• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I imagining things, or does this collector have a chip on his shoulder?

41 posts in this topic

His initial email to me:

"Looking for an approval service that has honest prices (Not like LCC). Please advise.

Also I am a small time collector (hobby)

Thank you for your time."

My reply:

"Good morning Terry,

I occasionally send coins out on approval, based on numismatic references which are provided to me. I also offer a full and unconditional return privilege for coins which are paid for in advance. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Sincerely,

Mark"

His reply:

" I am looking for a quality dealer- Sound like you are looking for someone that spends a lot.

This does not sound like a good mix.

I will continue to purchase at coin shows and private auctions.

Disregard my inquiry."

My reply:

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, but that is obviously your choice. Curiously, would you expect me to offer approval service without having good references before doing so?

If you have looked over my inventory offerings, my prices and my numismatic background, and/or have heard about me from others, I would hope that you would know I am a quality dealer.

As per your request, I will disregard your inquiry.

Please take a moment to examine our email exchange below - it leads me to the conclusion that, for reasons unknown to me, you have a chip on your shoulder.

Best of enjoyment in your collecting."

His reply:

"Childish"

I do not plan to reply again.

Well it must be a minimal hobby to him as he cannot recognize quality coins and also expects someone to send him coins without any references. He will eventually hit that barricade in the road if he expects this from any other reputable dealer he tries to contact also.

Maybe he misinterpreted “numismatic references” to mean references pertaining to fine taste in coins as opposed to a trustworthy individual which is how I think you meant it. That’s the only way I can make any sense of “Sounds like you are looking for someone who spends a lot.” (shrug)

Email is easily misunderstood. People tend not to give their messages sufficient thought.

I would think that the "looking for..." message was sent to many persons/organizations.

My first review of the message is that it is meant to elicit less than stellar remarks concerning LCC (maybe in support of some legal pursuit).

The second review of the message led me to the conclusion that he was fishing for a no money down/no references dingbat dealer that he could set up to take advantage of, and the LCC thing was added to lend credence in the eyes of the person reading his message and give the benefit of the doubt concerning his integrity level.

Note that the "little guy/hobby- no money" card was played immediately and when you courteously responded, he states he will "CONTINUE to purchase at coin shows and private auctions...." (hmmmmm), and AGAIN plays a no money/your expensive card.These are not the words of a person pursuing an honest agenda with an honest approval service Dealer with astellar reputation.

He appears to be a person that does not like being "caught" and/or questioned as to his true intentions.

I think you may have given this person to much integrity from the beginning.

Then again, I could have a chip on my shoulder, via that Logic thing.....

John Curlis

I like your responses Mark, especially the "examine our e-mail exchange." Doing business with this guy would have led to a lot of heartache on your part. Now it's time to smile.

That was good that you weren't able to sell to him Mark. The competition to get your coins is already hot enough . lol

Martin

Sorta reminds me of this guy Mark. Wasn't there some guy named Todd a couple years ago? :hi:

Suspect Arrested In Major Coin Theft By Check

Tue, 03/15/2011 - 5:30pm — ncic

The Numismatic Crime Information Center (Numismaticcrimes.org) is assisting the Poinsett County Sheriff’s office in identifying dealers who were victims of a suspect identified as David Todd Young. Alias; David Todd, Todd Young, Todd Davis, David Yung, Thomas Yung and David Young. Young has written bad checks for coins across the country. The losses are in the tens of thousands of dollars. The checks were written in the name of; Davids Coins, AVP Productions, Deltaland Metals, Big Man Motors, Youngs Lawncare and Greenway Lawncare. The suspect is currently incarcerated and bond has been set at $50,000. Additional warrants are pending.

I was certainly perplexed by the tone of the person's emails, as well as the conclusions that he jumped to.

And If he had been a bit less impolite, I would have made an effort to try to find out what he wanted.

He wanted you to send him coins free of charge with return privileges, so he could in the interim, list them on e-Bay for a 20% mark-up. If they didn't sell, he'd send them back to you.

He wanted you to send him coins free of charge with return privileges, so he could in the interim, list them on e-Bay for a 20% mark-up. If they didn't sell, he'd send them back to you.
If so, you left out the "without references" part. ;)

I was certainly perplexed by the tone of the person's emails, as well as the conclusions that he jumped to.

And If he had been a bit less impolite, I would have made an effort to try to find out what he wanted.

Sometimes, Mark, I think you are too trusting. I remember the incident a few years ago where you sent someone a coin on approval, and he skipped town.

I'm just glad that this guy showed his colors right away. I would have hated to see it happen to you again.

Chris

Sounds to me like LCC left Terry with a bad taste in his mouth, and he is taking it out on you. I see nothing that you've done wrong, Mark, but you don't need me to tell you that. :)

I used to live near and deal with LCC and their prices are high for the quality. This guy, however, is living in a dreamworld.

He did you a favor.

100,000,000,000% correct

mark he did you an extreme good favor as he told you that he is a with a huge chip on his shoulder MAKES NO SENCE and has anger with mental issues

and someone you dont EVER want to do biz with

His initial email to me:

"Looking for an approval service that has honest prices (Not like LCC). Please advise.

Also I am a small time collector (hobby)

Thank you for your time."

My reply:

"Good morning Terry,

I occasionally send coins out on approval, based on numismatic references which are provided to me. I also offer a full and unconditional return privilege for coins which are paid for in advance. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Sincerely,

Mark"

His reply:

" I am looking for a quality dealer- Sound like you are looking for someone that spends a lot.

This does not sound like a good mix.

I will continue to purchase at coin shows and private auctions.

Disregard my inquiry."

My reply:

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion, but that is obviously your choice. Curiously, would you expect me to offer approval service without having good references before doing so?

If you have looked over my inventory offerings, my prices and my numismatic background, and/or have heard about me from others, I would hope that you would know I am a quality dealer.

As per your request, I will disregard your inquiry.

Please take a moment to examine our email exchange below - it leads me to the conclusion that, for reasons unknown to me, you have a chip on your shoulder.

Best of enjoyment in your collecting."

His reply:

"Childish"

I do not plan to reply again.

Wow that sounds like the logic my now ex fiancée would use on me when we would argue. I had no idea how she came to many of her conclusions!! No matter what I said she would argue the opposite.

"Childish!"

lol

jom