• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Cool Numismatically Related Stuff" That You Own

22 posts in this topic

Some of you know that I'm working on a book around the Classic Commemorative series of coins. I've been finding some cool "stuff" around this topic. This is an original brochure about the Alabama Commemorative Celebration:

1921Alabama_Brochure_Cover.jpg

1921Alabama_Brochure2.jpg

Post some of your "Cool Numismatically Related Stuff." :)

copyright-symbol-300x300D.jpg

Well I think I posted this before but it's been a long time. I was buying some old redbooks a few years ago and found this article in one of them. Don't know if it's true but I found intersting. By what ages the newspaper is indicating, this article was posted about 1970.

BuffaloNickelIndian.jpg

I inherited this after Mom passed, and in 2008, it was consigned to the Stack's auction at FUN. It was listed with an opening bid of $7500 which was recommended by Stack's, but it didn't sell. A couple weeks later, I received a call from Christine Karstedt of Stack's, and she informed me that one of their clients was interested if I was willing to accept $5000. So, I sold it rather than take the chance that it might somehow get damaged in storage. Originally, I was supposed to ship it to the Stack's New York office, but we discovered that it would have costed about $900 to ship it. Instead, one of the Stack's employees happened to be in the Bradenton area, so I made the 2-hour drive north, delivered it in person and received a check for it at the same time. Stack's (Christine) refused to accept any payment for the transaction.

Chris

111577.jpg.12f0ae307650953562c6d79a3cf13682.jpg

I have a few copies of the program that was issued when the Delaware commemorative half dollar was issued. Here the cover.

DelProgCover.jpg

There are also some melals shown in this program issued by the U.S. government and the Swedish government. I have all of the medals except a large silver piece that sold for $7.50 in 1936. From what I understand that piece is very rare and probably beyond my ability to obtain one.

Here is the small version of the Delware medal, whcih is listed as a so-called dollar:

DelawareSmO.jpgDelawareSmR.jpg

Here is the the Swedish medal in silver:

SwedDelMedalO.jpgSwedDelMedalR.jpg

I also have the folder in which one to five Delaware commemorative half dollars were issued.

Outside:

DelCoinFold.jpg

Inside:

DelCoinFoldInside.jpg

What time is it?

ASEPocketwatch1.jpg

The reverse got jealous of the painted obverse and has toned nicely, hence the reason it is facing out.

ASEPocketwatch.jpg

Chris is that a plaster mold??

Yes, it is mounted on 1/2" plywood and is about 33" in diameter. During the Reagan administration, my brother worked at the Smithsonian. President Reagan wanted a copy made of the original which is embedded in the floor of the Rotunda in the Capitol. The original was being worn down by tourists. My brother was the only plasterer who was experienced in cornicework (ornamental plastering), so he was given the assignment of reproducing the original and restoring the relief to the copy. This was the test mold he used to determine where the relief had to be enhanced. The finished copy now hangs in the White House, and President Reagan allowed my brother to keep the test mold. Since Mom & Dad were big fans of Reagan, both as an actor and statesman, he gave it to them. After Mom & Dad both passed, I asked my brother if he would like to have it, but he declined, so it passed along to me. Other than the original in the Capitol and the copy in the White House, it is the only other in existence. I wished that I could have kept it, but given the circumstances, it was better that it went to someone who would appreciate it as much as Mom, Dad and I did.

Chris

Here is the the Swedish medal in silver:

SwedDelMedalO.jpgSwedDelMedalR.jpg

Bill,

Wow! That is one heck of a lot of detail on the reverse.

By any chance, do you know if the artist's name is Svante Nilsson? This is the only name that appeared in my reference book, but it only covers works through 1900. Svante Nilsson also produced medals for the 1900 Exposition in Paris.

Chris

Chris is that a plaster mold??

Yes, it is mounted on 1/2" plywood and is about 33" in diameter. During the Reagan administration, my brother worked at the Smithsonian. President Reagan wanted a copy made of the original which is embedded in the floor of the Rotunda in the Capitol. The original was being worn down by tourists. My brother was the only plasterer who was experienced in cornicework (ornamental plastering), so he was given the assignment of reproducing the original and restoring the relief to the copy. This was the test mold he used to determine where the relief had to be enhanced. The finished copy now hangs in the White House, and President Reagan allowed my brother to keep the test mold. Since Mom & Dad were big fans of Reagan, both as an actor and statesman, he gave it to them. After Mom & Dad both passed, I asked my brother if he would like to have it, but he declined, so it passed along to me. Other than the original in the Capitol and the copy in the White House, it is the only other in existence. I wished that I could have kept it, but given the circumstances, it was better that it went to someone who would appreciate it as much as Mom, Dad and I did.

Chris

That's cool!!