• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some help to giving a grade on a 1914 St. Guadens $20 Gold piece

26 posts in this topic

I am hoping someone can help give me an estimate grade (by the pics) on this St. Guadens 1914 $20 piece.

WedFeb09011334EST2011.jpg

WedFeb09011527EST2011.jpg

WedFeb09011248EST2011.jpg

WedFeb09011329EST2011.jpg

The glare in the middle is the case and not the coin. I have been checking on ebay in order to place a value on this, or at least an estimated value. Any help would be appreciated.

I see what appears to be wear so I'll guess from those very poor pics AU58. Like Mark said, the grading services may grade it anywhere from AU55 to MS63 based on their in-hand examination..

I will try to take a few more pics using my digital camera instead of my phone. Tough call but I was thinking Ms62 to Ms63 (at best). There aren't any deep scratches on the coin. Just shows a little wear. Again I am not anything near a pro in grading coins (I just started getting into coins recently). My hobby was generally comics. But Gold is Gold. And these Gaudens are masterpieces.

Wouldanyone be able to tell me an estimated value for a 1914? Ranging from an aU58 TO ms63?

Actually there were a few scratches that are on the 1914 ( I mistaked it for another one that I was looking at). Ill take a few more pics later on tohelp the situation (I hope). Thanks

I will try to take a few more pics using my digital camera instead of my phone. Tough call but I was thinking Ms62 to Ms63 (at best). There aren't any deep scratches on the coin. Just shows a little wear. Again I am not anything near a pro in grading coins (I just started getting into coins recently). My hobby was generally comics. But Gold is Gold. And these Gaudens are masterpieces.

Wouldanyone be able to tell me an estimated value for a 1914? Ranging from an aU58 TO ms63?

In this case, it wont affect the value, but your coin is a 1914-D or 1914-S and not a 1914 - look for/at the mint-mark above the date. And there is only roughly a $125 difference in value if it is an MS63 (worth about $1500), vs. an AU55 (worth about $1375).

In this case, it wont affect the value, but your coin is a 1914-D or 1914-S and not a 1914 - look for/at the mint-mark above the date. And there is only roughly a $125 difference in value if it is an MS63 (worth about $1500), vs. an AU55 (worth about $1375).

It appears to be a San Fran

Try setting your camera to macro / flower mode and you'll get better pictures.

Thanks , will try my best. And I also want to thank everyone for their input.

Hard to tell from the photos, as others said, it could be AU or low MS. As for this coin, the 1914-D had a mintage of 453,000, and it's a pretty common coin with probably 7,000 to 10,000 coins still extant (Akers rated this one 41st out of 53 coins in the series). If it's a 14-S (which is my guess), it is more common, with an original mintage of 1,498,000 and probably 25,000 to 30,000 extant. Akers rates that one 44th out of 53. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. I learned a few things from a lot of people here and that is very appreciated. I did put it up for sale in a sales thread with an asking and offers will be considered. I hope it goes well. Thanks everyone

Hard to tell from the photos, as others said, it could be AU or low MS. As for this coin, the 1914-D had a mintage of 453,000, and it's a pretty common coin with probably 7,000 to 10,000 coins still extant (Akers rated this one 41st out of 53 coins in the series). If it's a 14-S (which is my guess), it is more common, with an original mintage of 1,498,000 and probably 25,000 to 30,000 extant. Akers rates that one 44th out of 53. Hope this helps.

It boggles the mind that even the most common Saints have only 10s of thousands extant, out of millions.

Is this where all the gold at various depositories, like Fort Knox and West Point, came from?

Thanks for the input. I learned a few things from a lot of people here and that is very appreciated. I did put it up for sale in a sales thread with an asking and offers will be considered. I hope it goes well. Thanks everyone
Good luck, John!

It boggles the mind that even the most common Saints have only 10s of thousands extant, out of millions.

Is this where all the gold at various depositories, like Fort Knox and West Point, came from?

Supposedly, literally milliuons of gold coins were melted in 1933.

Supposedly, literally milliuons of gold coins were melted in 1933.

It seems it would have made sense...and cost less...to simply take these bags and store them, just like the Silver Dollars.

Silly gov't.

I'm not so sure on West Point since I think that is newly mined gold for the eagle program (that was the requirement for the gold eagle program), but it was definitely the case for Ft. Knox. In fact there was a news story a year or two ago noting that many bars being held at the Bank of England were not London good delivery bars since they were only 0.900 fine and most likely came from US coin melt. Every coin that came back to the Treasury in the 1930s was eventually melted, the only coins that really survived in any numbers were in banks overseas, in Europe or South America.

There are also many more astonishing examples, like the 24-S, just 10 years later from the same mint, original mintage of 2,927,500 estimated population in mint state today 625-750 coins.(Akers ranked this one 16th out of 53).

Oh, and unlike silver dollars which were stored to back silver certificates that were issued, the coins collected were never to be reissued since Roosevelt devalued the dollar to $35 per ounce of gold. So even if they wanted to, they would never reissue a coin containing nearly an ounce of gold with a $20 face value!