• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I see a HTT thread, what about a CWT, Merchant store and Campaign token thread

152 posts in this topic

This is one of the very early Lincoln pieces after his relatives resurrected some rails that he MIGHT HAVE split for use in a publicity stunt they arranged a week before the 1860 national convention that was in Chicago. The dies were cut by the Childs Company of the Chicago. Before this Lincoln was known as “Honest Abe” and “Old Abe.” After this he was also known as the “Rail splitter Candidate.”

This piece is more common in white metal than in copper has it is shown here.

AL186010O.jpgAL186010R.jpg

This is a touch later, but here is a cool piece I picked up last year. It is an 1866 token reverse by John Bolen. According to Stacks, "Musante said this die was cut in 1866 and traded to J.W. Klein in 1872".

Ex. David Bowers Collection

Bolendie.jpg

This is a touch later, but here is a cool piece I picked up last year. It is an 1866 token reverse by John Bolen. According to Stacks, "Musante said this die was cut in 1866 and traded to J.W. Klein in 1872".

Ex. David Bowers Collection

Bolendie.jpg

NER, That's a very cool die! (thumbs u

When you start striking I'd like a token! ;):D

How about a glass of Miller? This first piece was a "good for" although it does not say "good for" on it. Like most Civil War tokens that could be redeemed for something, this piece is rare.

WI510AB4bO.jpgWI510AB4bR.jpg

And here is the much more common Miller beer CWT. This is one is quite obtainable.

WI510AB1aO.jpgWI510AB1aR.jpg

And yes, THE Frederick Miller issued these pieces during the Civil War. Company has since played musical chairs as a part of some much larger corporate conglomerates. The Plankroad Brewery has long been part of the Miller brand. Years ago when Miller was marketing an economy brew called Red Dog Beer, the brewer was listed as “the Plankroad Brewery.”

I have several that are "entry level" in terms of condition and will post as I can. I am also learning to use a new camera so bear with me :blush: I have picked these up at auctions( most under $10 ) along the way and finally have enough to make it worth investigating. As a result I ordered the Rulua ? book and hope to join in the fun:)

IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

From the 2010 Stack's Americana Auction From the Q. David Bowers Collection.

MEDAL 1860 CAMPAIGN DEWITT-AL-1860-38 CU MS64RB

Joseph H. Merriam, Boston die-sinker

1860Lincolnnomoreslaveterritories-1.jpg

JoeHookerO.jpgJoeHookerR.jpg

Meet Union General, Fightin’ Joe Hooker. Joe engaged in some big talk before he got his chance to run the show in the spring of 1863. On paper he had good plan drawn up before the Battle of Chancellorsville, but then he lost his nerve and failed to pull the trigger. Hooker’s men outnumbered the Confederate forces by 2 to 1, but he failed to act.

In the mean time Lee divided his already outnumbered army and sent Stonewall Jackson around the Union forces on a forced march (of 28 miles I got tired driving it in a car. ;) ) and flanked them. If darkness had not set in, the Jackson’s men might have almost destroyed the Union Army. Jackson was looking for a plan of attack at dusk when his own men mistook him for the enemy and shot him. Stonewall Jackson died a few days later as a result of “friendly fire.”

After Chancellorsville Fightin’ Joe gave up his command and was eventually assigned to the western theater. There in a supporting role, he proved to be a competent senior officer.

Fightin’ Joe might be best remembered for the professional ladies who followed his staff around. It’s supposedly where the term “hookers” originated. Joe liked his whisky and his ladies so he wasn't all bad. ;)

This piece is supposedly one of only about ten known examples of this medalet. The late Steve Tannenbaum told me that it is among the “poorest known” since most of the others are supposed to be in Choice Mint State. Nevertheless that has not discouraged a couple of advanced collectors from pressing me to sell it to them. I bought it when I had a booth at a FUN show several years ago from a retired dealer who was selling off his stock as he walked the floor.

Boston die sinker, Joseph Merriam, cut the dies for this piece. It is signed below Hooker’s shoulder. Joe Hooker was a Massachusetts resident. Like most Merriam items the mintage was miniscule.

Medalet promoting the Party and Abraham Lincoln for president, 1860. Brass. DeWitt AL 1860-59;

Listed in his standard reference, A Century of Campaign Buttons, as a pro-Lincoln item, J. Doyle DeWitt states that this token was "probably one of the earliest pieces of the campaign." Fashioned after an earlier Whig token (Low 58), it demonstrates the centrality of the slavery issue to the platform, though Lincoln himself tried to remain neutral on the question, opposing only the extension of slavery into the territories, and not the institution itself.

e8796da6.jpg

Great stuff everyone....lets keep them coming :grin:

One of my favorite Merchant tokens,I love them so much I have a set now:cloud9:

Although more commonly known by the Rulau and Miller storecard token numbers, this is also listed in Kenny as Robinson 1. The obverse is based on the type 2 Higley with "VALVE" although it is not a close copy. According to Robinson's price list, reproduced in Kenny, 20 examples were produced in silver and 150 examples were produced in each of the following metals: brass, copper, nickel, plated and in tin. Robinson called this storecard the Granby copy after the city where the original coppers were produced.

1861 Hartford Conn F 210 A 1B NGC 62PL R7

49a9fd00.jpg

1861 Hartford Conn F 210 A 1D NGC 63 Copper nickel R7

2e8e0bb0.jpg

1861 Hartford Conn F 210 A 1E NGC 62PL White Metal R8

AlfredSRobisonwhitemetalMS62PL.jpg

1861 HARTFORD F-210A-1F NGC 623 Silver R9

b0f50dbf.jpg

I just returned from Central States, and picked up some nice newps for my collection. I was really happy with this one. It is Providence RI, 700G-1a in brass. I love the Burnside pictorial, and this is the first RI CWT in my collection.

CWTRI700G2bobv.jpgCWTRI700G2brev.jpg

I just returned from Central States, and picked up some nice newps for my collection. I was really happy with this one. It is Providence RI, 700G-1a in brass. I love the Burnside pictorial, and this is the first RI CWT in my collection.

CWTRI700G2bobv.jpgCWTRI700G2brev.jpg

Nice one! :headbang: