• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning Experiment... How long will it take ? (Lots of Big pics)

9 posts in this topic

So I bought a couple of old Whitman boards from the 1970's .... basically boards that you can put coins in that teach American history and US Presidents. They were never used before. I know this because I had to pop out the fake cardboard coins from each slot.

So I hung these up in my bathroom. Yes the bathroom. The wife didnt really want them in the house so I figured a man's bathroom is his throne - why not be surrounded by money. And its a great place to exposed them to certain noxious gases... lol.

I purchased blazing white BU coins to put into the slots and hoped for the best... Well I am already getting some results. I will keep revisiting the thread and posting updates as the toning develops.

Whats interesting is that the coins that have been pushed further into the board are toning faster. Apparently the white coating is preventing the sulfur from the cardboard from reaching the coin's surface. I am going to have to push the Peace $ and 76 JFK and Franklin further down into the cardboard. I guess even after 40 years the cardboard still has some elements in it that will cause toning....

But here are the pics. All were taken with a camera phone and were not altered in anyway.

b64i.jpg

4n0sk.jpg

jyrwi.jpg

x8uek.jpg

pz1te.jpg

y92pd.jpg

c6bpm.jpg

1yjwo.jpg

57mg.jpg

TT = toilet toned

Is it any surprise that they are turning brown?

You guys are too funny....

BTW I dont know if the coins were dipped before going into the cardboard. I didnt dip them but the previous owner might have.

I have another experiment going on in the other bathroom with the shower to see how humidity will effect toning.

I will have to post thoses pics later. I have some silvers and clads proof and unc in an old velvet box that I got a couple of years back. The velvet did a nice job on toning a couple of Peace $ that were in there for about 20 yrs.

If you have an attic, you might get a different result. Some of the prettiest toned coins I have seen have come out of the southwest where it is hot and dry.

If you have an attic, you might get a different result. Some of the prettiest toned coins I have seen have come out of the southwest where it is hot and dry.

Well Im not really doing this as an experiment. Its just working out that way. Im more interested in the process then the results. Watching them slowly tone day by day I think is better than sitting them in a hot attic and checking on them every couple of months....

I actually have a Viking food warming tray in my kitchen that is both hot and humid if I wanted to get down to brass tax. I bet after a couple of days in a damp humid environment you could really see some changes.... But to me that would be accelerated toning. Here to me the process is all NT.

Is there a plastic or PVC container surrounding the coins (when not being pic'd)?

I have suspected the air restriction decreases the dilution effect of the gas from the paper being held near the coins increasing intensity of toning - but just a hunch.