• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Righting a Numismatic Wrong and Paying off a Bet

33 posts in this topic

Most of us here are familiar with this coin:

CRACK4.jpg

I recently entered into an interesting numismatic bet with a collector/dealer friend of mine. The details of that bet, upon hindsight are a bit embarrassing as my position ended up being the loosing one.

The wager? He owned a pretty silver eagle and was willing to wager it and what he wanted in return was for me to crack out the above coin. That's kind of a tough go for me as I was offered a little over two years ago 5K for this Eagle. I didn't sell it as I along with everyone (and even the collector wishing to purchase it) knew this was a PCGS error and really should never have been graded. (Remember too it was slabbed back in the days PCGS didn't do genuine grading although that really shouldn't weigh into the coin's encapsulation anyway.)

So here I am this morning, hammer in hand...

Banging and crushing the living daylights out of the slab!

CRACK3.jpg

CRACK5.jpg

The end result? A wildly toned American Silver Eagle now worth melt.

CRACK2.jpg

CRACK1.jpg

OK, you can't leave us like that. What was the bet about?

Ah, shoot. Alright... just don't laugh (too loudly).

My position was the christmas tree green color found on vividly toned Morgan dollars can't be AT'ed. I also put myself out there stating textile can't be faked.

He proved me wrong with convincing photos (before and after). I lost fair and square.

Braddick, I find your bet far more interesting, and would love to see details. I've always believed like you that textile toning could not be convincingly faked. If the scam artists are good enough to fake textile, that's a scary thought.

I remember this coin and I still have a saved image of it in the old PCI holder with the "Questionable Toning" designation by PCI.

Sorry to hear that Braddick.......On the flip side I was greeted by the monster 1964 Kennedy you sold me this morning!!!! WOW!!!That freaking thing is smoking hot! I literally had to sit down!

Sorry to hear that Braddick.......On the flip side I was greeted by the monster 1964 Kennedy you sold me this morning!!!! WOW!!!That freaking thing is smoking hot! I literally had to sit down!

DF, you should know better than that by now. You can't throw a statement like that out here and not show us pictures!!! Shame on you ;)

DF, you should know better than that by now. You can't throw a statement like that out here and not show us pictures!!! Shame on you ;)

I kind of regret letting that one go. But am grateful it went to an enthusiast rather than another dealer.

incrediblecoins3.jpg

I didn't sell it as I along with everyone (and even the collector wishing to purchase it) knew this was a PCGS error and really should never have been graded. (Remember too it was slabbed back in the days PCGS didn't do genuine grading although that really shouldn't weigh into the coin's encapsulation anyway.)

Careful, Pat, that you don't get yourself bammed ATS.

I remember this coin and I still have a saved image of it in the old PCI holder with the "Questionable Toning" designation by PCI.

I have the same photo.

scam3.jpg

Wow... how many times can you say that PCI got it right and PCGS got in wrong...

Sorry but I wouldnt have never have cracked that coin no matter the bet.

But thanks for posting the side-by-side pic... that one is going into my personal folder as well.

OK, you can't leave us like that. What was the bet about?

Ah, shoot. Alright... just don't laugh (too loudly).

My position was the christmas tree green color found on vividly toned Morgan dollars can't be AT'ed. I also put myself out there stating textile can't be faked.

He proved me wrong with convincing photos (before and after). I lost fair and square.

So do the photos show both the green color and the textile pattern? Also, did you know your friend was a coin doctor or did he out himself to you simply to win the bet?

I have the same photo.

scam3.jpg

Wow, went to save the image myself.....file name is 'scam3'....

edited to add...I agree with what others have said.....I wouldn't have cracked that one out

Glad to see that out of TPG plastic for whatever reason. I applaud you for not taking advantage of the situation.

Has PCGS ever offered to buy that back? OH, wait, I am sure they saw that as a mechanical error BS and would not offer any money. What a disgrace.

I checked the certs above and below that colorful coin

10 on each side were MS69 1998 Eagles, so probably a bulk submission

I wonder what the graders thought when they, hmmmm

I wonder what the person running the sonic sealer thought when, hmmmm

Glad to see that out of TPG plastic for whatever reason. I applaud you for not taking advantage of the situation.

Has PCGS ever offered to buy that back? OH, wait, I am sure they saw that as a mechanical error BS and would not offer any money. What a disgrace.

I don't think PCGS would call that a mechanical error and I do believe they would have honored their guarantee. Problem is the buy-back offer would have been in line with what a generic one would be worth and nowhere close to what it might fetch on the open market (putting aside the lunacy of paying such a price for an obviously AT'd coin).

Lance.

^^It'll remain exactly as is in its busted out plastic slab with NO plans to submit to any Service as it would end up in a Genuine type slab and that is as worthless as it is raw.