• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your camera setup for coin photography? (Camera, Lens, Lighting)

42 posts in this topic

Nikon D-3100 Box, Sigma 150MM lens. I use a copy stand and the most lights I'll ever use is 3, but most of the time I use 2 lights. One of the biggest mistakes made is to many lights and shooting on some kind of auto mode. If your using a SLR learn how to shoot manually you'll get much better results. Oh, and don't forget to set your white balance....Joe

Nikon D-100, Nikkor AF-D 35-70 ED Micro (or f2.8Sigma, 55mm, f2.8 Macro), tripod, SB28-DX with white plastic reflector, plus, 50 W Quartz Halogen light.

I need to build a light box for coin photograhy.

Nikon L20 cool pix with a single desk lamp for lighting using a reveal 100w bulb. All pics are takin with me holding the camera. Here are some of the results. Not bad if you ask me considering what im using!

DSCN2883-horz.jpg

DSCN2885-horz.jpg

Nikon D80, 105mm/f4 manual focus Micro-Nikkor, Kaiser RS-1 copy stand, 2 gooseneck desk lamps with CFL-daylight bulbs, a room full of stuff I can use for light reflectors, diffusers, and collimators.

My "on the cheap" setup is a Canon SD1200IS, WalMart tripod, 2 gooseneck desk lamps with CFL-daylight bulbs, a room full of stuff I can use for light reflectors, diffusers, and collimators.

Flatwoods....I use a d40 with 18-55mm lens.

I have some success...but not very happy.

Do you use any specific settings for the camera itself??

Thanks

Camera settings

Manual white balance

Aperture priority

F 11 or so

Macro lens

Copy stand

Use delayed shutter release or wireless trigger

Lighting is crucial

I am interested in hearing more about

stuff I can use for light reflectors, diffusers, and collimators

Reflectors: Sheets of paper, envelopes, business cards, CD cases, a white coffee mug

Diffusers: Sheets of paper, tissues, plastic bags, translucent deli container.

Collimators: Sheets of paper, credit cards, business cards, cardboard from a pad of paper.

Bottom line is to be creative and experiment. You'll learn the effect of introducing something unexpected into the light path, and also the importance of eliminating light you don't want. Digital film is free.

My current setup is nothing special. Just a simple aluminum tripod, a 10mp Samsung digital camera with 1gb SD card for storage, a wooden TV tray, and lots of sunlight on the lanai. Eventually, I will invest into something much better, but my current setup works nicely.

SSA50131.jpg

Hi murty. There are many folks here better qualified to offer help than me.

I will do my best though.

After you posed the question I took a couple shots.

These are the same coin with same lighting, camera position ,etc.

I swapped from total auto mode to manual.to achieve the differences here.

This is with the D-40 with the 18-55 mm lens.

Photo on left is auto everything.

Photo on right is Aperture priority mode, white balance= incandescent+/- 0

exposure compensation +0.7, F stop was at 6.3(that part was accidental)

pilgrimcomparisoncopy.jpg

flatwoods......Thank you very much!!

One of my main problems were my pictures came out like the one on the left! Now time to experiment.

Thanks Again

Hi murty. There are many folks here better qualified to offer help than me.

I will do my best though.

After you posed the question I took a couple shots.

These are the same coin with same lighting, camera position ,etc.

I swapped from total auto mode to manual.to achieve the differences here.

This is with the D-40 with the 18-55 mm lens.

Photo on left is auto everything.

Photo on right is Aperture priority mode, white balance= incandescent+/- 0

exposure compensation +0.7, F stop was at 6.3(that part was accidental)

pilgrimcomparisoncopy.jpg

It appears as though you need to set your white balance....

I've got a new set up now. Using a Nikon D3100 with a Beckler copy stand (got on the cheap from eBay). I use a Tokina 100m macro lens. Here is an example:

5c-1860o_2_small.jpg

I shot a bunch more but had some depth of view problems so I need to get better with the aperture setting. It's a new camera and I've never worked with a SLR so it will take some more work.

jom

Check to make sure the camera and the coin are parallel. You have focus issues on the obverse of the half dime where the right side is blurry and the left side is focused. Don't rely on aperture to increase your depth-of-field, as the smaller aperture requried will also decrease the overall sharpness of the picture. Set the aperture at f5.6 or f8 and manually focus the lens.

Check to make sure the camera and the coin are parallel. You have focus issues on the obverse of the half dime where the right side is blurry and the left side is focused. Don't rely on aperture to increase your depth-of-field, as the smaller aperture requried will also decrease the overall sharpness of the picture. Set the aperture at f5.6 or f8 and manually focus the lens.

Actually, I did manually focus. I can't do otherwise since the Macro lens does not have a motor and neither does the camera. The lens that comes with the camera is 55mm and does have a motor for AF...but I didn't use that.

As I recall the camera data told me the aperture was f5 so I don't know if they was good enough. However, I found it difficult to focus anyway as it was difficult to use the viewfinder with the stuff hanging off the copy stand. I'll get a better set up as I go...this was just a quickie first try.

That all being said this set up was like a DREAM to work with. What was in the past a truly aggravating experience with my old "point and shoot" (Coolpix 950) is now FUN to do. The camera and especially the copy stand make things infinitely easier. :cloud9:

jom

I use one on my 105mm. It focuses to 1:2 magnification without one, so if I want to get a frame-filling shot of a small coin I need to add the extension. If your lens already focuses to 1:1, you might not have as much use for it unless you're trying to get higher magnification, but you'll run out of working distance pretty quickly without gaining much magnification unless you have a shorter focal length lens, in which case you aren't starting with much working distance, anyway.

I use one on my 105mm. It focuses to 1:2 magnification without one, so if I want to get a frame-filling shot of a small coin I need to add the extension. If your lens already focuses to 1:1, you might not have as much use for it unless you're trying to get higher magnification, but you'll run out of working distance pretty quickly without gaining much magnification unless you have a shorter focal length lens, in which case you aren't starting with much working distance, anyway.

that's what I was thinking, as I use an 85 macro and I thought I would rather get the lens futher away, and the extension tube would make me come in closer.

thanks

OK, I've done more work on my photograph. I still have some issues with focus but I think I found the problem. I should have some improvement this weekend.

Here's a RE Bust half I picked up at the ANA in Sac:

50c-1837RE_small.jpg

Here's a obverse of my toned Morgan. The reverse I completely screwed up the focus so no photo. heh

1d-1882s_small.jpg

jom

great photos Jom

this weekend I will try to

reflect some light

instead of just using direct light

I have a new Oregon that is ready to try on.