• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 O GSA. Care to Grade Her?

22 posts in this topic

We have seen several 81-O's so I thought would continue the trend. She has been graded and will post in several days. You will find this GSA a tough coin in high grades.

Have not vammed her yet but see she has a spike inside the upper loop of the 8. That is common. She also has a larger spike inside the O mint mark. That is a mystery. Have a great weekend.

Chet

110179.jpg.45819812339484548f84e822167454e4.jpg

110180.jpg.c282dfec24c40fc1c57b74a3ff348771.jpg

There are four listings with the spike in the "8", but I don't see one with the spike in the mintmark. Maybe John will know.

Chris

I Agree MS64. Very Nice.

Just checked Vamworld, and did see a couple had what they describe as a "Small raised die chip in middle of II O mint mark opening". Yours is completely different than that.

You may have found a new variety.

I Agree MS64. Very Nice.

Just checked Vamworld, and did see a couple had what they describe as a "Small raised die chip in middle of II O mint mark opening". Yours is completely different than that.

You may have found a new variety.

Without going back to VW and rechecking, I believe the chips you mention are the remnants of the underlying O/O RPM.

Chris

She graded MS64. Her strike and luster are strong, especially for an O. In hand, the cheek grazes are hardly seen. The magnification and light really highlighted the marks seen. As for the mint mark spike, I can not find anything which has both a spike in the date and MM. It may be a re-punch but that O is pretty clean (except for the spike).

As for population, the highest 81-O in a GSA is MS65 with a total of 4. As for the 64's, a total of 20. Finding these in gem grade is quite elusive! Thanks for your comments and grades. I noted another Kansan made the first correct call. Way to go Deryk. How is Ft Riley these days? Many goodtimes at KSU and Riley County! That was however in the mid 70's. Yikes!

Chet

Chet thanks for the shout out! :grin:

Fort Riley and Manhattan are doing great, had about 4" of snow yesterday out of the blue. It's March Madness so everyone here is focused on BB. I will be moving this summer so off to a new area and new adventures. Next stop is SC.

Nice coin and grade. Morgans are about all I can say I have become proficient in hm

The only VAM that looks like it could fit is the VAM-1A as your mint mark is dead on straight so none of the other VAMs that have the spiked 8 would fit. Maybe yours is a new discovery. I have just recently begun looking at VAMs as there is just way too many.

The only VAM that looks like it could fit is the VAM-1A as your mint mark is dead on straight so none of the other VAMs that have the spiked 8 would fit. Maybe yours is a new discovery. I have just recently begun looking at VAMs as there is just way too many.

A small die chip such as this probably would not warrant a new VAM. Like die cracks, they are pretty common, and would be more useful in determining die state.

Chris

A small die chip such as this probably would not warrant a new VAM. Like die cracks, they are pretty common, and would be more useful in determining die state.

Chris

Chris I've been into vams not long, maybe the last several month's and i do find them to be interesting and trying to learn more as i go along. My question is about the 1881o morgan in this thread. They refer to the mark in the 8 as a "spike". Yet to me the "Mark" in the mintmark looks just like the "mark" in the 8. Why would this not be considered a "spike" and not a die chip. If they did consider it a "spike" in the mintmark would it then be considered a new Vam. Thanks in advance..

Chris

Chris I've been into vams not long, maybe the last several month's and i do find them to be interesting and trying to learn more as i go along. My question is about the 1881o morgan in this thread. They refer to the mark in the 8 as a "spike". Yet to me the "Mark" in the mintmark looks just like the "mark" in the 8. Why would this not be considered a "spike" and not a die chip. If they did consider it a "spike" in the mintmark would it then be considered a new Vam. Thanks in advance..

"Spike" or "die chip".........these terms are referring to the same thing. There isn't too much difference in a "die scratch" and a "die gouge" either.

Here's one you might call a "die scratch" or a "die gouge", but I call it a toothpick!

Chris

110328.jpg.cba1cc8e68c203ade2919ead2a8b0895.jpg

Speck. Thanks for noting that on the "P". Had not seen that before. My scope is down but under the loup, it may be more of a strike issue. I had noted several areas on the reverse which look doubled. Thinking a strike double. I see it as the edge in the loop of the S really flattens out at the bottom. Here is a closeup photo of the S. Maybe I am just looking a bit to deep? Have a great weekend.

Chet

110406.jpg.02c8ee5e020947bfa3c5302ade352c3e.jpg

The wear over the ear is a little too much to get anything above a MS63, but this coin is definitely a nice specimen.

It is not wear over the ear, it is a strike issue known for the N'orleans minted coins. The ear and breast feathers were hit litely

This actually is a very good example of that ... This is why it got graded the 64 it did.