ Rulau’s Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900 as NY 144 to NY 147A.

In a large ad in Harper’s Weekly, Aug. 6, 1864, Adams Express and nine other similar companies, including American Express, Wells, Fargo & Co.,

Harnden’s Express and Kinsley & Co’s Express, endorsed Carrington & Co.’s services. Carrington & Co.’s Express and Purchasing Agency’s ad in Trow’s 1865 New York City

Directory located the company at No. 40 Broadway with “expresses to Havana and all parts of the West India islands, Central & South America, Mexico, &c.”

The firm is listed in the 1865 edition of John Disturnell’s Railway and Steamship Guide Giving the Railroad and Steamboat Arrangements also at No. 40 Broadway.

However, a notice announcing a chartered “Pleasure trip to the Mediterranean and Black Sea” commencing May 12, 1866, in the collections of Stanford University, lists

Carrington & Co. at a 30 Broadway address. In March 1879, the partners were listed as John W. Carrington and Raymond Carrington, relationship unknown.

The firm was absorbed by Baldwin & Co. John W. Carrington died April 21, 1895, in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Fred L. Reed iii has been a collector and writer for many years. Reach him at www.fredwritesright.com.

1850's Carrington & Company "Havana Express" M-NY-147A New York

NGC MS67 Ex: David Bowers

Image done by Todd

Havanasilverobv_zpsd3fnrshs.jpg

Havanasilverrev_zpshhqcdy62.jpgc23be0fc6cdfee4d8ac51084b3d67727_zps9104cd5a.jpg

Here's a first look at a token I was thrilled to acquire last year which has only been seen by a few collectors since issued... Enjoy! :)

A Mule of Brown, Curtiss, & Vance, Louisville, KY, and C.W. Jackson, Coal Dealer, Philadelphia, PA, Merchant Store Cards, 28mm Diameter, Copper, Plain Edge, Miller-KY-3.

This KY/PA mule is the rarest of the Parrot Head eagle Brown, Curtiss, & Vance varieties which was unknown to Benjamin Wright however Donald Miller already valued it at nearly 2 ounces of gold in 1962. It is unique as the only known example which has never been plated in any reference guide. The normal Brown, Curtiss, & Vance store card is quite scarce in high grades as are most southern issues. Russell Rulau with all his exonumia connections was unable to locate a example to plate and used Wayte Raymond's 1940 line drawings for the basic non mule variety. This Miller-KY-3 U.S. Merchant Store Card is a mule of a 28mm Obverse Die 1845-50 Brown, Curtiss, & Vance, Dealer in Dry Goods, Louisville, KY token and 28mm Diameter Obverse Die 1851 C.W. Jackson Philadelphia, Coal Dealer, Miller PA-234 on the reverse. With both being over 700 miles apart from one another this token served no purpose as a store advertising card for either merchant. This mule is an intentionally commissioned fantasy strike which was made to order at the request of a token collector. This practice was quite common with the likes of Levick, Bushnell and others to own something unique and create rarities within the series.

25ip37s.jpg