• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A lot of history attached to this piece....

13 posts in this topic

I picked this Metal up a few years back as I have always wanted a nice example of this historical work of art. This is the first piece of work by Adolph A. Weinman who has also done some other beauties such as the Walking Liberty Half Dollar and the Mercury dime. I bought this Metal still in the original box with the original paper work just as it was sold in 1904 at the St. louis exposition. This piece also has some of the heaviest hitters in Numismatic history assosiated with it such as J.Q.A. Ward, Danial C. French and Augsutus St. Gaudens who were on the approvial committee. I think it's one of the most beautiful designs.....Joe

1904StLouis007.jpg

1904StLouis001.jpg

BlOvIdQWkKGrHqIH-EEs9-KeuqtBLzBDQ85.jpg

Wow, Joe! That sure is beautiful. What lovely artwork.

Was there a type 2 with chain mail over the young maiden's chest?

Lance.

That is a lovely piece Joe! Congratulations on it! :applause: It sure would be fun to hold one of those Medals in your hand.

About 5 - 10 years ago a traveling exhibition from the Smithsonian stopped at a local museum (Stanford U.) for X months. The exhibition was artwork from ~ 1890 - 1910. It had a bunch of lovely paintings, but one thing that totally surprised me and impressed me was a female nude statue done by Weinman. Obviously I was quite familiar with his Merc and Walker designs, and intellectually knew he was a sculptor, but it was a LOT of fun to actually see a statue done by him. I have to say, it was a Really Attractive piece.

A certain esteemed board member sent me one for free a couple of years ago, and I've enjoyed owning it ever since! Believe it or not, I saw one in it's original box (very tattered) at the Springfield, IL show last weekend.

I guess I should say, or mention that Danial French was a sculpture and was best known for the George Washington statue at the Federal Hall, and Ward was also a sculptor and was probably best known for the statue of John Harvard at Harvard University. And were best qualified for the job on this committee at this point and time.

Cool medal, and nice to have the explanation of the design along with it. Drawing a blank on the "NJ" (or "JN") monogram. I wonder what if the mint would be capable of producing this today, and if so at what cost.

Every time that I see that medal, I wish that I had bought the one that was offered to me years ago by a local coin dealer in California. Beautiful medal.