• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin tracking software

17 posts in this topic

I have been working on one that computes the silver value, face value, and numismatic value...keep getting distracted by life events but I can send you a copy if want. It's in excel 2007

I can tell you one NOT to get. CoinManage. Although it was a good program at one time, the author has almost let it die. No support and the updates to pricing are few and far between.

MM

I still have proof sets and other coins which are not certified. These are mostly modern coins, some third world slabs (ANACS) and proofs sets. I use "Coin Elite v. 15.60" to collate all of the coins that I own. The certified coins that I have are all listed in some registry or another on the NGC site. The Collection Manager on this site works very well to keep track of all coins that are certified by NGC and PCGS.

Coin Elite works adequately for everything else but it is quirky and not user friendly for editing and printing only what you want to keep track of. The coin values section in Coin Elite are not current, accurate, or close enough to reality to take seriously. Plus, the software being based on MS Access is not user friendly for organizing data the way that I would want it.

I have corresponded with Jim Bucki at the Numismatist and he's going to be doing an article on software here soon. Check it out.

He also told me of several applications he has tapped for the article: Collector's Assistant by Carlisle, Coin Elite and Exact Change. I'm leaning toward trying out the Carlisle program...the other two don't seem very good, IMO.

If the Carlisle program doesn't work I'll probably stick with the crummy MS Access program I wrote or switch to Excel.

jom

• Administrator
I tried to use it earlier today and It wouldn't let me add Raw coins so I got mad...lol I'll give it another shot.

Hi Joe,

You can definitely add raw coins to the system. What was the problem you were having?

The basic steps are:

1. Click My Collection

2. Click Add Coin

3. Choose your status (usually owned)

4. Choose "Raw" in the graded by field

5. Choose your coin type

6. Start typing a description of your coin. A good place to start is something from the design name and the year, e.g. "Morgan 1878". You can keep adding terms until you see the coin you are entering.

If you can't find a match for your coin you can click on the first line in the drop down and that will allow you to add the coin from scratch.

Unless your collection is very much by-the-book, you'll eventually find fault in anything you buy. Several years ago, I tried trial versions of many different programs. The best one lasted 10 minutes before I didn't like it. Some didn't make it past the opening screen. I use an Access database now. You're limited only by what Access can do, so it's far more extensible than any other program you can get. The problem, of course, is that you have to program it yourself. Excel is also a viable alternative that is much easier to use, but you won't have the querying and reporting that Access has. Some of the commercial coin inventory options can get rather expensive if you want to use their valuations.