• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase a 1795 Draped Bust, Small Eagle Silver Dollar

22 posts in this topic

I've been working on a 1795 "year set" for several years. A couple years ago I displayed my coins at the FUN show. At the time I had one piece of each denomination that was issued that year. I didn’t have a 1795 Draped Bust dollar so I showed my 1796 instead and explained that the type was introduced in 1795 and that the design was the same. That didn’t stop one of the judges from complaining that I should have had 1795 dated coin instead and docking me some points. (shrug)

This week I ran into a nice 1795 Draped Bust dollar from one of my usual "Internet haunt" dealers. He shipped it out to me for approval, and the coin works for me. It is an NCG AU-53.

There are two die varieties of this issue. This example is the somewhat scarcer centered bust variety. The other one has be bust too far to the left. I had sort of been looking for the variety with bust too far to the left but had not seen much at the shows. So I decided to latch on to this since it was available.

1795DrBustDolO.jpg1795DrBustDolR.jpg

The centered Bust is more scarce in my opinion, too. It seems that nearly all of these with any remaining meat are what is termed off-center, which is a name I do not like for the variety. My coin is also the off-center.

Yes, all of these early coins have to be really expensive, especially in EF and above. It's no where near the cost of the 1795 half eagle and eagle, however. Those coins are rare, and since they were for the first of their kind very popular.

Years ago early coins were on the back burner. Most dealers were pushing the later coins, and a couple of them told me that I was foolish to buy them. Well things have now turned around. The sad part is though that this early material is now beyond the reach of most collectors in almost any grade.

Bill,

The Center Bust 1795 is one of my favorites

designs of the early Dollars. I'd be thrilled to

have that in my Type set.

Congratulations !!

The sad part is though that this early material is now beyond the reach of most collectors in almost any grade.

Yea, verily.

It looks like your patience paid off. (thumbs u

The sad part is though that this early material is now beyond the reach of most collectors in almost any grade.

Yea, verily.

It looks like your patience paid off. (thumbs u

Yes it has paid off for the moment, but I’ve been collector long enough (50+ years) that the coin market is cyclical. I don’t expect the early coins I bought many years to dip below what I paid for them in NUMERICAL dollars (as opposed to inflation adjusted dollars), but the coins I’ve been buying recently could prove to be bad buys.

The market for these early dollars has softened a bit from a couple years ago. It is possible to buy some of these pieces at lower prices. “Nothing is ever sure except death and taxes.”

The market for these early dollars has softened a bit from a couple years ago. It is possible to buy some of these pieces at lower prices. “Nothing is ever sure except death and taxes.”

The tension between the actual and hypothetical can get to you if you let it. Shall I buy this particular coin right now, or shall I wait for a hypothetical coin in the future? Once you pass on a particularly nice coin, it gets irksome to drone on in the subjunctive case (i.e. I would have/ could have/ should have bought a really nice coin but let it go). Unless you tend to turn your collection, why even bother with hypothetical losses? Yes, it may be true that you could have saved money by waiting, but you know from experience that the coins you've been looking for over a long period that have "the look" are few and far between. I think you did the right thing by buying and enjoying the coin rather than fiddling with the "what ifs".