• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1895-s question on grading (pics added)

18 posts in this topic

I found an 1895-s morgan at a flea market that I bought for $30.00. Only question is, it looks like the mint mark was filed down or just really weak. Under a 10x loop I think you can see the "s". I tested the coin for silver, so that's not the issue.

My question is, if the mint was filed down to look like a 95p, how much depreciation would that have on a coin?

This is a little confusing to me. I don't know that an 1895 p was ever minted besides a very expensive proof version. This would be easily identified from a circulated morgan. I also don't understand why someone would file off an "s"mm when these are pretty valuable themselves. It may just be post mint damage.

I think I would also weigh this coin. $30 for a coin that's worth $300 in Good condition would lead me to thinking fake.

I found an 1895-s morgan at a flea market that I bought for $30.00. Only question is, it looks like the mint mark was filed down or just really weak. Under a 10x loop you can see the "s". I tested the coin for silver, so that's not the issue.

My question is, if the mint was filed down to look like a 95p, how much depreciation would that have on a coin?

You need to post a picture.

Here are the pics. Now remember, I had a suspicion that is was a fake. That's why I paid less than silver for it. I bought at a flea market where this was the only coin he was selling. So, spare the ridicule, and just give an honest opinion about the mint mark. I already tested it at the lab I go to that has an xray machine, it meets the silver content and weight.

95a.jpg95b.jpg95c.jpg

Looks like a total fake. The Chinese are making these in huge quantities, low grade silver coins which weigh 23 to 25 grams (selling for $3 or so) and 90% silver versions of the correct weight that are $30 or so.

Well that finalizes my end conclusion that what you bought was a fake. At least you have some silver out of it. Melt'er down and make a little bar.

Definitely a fake. The denticles on this coin are very uneven with erratic spacing, and you would not find this on a proof coin. Even in a circulated state, the denticles would be evenly spaced and square.

Chris

Another piece of Chinese . :mad:

There have been a number of posts in the numismatic blogs about how counterfeits are now hitting the flea markets in a big way. Buyer beware.

I figured as much. I took a chance on the silver content, (I paid $30.00), and according to the lab that takes all my melted down silver, this coin is just under 90% silver, (89.887%) weighing in at just over 28 grams. If the coin turned out to be a worn 95-s, then kudos, but if it's fake worth that's worth silver scrap, then I got what I paid for, then I broke even. It looks like the latter in this case.

this is not magnetic. I think this was an altered morgan. The lab we have in town says that it was about 90% silver which matches up for a morgan.

this is not magnetic. I think this was an altered morgan. The lab we have in town says that it was about 90% silver which matches up for a morgan.

Not a genuine Morgan that was altered. Could easily be a 90% silver fake.