• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Gals from 1838 & 1839 Hanging Out

24 posts in this topic

There are few eras of US numismatics that intrigue me more than the 1836-1841 timeframe. The US Mint was transitioning from older technology to newer technology, coinage series were undergoing a general overhaul, the first of the branch mints was brought online and the subsequent and related issue of mintmark placement had to be addressed. The myriad subtypes and simply neat coins produced in this short period are remarkable and I adore each of them quite a bit. Fortunately, one can purchase coinage from this era relatively easily and high grade examples can be found within the budget of a large number of collectors for certain issues. Additionally, my favorite US series, the Reeded Edge half dollars, were produced during this time. However, the vast majority of these neither fish nor fowl half dollars have been worn to a nub, lost to history or manipulated in an unacceptable manner. The few remaining pieces that have escaped previous abuse have low published price guide values, yet I have found it takes a fair bit of patience, discipline and the willingness to expand the budget to acquire these wonderful gems.

Presented below are four very nice, attractive and original coins from this era. The coins are one half-dime and three half dollars and the images are pretty accurate. I would love to find more coins from this era with the qualities that the present coins possess and would eagerly incorporate them into either my own collection or even into my clients’ collections. Please share your examples of cool coins from this date range.

TBR2E1839P65.jpg

TBR2I1838P55.jpg

TBR2I1838P63.jpg

TBR2I1839OP45.jpg

Great (and enviable) pieces, TomB. But tell me....with over 10,000 posts, how can you be a total newbie? ;)

With coins like those, you are no newbie!!!

I guess they give out titles based upon knowledge and not posting. hm:)

I also think that coins from this era are really special. Here are a couple of sisters to join the party

1839-f1.jpg

1839-b1.jpg

1839-f.jpg

1839-b.jpg

Okay, Now these here are just beautiful!! I will one day put a set of these classic head Libs together, but these Buffalo Nickels just keep getting in the way. I guess I can enjoy yours till I get started. I give you my address so you can send them off, the sooner you send them, the sooner I can enjoy them. I'll PM my address :D

They are just lovely!!!! Way to go....Joe

There are few eras of US numismatics that intrigue me more than the 1836-1841 timeframe. The US Mint was transitioning from older technology to newer technology, coinage series were undergoing a general overhaul, the first of the branch mints was brought online and the subsequent and related issue of mintmark placement had to be addressed. The myriad subtypes and simply neat coins produced in this short period are remarkable and I adore each of them quite a bit. Fortunately, one can purchase coinage from this era relatively easily and high grade examples can be found within the budget of a large number of collectors for certain issues.

They kept changing little things on the coins until 1842. For example, here are the small letters and large letters types of the Half Eagles.

1842-5-sl-f.jpg1842-5-sl-b.jpg

1842-5-ll-f.jpg1842-5-ll-b.jpg

This is an interesting question and I would interpret it as "how do you get the most bang for the buck now and in the future".

I would suggest that coins having various qualities or attributes are better to look for than coins that fit within a certain grade or price range. Historically, I have advised my own clients as well as the folks on the boards to look for and attempt to acquire coinage with apparently original surfaces that has good eye appeal and is also very solid for the designated grade. Better yet, one might want to find a coin with these qualities that is undergraded. Of course, any discussion of aesthetics requires an open mindedness that can accept that what looks nice to a particular educated individual might not look nice to another educated individual.

For example, look at the response by physics-fan3.14 and you will see that he is evidently not fond of one of the four coins that I shared in the first post. I'm not clear if he means that the first coin posted or the first half dollar posted is one that he is not fond of, but there is at least one piece that looks to fall short of his requirements for eye appeal. I think all four coins have wonderful eye appeal, are original skinned and are at least very solid for the grade assigned. Therefore, I am quite happy with these four coins. When and if the time comes that I offer them on my site, I am also certain that they would sell immediately and at very strong prices. Of course, not everyone will like every coin.

This may not have been the answer you anticipated or even wanted, but the combination of originality, eye appeal and position within assigne grade is what I would attempt to buy.

Tom, I was referring to the first half dollar. The half dime looks quite lovely! I appreciate that the first half dollar is original and high quality for the grade, its just not a look I like. But that's what makes eye appeal so subjective, right? For every group of coins that I think are amazing, there will be a few that you don't like - and vice versa. Coins like these are like works of art - while you might be particurly fond of Picasso, I much prefer Renoir. They both are high quality and aesthetically appealing, but very different. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you completely and think there is nothing wrong with that at all. Of the four coins that I posted, I do believe that the first 1838 is the one that might be embraced by more folks the least. I adore the coin, but can understand how it isn't for everyone.