• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your camera setup for coin photography? (Camera, Lens, Lighting)

42 posts in this topic

Check to make sure the camera and the coin are parallel.

This turned out to be the problem I think. At first I wasn't sure it makes sense. How can the camera NOT be parallel? I sits on a flat bed (cork) that is suspended on the copy stand. HOWEVER, I noticed last night (after I was done unfortunately) the camera was tiled the other direction (perpendicular to the screw that holds the camera..if that makes sense). That is why I had the focus problem...the camera tilt is exactly why one side of the coin is focused and the other isn't.

One thing I don't get is why I can't see that in the view finder. It looks focused to me. hm

great photos Jom

this weekend I will try to

reflect some light

instead of just using direct light

I have a new Oregon that is ready to try on.

Let me know how you do that. Maybe I'll give it a try.

One thing I did do was instead of using the whole detector I pulled the camera up more so I could place the lights better. I did that with the CBH above and the lighting was better. There is still plenty of pixels to use even if you don't use the whole screen. Given this I can now see why many people like 150mm lenses...

jom

Terrific discussion and thanks to all for sharing their knowledge. I am dipping my foot into the photo world, thanks to Bob ( robec) ;) I have a Canon Rebel but would like a better lens. Would a Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 Macro Zoom Lens work or am I better off getting a 105 or 150? I don't want to start another collection of cameras and paraphenalia so would appreciate any advice as to a lens choice. I currently am using a 28-105 lens and the coins are too small. Also any recommendations for after image work? Is photo shop the king or are there any more reasonably priced programs? I am using a pc not a mac. Thank you in advance:)

Dang if you don't look serious, Lance. What a setup. I like it. (worship)

Jim

edited to add: I have a Canon PowerShotSX100IS with a camera stand and two incandescent lights and an OTT(which I really do not care for).

Would a Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 Macro Zoom Lens work or am I better off getting a 105 or 150?

The macro zoom lens will work, but will not be as good as having a dedicated macro lens. Usually, "macro zoom" is put on a zoom lens that lets you focus a little closer than normal at one of the zoom settings. This might mean you can get 4 feet away instead of 6 at the 210mm end. While a 4 foot working distance will let you sit comfortably under the camera while positioning lights, it's rather impractical, since you either have to have a very long copy stand or a fully-extended tripod. You also run into problems with stability of the camera at this range. I use a 105mm Micro-Nikkor and get good results. At times I'd like a 150mm, so if I were choosing between the two and the costs were similar, I'd choose the longer lens. I wouldn't recommend going with a 60mm lens just to save money. You'll lose too much working distance.

Also any recommendations for after image work? Is photo shop the king or are there any more reasonably priced programs?

Photoshop is the professional gold standard, so it would seem, but is overkill for basic stuff. If you want to stay in the Photoshop family, you can get Photoshop Elements, which lets you do the most common image operations, including everything you'll need for coins. If you've never used Photoshop and don't have to worry about unlearning one program to learn another, you can get GIMP, which is a Photoshop substitute that is free from here.

Dang if you don't look serious, Lance. What a setup. I like it. (worship)

Jim

lol. It's all part of my compulsive personality.

I started with a 6" desk tripod and a compact camera in the macro mode. One gooseneck incandescent bulb. I'd lean the coin/slab on a deskclock covered with a white hand towel. Eyeball for squareness.

And then I got fussy. One thing led to another.

Truth is, it's less about the equipment than it is about effort, patience, and a critical eye.

Lance.

Would a Canon EF 70-210mm f/4 Macro Zoom Lens work or am I better off getting a 105 or 150?

The macro zoom lens will work, but will not be as good as having a dedicated macro lens. Usually, "macro zoom" is put on a zoom lens that lets you focus a little closer than normal at one of the zoom settings. This might mean you can get 4 feet away instead of 6 at the 210mm end. While a 4 foot working distance will let you sit comfortably under the camera while positioning lights, it's rather impractical, since you either have to have a very long copy stand or a fully-extended tripod. You also run into problems with stability of the camera at this range. I use a 105mm Micro-Nikkor and get good results. At times I'd like a 150mm, so if I were choosing between the two and the costs were similar, I'd choose the longer lens. I wouldn't recommend going with a 60mm lens just to save money. You'll lose too much working distance.

Also any recommendations for after image work? Is photo shop the king or are there any more reasonably priced programs?

Photoshop is the professional gold standard, so it would seem, but is overkill for basic stuff. If you want to stay in the Photoshop family, you can get Photoshop Elements, which lets you do the most common image operations, including everything you'll need for coins. If you've never used Photoshop and don't have to worry about unlearning one program to learn another, you can get GIMP, which is a Photoshop substitute that is free from here.

John, Thank you for your reply. (worship) I came here this morning to ask another question and your answer was so thorough that I don't even have to post it. :cool: Now I can spend the rest of the morning looking for a suitable lens. However, I do have a couple of other questions. Is there one camera store that has the best prices on lenses? Do all lenses cost more than the camera body? I have sticker shock after checking prices online. :o