• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sample Coins Hello is there anyone out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 posts in this topic

Hi

I posted this thread a wile ago and got almost no replay

so I thought I would give it another try. From I am hearing there is a growing interest in sample coins so here we go again. lol

I wanted to open a new thread and find others who collect or are interested in Sample Slabs.They come from all the TPG and as fare as I know from others no longer in business. I have been collecting samples for a while now and it is funny how I got started. Completely by mistake, I will share pictures of my samples and I encourage you to do the same. My main goal here is to see just how many people collect them. And enjoy them as much as I do. And here is a great website. http://sampleslabs.com/pcgs.html

Maybe we can trade or compare coins .

So if you collect sample slab's or find them interesting PLEASE join in.

Thanks

All the Best

Alan

Yes there is a growing interest, but the number of collectors is still very small. You can't expect a large response to your threads on sample slabs.

Actually only the grading services can make them and unless they make a change in the slab there is seldom a reason to make a different one. I don't subscribe to Cameron's cataloging system where he gave different numbers to two sample slabs of the same design just because the coin in the holder was different. You might note those as variations but not different types. Usually a new sample slab only appear when the TPG makes a change in their slab type/design.

Now it is possible for show promoters or coin shops to get giveaway slabs from the services with the show name or the business name on them, but those are not sample slabs, they are advertising slabs. And I agree those are boring and of little importance.

I have a couple - I do not 'collect' them

many were made, sometimes for events/meetings

the demand is small at this time

the only dealer I knew that tried making money with them, didn't make enough

having said that, I was surprised at a recent eBay sale

$(KGrHqUOKpgE1q86wdvnBNjWpWDCyQ~~_12.JPG

sold for $167.50

eBay 'doily' sale

A long time ago, got a sample slab in the mail and I think it was for a second generation PCGS holder (not the old rattler) but it had a Liberty nickel in it. I can't remember what I ever did with that.

I never even thought of them as being worth bothering with! I have a few, similar to the 1964-D dime, that I have just thrown in a box and forgot about. I also have some large State Quarter slabs also. I was given them by PCGS or NGC and just threw them in a drawer.

I never even thought of them as being worth bothering with! I have a few, similar to the 1964-D dime, that I have just thrown in a box and forgot about. I also have some large State Quarter slabs also. I was given them by PCGS or NGC and just threw them in a drawer.

I have the felling that has happened to many a sample.

But if nothing else maybe this thread has got you thinking.

Alan

Sample Slabs I own:

IMGP1030copy.jpg

IMGP1031copy.jpg

IMGP1027copy.jpg

The DGS Sample Slab is an error. It is a P Mint, not D mint.