• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBH clashing

8 posts in this topic

The CBH is one of my favorite series for lots of reasons. Among them, the myriad and beauty of toning effects, the many die marriages, the great effort that went into their minting with numerous devices added by hand and resulting variety and "mistakes", their history and importance to banking, their size and weight, and their simple but eye-pleasing design.

One of the coolest things about CBH's is the often seen clashmarks from colliding dies. It's fun to create an image of the clashed die in your mind and spot the details on the coin.

I created the below images from an 1815 of mine, and sometimes refer to them when looking at clash marks.

I thought someone else might enjoy them. Below is an 1814 with some clash marks as an example. Can you spot the clashing and die crack? Don't forget about possible die rotation.

In retrospect I probably should have used a "clean" CBH for the composite photos as this 1815 was a little clashed herself. Bottom photos. Interesting fabric-like background to eagle's shield.

Have you got some die-clashed CBH's to share? Let's see them!

Lance.

3170b589.jpg2182696a.jpg

1700ff42.jpg50f800c0.jpg

1815-2PCGSXF45obv-1.jpg1815-2PCGSXF45rev-1.jpg

1814 is a good date for clashing, here is mine, it's hard to see in the photos, but there is a double liberty next to the shield.

977781.jpg

Here's a little better photo of mine:

Nice! But the larger picture is only one side. :(

You're right...1814 seems to be a good year for clashing. Here's another.

Lance.

940b9087.jpge155c500.jpg