• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1932-S...Grade...Toning or details?

18 posts in this topic

I just bought this 32s quarter slabbed by some remedial grading company. What's your grade on it, and is that natural toning, or is it gonna end up in a details holder?

grt0784l_1.jpggrt0785l_1.jpg

You could possibly send it in to NCS and they could remove the nastiness and restore it to what it should be.

I'd post this in the 'Ask NCS' forum and see what they say. If it's PVC then it needs to be treated ASAP and save the coin. If it's not then they could at-least take the color off if you'd like them to. They're pretty flexible about what they do if you only want certain things done to the coin; i.e. one half of one side of a coin conserved.

The thing that concerns me isn't the coloring, but the crack/scratch on the far right of the right wing extending most of the length of the wing. What is it? Could be a die crack.

In these images, the obverse looks AU-55, and the reverse looks MS-63, so I don't know how much confusion is due to imaging style. The coin needs to be conserved, and I don't like the colors much. This might be an appropriate for being dipped (as in the coin doctoring procedure, not conservation). That would make it bright as the day it was struck, but at least the offending pollutants would be gone.

I agree with James. I see no PVC damage. The green looks like it may be but I believe this is just a bad dip. I think another dip would probably bring it back to white. It looks like it still has some luster so hopefully one dip would do it. Too much and you'll lose what luster is remaining.

AU 58--Artificial Tone. MAYBE a 61 on a good day. That coin probably wouldn't MS in a NGC or PCGS slab. May have surface issues. It is authentic, though, see the die striation mark above the D in Dollar. That excludes it as a counterfeit.

I thought dipping your coins was bad? NCS will clean dirty coins? what do I need to buy to dip, or should I just send it to NCS?

Dipping coins IS bad!

However, under some circumstances, dipping a "bad" coin may not hurt it any worse than it is damaged already. And it MIGHT remove something really bad from the surfaces.

This is based on anecdotal evidence. I personally have never owned, used, borrowed or bought even a single drop of coin dip. But I have had coins professionally dipped (as in "cleaned" or "doctored") on very rare occasions.

Well, FWIW, I like it the way it is. If I wanted to sell it, and if I wanted it in a higher-tier slab for that, and if the higher-tier market graders felt, for whatever reason, it was an inappropriate candidate for the marketplace like that, then I'd consider dipping, or other such extremes. If I didn't want to sell it like that, though, I'd let it alone.

I thought dipping your coins was bad? NCS will clean dirty coins? what do I need to buy to dip, or should I just send it to NCS?

Do not dip the coin yourself as you will probably ruin it.

NCS can dip to conserve a coin if they feel it will help.

I have no idea why the coin has those funky colors on the reverse.

It does not look natural and most collectors find that type of spotty tone unappealing. What did you pay for this one ??

This coin is MS63 all day long... Weather we like the color or not is another story. I think it would slab with NGC or PCGS based on these images