• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1894-S Morgan. Some cool toning (NGC RESULTS)

29 posts in this topic

Hey Guys-

I have yet another one for ya! In the picture, the toning looks brown, but in actuality, it's more of a rosy-purple. I know it's hard to see, but there is a scar like mark on her cheek. It doesn't look like a ding, almost like a crack or a split. also, on the reverse, there is a thin string running across the top. Are those errors? I will take closer pics tonight b4 bed. I got this one from a new source. My last one has seemed to take advantage of a newbie collector as my previous posts end up being cleaned or whizzed.

Let me know what you think on a grade! or even a premium if they are errors:

2038.jpg

2038-2.jpg

Sent this coin express to NGC after I showed to a dealer in town who began to flip out and trying to buy it. The surfaces are more reflective than the picture shows. I selected the imaging option on the NGC invoice, so as soon as they email me a picture, I'll show it to you guys. I have a good feelin' about this coin.

You shrunk the pics, this was an old post. I learned my lesson. Care to give a grade? The color is a little faded in the pic though. Liberty has a really strong strike, (I know it's hard to see, The "L" in Liberty looks as if it were hit twice).

I'm going to say it has a lot of chatter and would guess the grade at about MS60-MS62. Nice coin for the date.

Let us know what it comes back as, I love Morgans.

Deryk

very nice, but I suspect it will grade UNC details

the side of the face is very worrisome

is it just album slide marks or actually a whizzing to cover-up

the distracting 2 verticle lines/nicks

e1 - the marks on the face I am interpreting to be roll marks from a weakly struck coin. They are more common on O mint coins, but I've seen them on many different coins. I would interpret those images to be MS-63. I don't think it will go PL, just doesn't look reflective enough.

Those are roller marks on her jaw. Strike failed to press them out. Although roller marks indicate a weaker strike, I have several CC's which have roller marks but graded MS65. Just a bit on the rough side by the photo's. It may be just the reflectivity but thinking about a 63.

Chet

It will get a details grade for too much chatter, contaminant right above the ear and a slam in the breast area.

Nice coin though, I would own it if I collected RAW.

I think this coin will get into an MS 63 – 64 holder. There is nothing really that troublesome about the color of the coin that would put it into a details grade holder. It looks like a possible quick proper dip and re tone. I agree with Jason – from the photo it does not appear to have enough reflectivity to be PL. I agree with others comments on the roller marks. Unlike the other raw coins you have posted I like this one.

I'm learning with the help of you guys! I have a new one to post soon. I can't wait until they give me a result. i sent it in express, and it says "Scheduled for grading" on the order tracking online.

I hate to be the lone dissenter, and I'll probably be wrong in this instance, but that doesn't look like a roller mark to me. It looks like a patch of hairlines from a light cleaning. I'm thinking NGC will return this in an uncirculated details holder. I hope that I'm wrong.

I hate to be the lone dissenter, and I'll probably be wrong in this instance, but that doesn't look like a roller mark to me. It looks like a patch of hairlines from a light cleaning. I'm thinking NGC will return this in an uncirculated details holder. I hope that I'm wrong.

Those are not hairlines from a cleaning. Roller marks makes sense to me. The only other thing I could think of would be some other type of damage not related to a cleaning.

There is a scar like crack on the cheek almost directly in the center of those "hairlines." My theory is that the roller marks were caused b/c the scar interrupted the process somehow?

Those are not hairlines from a cleaning. Roller marks makes sense to me. The only other thing I could think of would be some other type of damage not related to a cleaning.

Even if those striations are roller marks, I have seen coins in details holders for that alone. Again, I hope that my prediction is wrong!

Strike seems to strong for those to be roller marks. I usually see those on more weakly struck coins, although I won't rule it out. The color bugs me a little. Looks like a possible dip-n-turn.

Wow! I just realized that I never did "guess", but in retrospect, I'd have guessed MS-63. However, my guess would have been skewed by the images, which don't necessarily provide the most complimentary impression of the coin. I can easily see the coin at NGC's MS-64.

Wow! I would CERTAINLY NEVER crack it out of that holder! I guessed a conservative 62, since I don't like that patch on the chin or abrasion across eagle's chest. I DO like the Strike as it is VERY good, though, and a natural looking coin. That's a darn good date, too!

You did good! :golfclap: I'm, sincerely, very happy for you. I love hearing success stories such as these!

What's next, CAC? I would, you've got nothing to lose.

what's CAC?

CAC

Certified Acceptance Corporation (CAC). Its another grading service that will sticker your slab for $10 with a little grean oval hologram (green bean). That supposedly tells people that it is VERY Solid for the grade. It's an easy way to identify select quality coins within any particular grade.

Those who guessed MS64 You were right! Images came back from NGC today!

2555450_001o.jpg2555450_001r.jpg

They take a heck of lot better pics than I do!

Congratulations. With that said, your original photographs were misleading; the newer photos resolve a lot of the question posed by forum members.