• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does CAC offer any type of guarantee?

19 posts in this topic

...if so what does it entail? :popcorn:

If they feel they stickered the coin in error, they'll scratch the sticker off and pay you the difference. Given the premium is very small, if anything at all for the sticker, you're not going to get rich. I believe they will also buy the coin from you if you want.

I bought a very expensive CAC approved coin from an Internet/piblic auction that I did not like. CAC bought the coin from me at my purchase price. CAC called the piece "a B minus" coin at the time that they bought from me.

I bought a very expensive CAC approved coin from an Internet/piblic auction that I did not like. CAC bought the coin from me at my purchase price. CAC called the piece "a B minus" coin at the time that they bought from me.
And if you had tried to get the company which graded it to agree that the coin was over-graded and take it off your hands at your cost......

I strongly suspect that they would have declined.

And if you had tried to get the company which graded it to agree that the coin was over-graded and take it off your hands at your cost......

Is "a B minus" coin necessarily overgraded and, if it isn't overgraded, why should the grading company buy it back??

Is "a B minus" coin necessarily overgraded and, if it isn't overgraded, why should the grading company buy it back??

That was apparently CAC's opinion of the coin. If I remember correctly, Bill thought it was over-graded.

That's good to know. Their website says that they guarantee but doesn't elaborate as to how. Thanks for the explanation. That's a heck of a guarantee.

Could go either way.

CAC pledges to buy any stickered coin, sight unseen.

One way or another the coin will find its way back to the TPG for their grade guarantee.

Lance.

Could go either way.

CAC pledges to buy any stickered coin, sight unseen.

One way or another the coin will find its way back to the TPG for their grade guarantee.

Lance.

CAC generally posts strong sight-unseen bids for many coins, and they sometimes buy other coins which they do not have bids on. But they do not guarantee to buy any and all CAC coins.

...thanks mark. so if a coin turns, for example, does the collector have a choice

or what would/should a collector do? shoot for the TPG or if beaned, shoot for

CAC? just curious. thanks. :popcorn:

...thanks mark. so if a coin turns, for example, does the collector have a choice

In that situation, I would contact the grading company whose holder the coin resides in. They offer the grade guarantee, which might result in conserving the coin and/or lowering the grade. CAC, on the other hand, is not in a position to do those things.

In that situation, I would contact the grading company whose holder the coin resides in. They offer the grade guarantee, which might result in conserving the coin and/or lowering the grade. CAC, on the other hand, is not in a position to do those things.

I disagree. Based upon my [limited] experience, I think it would be a much smoother process to have CAC buy back a coin that has turned. Then CAC can deal with the TPG.

The one thing I would NOT do is anything that results in the TPG removing the coin from the holder with the CAC sticker unless they've already come to financial terms with me.

I disagree. Based upon my [limited] experience, I think it would be a much smoother process to have CAC buy back a coin that has turned. Then CAC can deal with the TPG.

The one thing I would NOT do is anything that results in the TPG removing the coin from the holder with the CAC sticker unless they've already come to financial terms with me.

I think that opposing view has as much, if not more merit than mine. ;)

And I definitely agree about the not "removing the coin from the holder" part.