• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TV pawn shop shows

17 posts in this topic

I'm curious if any of you think that people's negotiating skills are hurt or helped by watching the pawn shop shows that are popular on television these days. Do you find random joes off the street are lowballing more, or are easier/harder to negotiate with? Do you think shows like that are good or bad for the hobby?

I don't think they hurt the hobby, but I think there are a number of people on another forum (which I won't mention) who should quit badmouthing dealers for making "lowball" offers when they want to sell to them. The offers that most dealers tender are no where near as bad as those from Pawn Stars.

Chris

Just because they catch a lot of shrimp doesn't make them prawn starts or something....

Besides, I don't think there is a skewer big enough to hold any of them, especially Chumley.

Chris

I don't think it hurts anything. Pawn shops are well known for offering much lower prices for what items are actually worth. A pawn shop would be my very last resort to sell something if I needed money bad enough.

there were 2 episodes of pawn stars with US coins. In one a lady had a 1923 Saint Gaudens that she found in a wall (raw ms 64) I think he gave her about 1100-1200 bucks for it. The other was a 32-S Wash. that turned out to be fake (a 32 P with MM added). I would like to see more episodes like this.

I think good for the hobby in the long run if TV coins where involved.

I wonder what they would pay for holdered hockey pucks??

If you're referring to the ATB 5oz'ers, you might get more selling them to an Iraqi as antipersonnel mines.

Chris

A lot of the Pawn Stars offers might seem low, but the other night I saw an episode, which was undoubtedly a re-run, where a guy came in with a raw (uncertified) common date St. Gaudens $20 gold. You never get a really great look at the coin, but every time they showed it, it looked to me as if it had a rub on the highest points. When they called in the “expert” he declared it to be a MS-64, and Rick ended up paying $1,600 for it, which full MS-64 wholesale money.

When I was dealer I would never have paid MS-64 for it because you have to factor in the cost of certification, including the postage both ways and figure in the risk that you could get something less than MS-64. At any rate, you could never get full value as a dealer for a raw $20 gold piece based on your MS-64 grade.

Street level stores have a lot of overhead. You should expect to get less from them. You should also expect a pawn shop to pay low prices.

But like I said, it seemed like they paid “all the money” for the $20 gold piece.

Perhaps just for the viewers benefit, but I happened to view a Pawn Stars that a lady brought in a broach and asked $1000 for it and the owner said maam how about $15000, as this broach was a faberge(sp). The customer looked in disbelief and then without a pause said, "How about $17000?". Go figure.

Jim

I'm curious if any of you think that people's negotiating skills are hurt or helped by watching the pawn shop shows that are popular on television these days. Do you find random joes off the street are lowballing more, or are easier/harder to negotiate with? Do you think shows like that are good or bad for the hobby?

You have to understand something about pawn shops when it comes to collectibles, such as coins, coke items, beer steins, etc., the pawn shop is not looking at these items as collectible for their use. They see them only as a huge mark up over what they lowballed the original owner on price for.

I guarantee anyone walks into a pawn shop with junk silver coins, you won't be offered going rate of 18.5 - 20x face.

The pawn shops will do everything they can to buy that silver for a few dollars under spot.

Does it hurt our hobby? No.

Does it help our hobby? Eh!

Perhaps just for the viewers benefit, but I happened to view a Pawn Stars that a lady brought in a broach and asked $1000 for it and the owner said maam how about $15000, as this broach was a faberge(sp). The customer looked in disbelief and then without a pause said, "How about $17000?". Go figure.

Jim

I saw that!! It was cool! It was shaped like a spider or something and made with diamonds, rubies & sapphires. I liked it ! And it was very unique. Yeah, that lady had nerve asking that.

What would Rick say?

The problem I'm having is that it would sit in the shop for years. You see, it takes a specialized buyer to sell that kind of thing to.

(actually that kinda sounds like the old man)

109454.jpg.2fbbbf3b7d4035a8bef4927ca3a0e9f8.jpg

I just went to that shop last month. 15 minute line to get in. Its much smaller in person. They had some coins. Almost bought a Peace $ just to say it came from there. It was reasonably priced.

Their gift shop is pretty interesting. Anything that they can put their names on is in there for sale. They have Chumlee bobble head dolls even.

Their very interesting stuff is the historical items and major sports championship rings.

Just because they catch a lot of shrimp doesn't make them prawn starts or something....

I think your confusing prawn, like the "The Suprawns!"

prawn.jpg

with pawn…the actual topic.

pawnbrok-1.jpg

"you just keep me steamin' on..."