• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I imagining things, or does this collector have a chip on his shoulder?

41 posts in this topic

Beware of strangers who want you to send rare coins on approval and who don't want to provide references. He was probably calling on a disposable cell phone and uses a P.O. box. Or, am I being paranoid?

Beware of strangers who want you to send rare coins on approval and who don't want to provide references. He was probably calling on a disposable cell phone and uses a P.O. box. Or, am I being paranoid?
It was an email exchange.

He obviously knows nothing regardling quality numismatic items, nor basic communication skills and therefore does not belong on your(nor anyone elses) clientele list. Be glad it has ended before engaging in commerce. I do not see any possible outcome toward a profitable exchange by you or any dealer. Great luck, then that's just my opinion.

Jim

Maybe he misinterpreted “numismatic references” to mean references pertaining to fine taste in coins as opposed to a trustworthy individual which is how I think you meant it. That’s the only way I can make any sense of “Sounds like you are looking for someone who spends a lot.” (shrug)

How could he possibly misinterpret this? I think Mark's intention was clear (especially given the "based on" language). Is there anyone who genuinely believes that some one is going to send them coins for free on a misguided sense of trust that the buyer is honest and will pay? He is delusional. I would ask him if he had coins that he would like to sell to on an approval basis using the same method. I wonder what his response would have been to that.

I was certainly perplexed by the tone of the person's emails, as well as the conclusions that he jumped to.

And If he had been a bit less impolite, I would have made an effort to try to find out what he wanted.

I wonder if he did look at your inventory, decided that your coins were priced out of his range, and was thinking along those lines in his second emai.

That is, he was responding to being unable to afford your coins, not responding to your email.

At any rate, no loss.

RYK

I was certainly perplexed by the tone of the person's emails, as well as the conclusions that he jumped to.

And If he had been a bit less impolite, I would have made an effort to try to find out what he wanted.

I wonder if he did look at your inventory, decided that your coins were priced out of his range, and was thinking along those lines in his second emai.

That is, he was responding to being unable to afford your coins, not responding to your email.

At any rate, no loss.

RYK

His email was generated through my website, so my guess is that he had already viewed my inventory before he sent his first message. Still, your speculation makes as much or more sense as anything I can come up with.