• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this one of the old coin cabinets?

24 posts in this topic

Sometimes I take the long way to get my lunch just so I can walk by J.J. Teaparty and see what they have in their window. Today they had this coin cabinet. I have read references to coin cabinets in a few of the books that I read. Is this what they looked like? Is this an authentic older coin cabinet? I had never seen one. It looks pretty neat. I’m not sure I would want to store anything terribly high-end in it but nevertheless it’s pretty cool.

coincabinet.jpg

I don't know much about the cabinets themselves but I do know a litle about wood. The shelves look like particle board from the pics. Can't be real sure. Wouldn't be too old if it is tho',

You know the Mexican textile pattern is just throwing off the whole picture...

Seems like they should have used a crushed red or green velvet...

But yes thats a coin cabinet and I agree with Bss - it doesnt appear to be that old, perhaps made within the last 50 yrs.

that is a Mahogany cabinet

the slide out storage holders are natural solid mahogany with no finish on them which is not good for the wood or the coins

the cabinet carcass itself does have a finish on it and appears to be solid

the actual top piece is also solid as well as the bottom piece

cant tell with the door or the sides of the cabinet

the hardware is brass in color but it does not appear to be solid brass

I would venture to guess that this piece was made in the nineties

based on the hinges themselves

oh ya and I am guessing that there is 14 coin slots per drawer x either 6 or 7 drawers.... curios as to how the felt was installed... if it is a glue down method I would also be leary of that as well

The closer I look at those shelves, they do not look like solid wood to me. When I zoom in, it looks like hard compressed wood to me especially where the holes were made for the coins. I may be wrong. (shrug)

If you want to see some nice (some very nice) coin cabinets, take a look at coin catalogs from European auctions. I'm not sure how good these are for storage, but they are definitely very nice looking pieces of furniture. I have seen them occasionally in auctions such as Baldwin's.

The "cabinet" in the top photo was used to house 1973-76 Canadian Olympic silver coins. There were 14 $5 coins that were 38 mm in diameter and 14 $10 coins that were 45 mm.

I have a coin cabinet I need to post up this weekend....right now I am sitting on the only chair in the house surrounded by boxes...I hate moving, and yet I do it so oftern.