• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1890 Morgan Dollar

15 posts in this topic

Philadelphia mints are usually sharply struck so I am going with an MS60,

However, I am very concerned about the spotting and scratches on the coin, if it grades at all.

Good Luck

That softness over the ear has no impact on the grade, because it is well within norms for the Morgan dollar type. However, the surfaces are afflicted with something bad, and that keeps the net grade down to MS-60 at best.

Put it in a clean 2x2 and retake the pictures in natural light and I bet it looks like a different coin.

As it looks, I'll just go with UNC, but their are even pieces of foreign matter on that 2x2 and I bet some of those "spots" the others are seeing are just on the plastic.

Assuming no surface issues but they do seem probable. I'll agree and say 62 or even as high as 63 but I'm afraid it would be a 'DETAILS' coin. Those spots on the lower right obv. look like some chemical surface damage.

My first impression was a low range of 63. Seeing those spots at the hair-v makes me wonder if she will grade. 50/50 MS62 or details

Chet

I beg to differ on the comment that the area above the ear doesn't have an effect on the grade

That softness over the ear has no impact on the grade, because it is well within norms for the Morgan dollar type. However, the surfaces are afflicted with something bad, and that keeps the net grade down to MS-60 at best.

If it's worn, and less detailed, then of course it has an effect on the grade. As a matter of fact, The Redbook grading standard lists that area specifically when determining the grade of a morgan, along with the botton curl.

With that being said, surface spot tend to not have as big of an impact, unless it has eroded or done damage to the coin. Just surf ebay for NGC graded coins, and you'll see plenty of high-grade coins with chunky patina on them. However, I doubt the spots on the coin in this thread fall under that category, actually probably not even an issue b/c they look like they're on the plastic.

The hair below the crown seems a little worn, along with above the ear, and a long the bottom curl. There is also a pair of dings on the chin. The fields look pretty clear, on both the obv & rev. The feathers appear a little weak on the reverse chest of the eagle.

I would say a MS62 at best, but NGC is more frugal than I am, so I would give the odds to a MS61.

Weak strike for 1890-P. MS61-62. Focal area hits bring grade down 1 point. MS61 at best.

A quick dip may help with the Obverse spotting, but would not add to the net grade.

$ilverHawk

I beg to differ on the comment that the area above the ear doesn't have an effect on the grade

If it's worn, and less detailed, then of course it has an effect on the grade. As a matter of fact, The Redbook grading standard lists that area specifically when determining the grade of a morgan, along with the botton curl.

Good discussion! I would agree that the softness of strike would have impact on grade, IF we were discussing a coin with really high grade potential. For example, an MS-68 might be netted down to MS-67 due to a soft strike. In other words, a bad strike is worth negative-one point.

But at MS-63 and below, "strike" has much less impact on grade. It might account for only 1/4 of a point in overall consideration.

...all in my opinion, of course :) !