• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1812/1 Capped bust half dollar question...

16 posts in this topic

119.jpg

121.jpg

120.jpg

This is a coin I picked up many years ago, raw. This coin has sat in my safe for many moons till I submitted it for grading about three years ago. I don't collect Capped bust half dollars, I collect buffalo nickels, but I thought this coin was beautiful in every way so I purchased this piece for $400.00.

At any rate I have just recently bought some new lights for my imaging and snaped a couple of images and noticed what looks to be a 1 under that 2. I done some research and have found there should be a die crack that runs through the stars to the date, this one has a couple of lumps. So do you think it's possible there may be an overdate with out the die cracks? This one sure looks like it to me. What are your thought on this piece. Thanks for your time and any comments ........Joe

Fantastic CBH. It is not the 1812/1. I believe it to be an O-110, but I am unable to find anywhere that mentions the lumps under the bust. What did PCGS grade it?

PCGS grades this piece AU-53 I know there's not the die cracks that are shown for the overdate, but what is that, that looks like a one under the 2?

It is not an overdate to my eye.

As for the coin itself, I believe it would be deemed AT today. But I like it.

Not AT by any stretch....Beautiful bag toning and a gorgeous coin. My camera with all of it's 6.1 megapixels does not pick up the luster on coins. That's why I'm in the market for a new camera. In hand there's no question this is natural toning.

Thank you for your comment....Joe

Not AT by any stretch....Beautiful bag toning and a gorgeous coin. My camera with all of it's 6.1 megapixels does not pick up the luster on coins. That's why I'm in the market for a new camera. In hand there's no question this is natural toning.

Well, I am not saying it would be correctly deemed as AT :) , if certified today.

I disagree with both of you. With James about the coin being deemed AT (though I suspect that the color is off a bit in the images). And with you about the "bag toning" - it looks like album toning to me, and I have not heard of Bust Halves being stored in bags. Great looking coin, though. (thumbs u

Here are some comparison photos from Heritage with yours in the center. Check the 1's and see a total difference just at first glance. Nice coin regardless.

Jim

1812over1CBHcomparison.jpg

Thanks to all for the comments! I was very lucky to have bought this coin for the money I payed for it , overdate or not. The color is very appealing and the over all look makes me happy. Thanks again.....Joe

Where are you seeing a one under that two? I'm not being a smart @ss by any means. I'm trying to see WHAT you are seeing.

I suspect the OP is seeing raised lines from flowline erosion a the edge of the die. The subject coin is clearly in a late die-state.

Where are you seeing a one under that two? I'm not being a smart @ss by any means. I'm trying to see WHAT you are seeing.

I suspect the OP is seeing raised lines from flowline erosion a the edge of the die. The subject coin is clearly in a late die-state.

Yep, that's what I was seeing. Not the over date.....Okay, I get it. I was just wondering what I am seeing.. Flow lines from an eroded die, makes sense. I sure appreciate all the help.....Joe