• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886-O, a good find? Grade?

19 posts in this topic

Coin looks to be a fake to me. The discoloration on the cheek looks abnormal and the disparity between the wear from obverse to reverse seems un-natural.

my 2c

are those your pics or someone elses?

it almost looks like someone used a paint program and shaded stuff

or some special effects with pixelation

there are funny shadows around the letters and stars

there are funny shadows around the letters and stars

You will sometimes see this "shadow effect" on some toners, but usually it is between the rim and the date/stars/legend. On this coin, it appears to completely surround these elements and is even evident along Liberty's cap. As Bobby suggested, this coin has probably been dipped to death to try to remove whatever toning there may have been.

Chris

111211.jpg.df5f91d116bb1262efeef82bdf89b79b.jpg

To me it looks like someone took the time to scrub alot of the green off the coin, you can still see some of it remaining around the edges near the rim.

-Chris#2

Looks like a Chinese cast copy coin to me. It's got too much luster to have been scrubbed and there's a 'roundness' to the hair detail that makes it looks tooled or, as I said, cast.

this was my photo. It weighs the right amount, and isn't magnetic, so I am fairly sure it's not a fake. I'm not going to acid test this coin either. I think I'll send it into NGC anyways, b/c i think even if it comes back UNC details, I'd still make a good profit.

this was my photo. It weighs the right amount, and isn't magnetic, so I am fairly sure it's not a fake. I'm not going to acid test this coin either. I think I'll send it into NGC anyways, b/c i think even if it comes back UNC details, I'd still make a good profit.

If the coin comes back Unc details it is worth about $200 give or take.

For your $50 cost there was not much risk. I can not determine from the photo if it is fake but I am sure it has altered surfaces. I say 50/50 that you may have counterfeit , 100 % that you have a problem coin.

I just bought a Canon 5D Mark II, but I am having a hard time getting the entire coin into focus. Does anyone know of a good macro lens?

Looks like a Chinese cast copy coin to me. It's got too much luster to have been scrubbed and there's a 'roundness' to the hair detail that makes it looks tooled or, as I said, cast.

I thought the same thing. Is it just me or does it look like some sort of chemical was applied to the cheek? Even if the coin isn't counterfeit, I'd be shock if this didn't end up in a details holder.

I just bought a Canon 5D Mark II, but I am having a hard time getting the entire coin into focus. Does anyone know of a good macro lens?

Congrats on your 5D Mark II, What lens are you using now?

Use the 50mm straight on. You will be able to get pretty sharp images. Use the lowest F stop possible and then work up from there so you can see what you like as far as sharpness. F9 to F 11 usually best.