• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

!853-O or 1858-O ?

16 posts in this topic

I believe he actually managed to get pictures posted on the Coin Community Forum

Halfdollar.jpg

Halfdollar2Ob.jpg

I think we're looking at an 1852-O. The upper curve is too large to be a 3 or an 8. There seems to be a distinct separation between the upper curve and the lower, and the shape of the lower would seem to closely match the edge of the tail of a 2.

I agree from this pic it appears to be a 2. But what is the anomaly to the upper left of the 1. Appears to be another 1 possibly. The reverse appears to have some doubling of the Unite......Interesting coin regardless. shame about the damage.

Jim

I think we're looking at an 1852-O. The upper curve is too large to be a 3 or an 8. There seems to be a distinct separation between the upper curve and the lower, and the shape of the lower would seem to closely match the edge of the tail of a 2.

Since you are puffing away on 'something' in your avatar, I'll take an ounce....no, make that a pound of whatever it is you're smoking cause it has to be some really good chit to think you are seeing a 2 in all that mess.

The problem is you can't be sure about the slant of the 5 in the picture of the coin in question. That was why I first concentrated on the shape of the final digit. Later I proved from date placement relative to the drapery above that the subject coin can not possibly be an 1853-O no arrows half dollar.