• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daniel Carr Peace - Graded

71 posts in this topic

Anyone else get theirs graded? Got an email from ANACS saying mine is a 69. I got the high luster variety and it will be attributed as such.

And what other designation regarding the coin itself will be listed on the label?

FYI, PCGS will not grade these.

These 1964 dollars are fantastic fantasy pieces of Peace. Daniel Carr is a star! Coin World just had a comprehensive article on his modern Hard Times tokens. A must read.

These 1964 dollars are fantastic fantasy pieces of Peace. Daniel Carr is a star! Coin World just had a comprehensive article on his modern Hard Times tokens. A must read.

Which issue of Coin World was that?

I'm surprised at ANACS for grading these. Not to knock your token or whatever it is, but this is not a coin, to me it's an altered Peace Dollar. I would be curious also to see what the actual designation was given this coin on the label.

I like these a lot, in fact I have a few, but I really don't think they should be graded or slabbed by a TPG, especially NGC or PCGS. It is after all a low grade Peace dollar that has been altered to look new, which of course, it's not.

Daniel Carr has a relationship with ANACS. They grade all of his stuff. The coin will be attributed with the die variety used, e.g. 4, 5 etc.

I know this coin/token is polarizing, but I am ok with it for the following reasons.

1) No 1964-D coins exists according to the US govt, so this can't be considered a countetfeit.

2) This coin contains special die markers indicating it's origin.

Not sure if I will be keeping it or not, as I may be tempted to sell it if the money is right,

"I didn't ask for your opinion."

You got it anyway.... Absolutely free - and worth every cent, too.... :) ... Certainly more than fakes.

I like these a lot, in fact I have a few, but I really don't think they should be graded or slabbed by a TPG, especially NGC or PCGS. It is after all a low grade Peace dollar that has been altered to look new, which of course, it's not.

I wouldn't mind having one just for the fun of it but I'd never pay the money they want for it. To me it's more of a bullion piece now rather than a Peace Dollar.

I wouldn't mind having one just for the fun of it but I'd never pay the money they want for it. To me it's more of a bullion piece now rather than a Peace Dollar.

I wouldn't want one period.

And some of the ads I've seen on eBay for them for the exorbitant prices they, one ad lists for $675, are outrageous.

I know this coin/token is polarizing, but I am ok with it for the following reasons.

1) No 1964-D coins exists according to the US govt, so this can't be considered a countetfeit.

This is completely false. A known example is not needed for a coin to be counterfeit. The government considers the nonexistent date Mercury dimes to be counterfeit. Also, what happens if the Smithsonian suddenly discovers an example of this coin. Do these Carr coins suddenly go from being not counterfeit to counterfeit?

So do the Omega counterfeit 1907 HR $20. I guess those aren't counterfeit anymore?

Which issue of Coin World was that?

Bill I just checked, it was the January 17 issue.

This is completely false. A known example is not needed for a coin to be counterfeit. The government considers the nonexistent date Mercury dimes to be counterfeit.

Ditto the non-existent 1944 "no mintmark" nickels.

To my understanding, and I am stating this loosely, to create a coin to look like ones that exist and circulate freely is indeed to create a counterfeit.

What clouds the issue with the D. Carr coins is that he used genuine coins as the blanks. That's tantamount to counterstamping a genuine coin, albeit in an extremely severe manner with the 1964-D peace dollars.

I'm not stating whether I believe the coins to be fake or not, but am agreeing with Greg's clarification.

This is completely false. A known example is not needed for a coin to be counterfeit. The government considers the nonexistent date Mercury dimes to be counterfeit. Also, what happens if the Smithsonian suddenly discovers an example of this coin. Do these Carr coins suddenly go from being not counterfeit to counterfeit?

So do the Omega counterfeit 1907 HR $20. I guess those aren't counterfeit anymore?

Bravo! gmarguli (thumbs u :applause:

Mr. Carr is a regular participant ATS, and he showed up yesterday commenting about what his next project might be. There could be a 1975 quarter in your future. For those who might not realize it, all quarters that were minted in 1975 carried the duel date “1776-1976”

I felt like responding to this brazen counterfeiter with a piece of my mind, but I held my fingers. I figured I’d get banned over there for attacking another member.

Here are my opinions of Mr. Carr’s enterprise. :mad::eek:

If he makes the 1975 quarter, he will be one step ahead of the Chinese counterfeits. Since he home grown, I see no reason why the government should not shut his operation down.

021111134123.jpg

So this brings up an interesting question for me. The designation says "Replica". Wouldn't this have to be stamped on the coin or is this just something that NGC decided to designate it as?

So this brings up an interesting question for me. The designation says "Replica". Wouldn't this have to be stamped on the coin or is this just something that NGC decided to designate it as?

That is actually an ANACS holder.

And to answer your question, I am not sure why ANACS used the work REPLICA and O/S (overstrike) in the same slab. Doesn't make sense to me.

And to answer your question, I am not sure why ANACS used the work REPLICA and O/S (overstrike) in the same slab. Doesn't make sense to me.

doh! I had NGC on my brain when I was typing. I can understand the Overstrike as that is what it is, but with the coin supposedly being a replica of a possibly once existing coin, I would think that replica would be stamped also. I would think this may be why NGC and PCGS are staying away from slabbing these. (I think)

They did it because it is a replica coin that is struck over a real Peace Dollar coin. I believe Carr used real 1922 and 1923 coins to strike his replicas.

Scott

Because the 1964 is over struck on an original Peace Dollar, and possibly the mintmark is overstruck.

As far as the REPLICA, it is not a real 1964 D Peace dollar and falls under the purview of the HPA.

Because the 1964 is over struck on an original Peace Dollar, and possibly the mintmark is overstruck.

As far as the REPLICA, it is not a real 1964 D Peace dollar and falls under the purview of the HPA.

Well my understanding is that if something isn't "real", then it's a replica.

rep·li·ca   

–noun

1. a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.

2. any close or exact copy or reproduction.

Added: I know this topic could go on and on with those for and against. Me personally, I think the guy is very talented and I think the 64' Peace dollar he created is pretty cool. In another sense, to me it is also a Replica Bullion Piece. Worth no more than melt or any other bullion coin. I don't understand these so-called collectors that bought this coin for the exhorbant amount of money they paid for a bullion piece that will never hold it's value in the future. JMO

I'm waiting for the day, shouldn't take much longer when someone will plunk down a sizable sum and buy one of these on the secondary market (think world wide, not just collectors in the know) as a genuine US Mint product, the rarest of the rare.

When and if they ever find out they have been duped...well, thinking about it further, we may never know it occurred.

Note: How do you think stolen art works, precious gems and the like get into private collections?

I'm waiting for the day, shouldn't take much longer when someone will plunk down a sizable sum and buy one of these on the secondary market (think world wide, not just collectors in the know) as a genuine US Mint product, the rarest of the rare.

When and if they ever find out they have been duped...well, thinking about it further, we may never know it occurred.

Note: How do you think stolen art works, precious gems and the like get into private collections?

I don't know about you, but everytime I plunk down a couple mil on a coin, I always have it authenticated first. Luckily this coin is well documented with various diagnostics and a thousand threads. It would be much tougher to authenticate a real one since there are no photographs or diagnostics published.