• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1875-CC Trade Dollar. Is it real? Grade?

36 posts in this topic

Gray Sheet EF bid is $425.00. Given the fact that is sold for a 17% discount below EF bid tells something about this item. Best to stay away and go for a piece that does not have issues.

And no, I don't care for the coin, and I’m suspicious that it is not genuine.

I'm with ya on that also Bill!

Btw, I'm surprised I haven't seen Mark Feld get in on any of this!

smaller country auctions frequently sell below greysheet - which adds to the appeal of these type of auctions if they have anything of value

the price quoted may not include the total price to the buyer - not sure about this auction and it probably does not matter

but internet buyer may have additional buyers premium, sales tax, shipping and handling, and extra fee for credit card -

an advantage to onsite bidders who besides being able to see items, have the priveledge of split bids, ease in placing bids, and cash and carry

There are allot of counterfeit coins out there but I think Trade Dollars have more counterfeit than original coins on the market. I remember a few years ago if it had chop marks you could be halfway confident it was real but even that isn't true nowadays because they are counterfeiting the chops. These things have been counterfeited since they were in circulation in China I believe and some are easy to spot but some of the newer ones are real hard to see any tell tell signs of originality because they are struck with dies instead of crude cast copies. I looked at allot of Trade Dollars for over a year (graded and raw) when I was looking for just a common date for my Dansco 7070 album and even then I asked for people that had more knowledge than I have to get their opinions just because there are so many counterfeits out there of this series