• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are all of the stars going?

24 posts in this topic

No, not the NGC star for exceptional eye appeal, the star user and thread ratings on this board. Is it just me or does it seem like they have disappeared from threads and users at an incredible rate in the last 24 hours..... maybe there is a logical explanation?

John

I'm not quite sure John. I'm actually not quite sure if they start to disappear after prolonged inactivity, or if there is a scrooge among us who is taking them away from us? wink.gif

On another note, I asked on the Ask NGC forum who from NGC was going to be at the FUN show and your name was NOT on the list of attendees! I think I'll take a few stars away from you now... laugh.gif

Andy cool.gif

I am usually the stay at home Finalizer during shows, but not always. The last show I attended and graded at was in St Louis a couple of months back. I've probably averaged 3 or 4 shows per year, usually the mid sized conventions.

John

Darn! I was looking forward to meeting you, John!

BTW - at one point I looked at the Set Registry today and everything was blank! I asked EVP about it and he said it was fine - when I went back, all was well. But it certainly was disconcerting!

No, not the NGC star for exceptional eye appeal

Let's hope not or I'll have to start another thread on it. wink.gif

The problem with the star rating for users is that you don't see it change often. For example, I've had 2 stars for quite some time, yet the number of votes I've received has gone up a lot. I don't know if I'm getting low or high votes because my rating never changes. On the PCGS site, you have a number and you can see it change. It's possible that you just noticed a few people were "down rated", yet our opinion of them was slipping for quite some time.

It would also be nice if we could re-rate some of the users after a certain period of time. I rated some people early on and then I realized they must have borrowed someone else's thought, since they are . I'd like to take back my 5 rating and give them the 1 that they deserve.

BTW, everyone here feel free to give me a 5 Star rating and then go over to the PCGS site and give me a 10 rating. Thank you! wink.gif

Maybe Arch could look into the stars to see if there is any extraordinary rating activity in the last day or two.

TDN- maybe next time then..... I'll inquire about the registry issue.

Greg- I agree with your points, and will ask the Arch to look at it. I already rated you a 5, but in keeping with your suggestion would like to re-rate you a 2 smile.gif

John

• Administrator

I can't really tell what the dates are on ratings. And I guess, after thinking about it, it doesn't really seem right to provide too much info about who has what in their profiles. The stars were given with an understanding that other people can't see what they are, so to change that is a bad idea.

I didn't see anything immensely unusual. Although I did see one new guy on the "top ten people who bother to rate other people" list.

Interestingly, I'll say this - all of our top raters are typically people who rate far more people with 1's than with anything else. But no one that I've seen is completely just a scrooge giving ONLY ones. Even our highest count and percetages of 1-raters still have many people rated higher. (shrug)

Arch

• Administrator

There are two times when you might see "missing data" on the registry:

1) Every 15 minutes the top 3 lists get updated. If you catch a top 3 list at just the right time, exactly when it's being updated, you may see blank entries. This is an extremely brief phenomenon, and refreshing the page a minute later usually makes it go away.

2) On Mondays we import a new set of coin definitions from the NGC internal database. If you managed to catch it during the import (which happens over night) you might see blank entries. If, for any reason, that import fails, this can cause blank entries until such time as we can go in an correct whatever problem occurred - although a failure like that is extremely infrequent.

Arch

When I started the complaint's post I was at 3 star's , then It went to two , then back to three , then back to two .

So I guess If people disagree with your post the first thing they do is give you a 1 rating .

Why do you care so much about stars? They really don't mean anything. Do you suppose people tell their friends, "hey you know I'm a five-star poster over at Collector's Society!"

Stars are meaningless (unless they're on a NGC slab) so stop fretting about it. Heck, you can have my two so now you are up to four. Rate me a five and maybe I'll go up to three and then you can have that one too.

I'm sure no one loses sleep over them If they lose one , but I believe they are supposed to be looked at as a way of judging someone's judgment or that their post are interesting to other's or something like that .

But I'm just speculating about them .

Hey Gunsmoke , Is It me or do you seem a little hostile over those little star's ???

It's you.

"Ibelieve they are supposed to be looked at as a way of judging someone's judgment or that their post are interesting to other's or something like that .

But I'm just speculating about them . "

Nah, maybe in an ideal forum, but not here so don't feel as if others are judging you by your stars. It's the content of your post......yeah, that is it....

I dream of a day when a poster will be judged, not by the number of their stars, but by the content of their post!

Interestingly, I'll say this - all of our top raters are typically people who rate far more people with 1's than with anything else. But no one that I've seen is completely just a scrooge giving ONLY ones. Even our highest count and percetages of 1-raters still have many people rated higher. (shrug)

Something that might explain this: It is possible that some of the coin people went over to the comic forums and rated them 1, while the comic people went to the coin forum and rated us 1. I know that whenever I make fun of the comic people, it seems to correspond with increases in my vote count. It's very possible a bunch of people just rated everyone 1 that they saw in a forum. The 5s given were to members we actually liked.

And I now know that Arch can see what rating we gave him. shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

When I started the complaint's post I was at 3 star's , then It went to two , then back to three , then back to two .

So I guess If people disagree with your post the first thing they do is give you a 1 rating .

You show as having 18 votes. It's very possible that you had so few votes early that one rating swayed your stars one way or the other. You also might have been very close to the threshold in stars before a rating. Maybe a 3.1 rating and then a new 2 rating knocks you down to 2 stars, and then a new 3 rating brings you back up to 3 stars. It might not be a case of people giving you 1 or 5 stars.