• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I won a 1916-S half-dollar on Heritage last night, but it's cleaned & kinda ugly

15 posts in this topic

I bid cheap, but actually got it for cheap, even though it isn't much to brag about.

My winning bid was $120 plus $18 BP plus shipping should be about $142.

So, why did I pick up an ugly coin like this? Because I have had a complete-minus-one Walker set in nice Fine grade for about five years now, and had become thoroughly :frustrated: frustrated by my inability to find a 1916-S with this exact level of detail. It matches the rest of the coins exactly in those terms, although the rest of the set consists almost entirely of original, grey pieces.

It appears to me that this newp was soap-and-watered and has reacquired some patina. It'll be cracked out immediately upon receipt. I am hoping that it can rest in my Whitman album for a few years and take on a more original appearance.

For most of my sets, I am meticulous about picking up premium, no-problem coins. However, in a collection of well worn coins, and at the level of < $300 or so, I really will not fret endlessly over "minor problem" coins. My goal isn't resale anyhow, so I don't really care whether some would frown on stooping to this level just to get a coin. Besides, if I had to resell it, I know there is plenty of market for a coin like this, as one can see on eBay. As I stated, the level of detail is exactly what I want, and it's the kind of coin that can recover given time and patience.

rantrant over! :)

It's too bad I didn't know about your set because I sold an exquisitely original 1916-S WLH in a PCGS F12 holder at the 2010 FUN show. It's a tough coin.

James----As you know, the 16S coin is fairly easy to obtain in an "unc" condition. But, finding this coin in a true "VF" or a true "XF" condition would be like walking the beach expecting to pick up 20 dollar gold pieces.

In the last 12 years, I have seen exactly one coin that I would have graded an XF and that hadn't been messed with. At that time [about 10 years ago], I thought the 500 dollar price tag was too high. Now, it would be a no brainer to buy it.

I did find a nice VF that had misalligned dies---bought it raw---had it slabbed as a VF35 by ANACS and then crossed it to a PCGS VF30. Even that coin is not totally original IMHO----but suited me for my second registry set.

IMHO, you would be still looking in 5 more years. So, buying that coin and waiting for it to retone---at least will fill the hole in the set. You can always resell such a piece at that money if you find a better coin.

In the mid grades, the 16S coin is more than just difficult to obtain----especially if you want the coin to be a nice dark battleship grey. Bob [supertooth]

James----As you know, the 16S coin is fairly easy to obtain in an "unc" condition. But, finding this coin in a true "VF" or a true "XF" condition would be like walking the beach expecting to pick up 20 dollar gold pieces.

In the last 12 years, I have seen exactly one coin that I would have graded an XF and that hadn't been messed with. At that time [about 10 years ago], I thought the 500 dollar price tag was too high. Now, it would be a no brainer to buy it.

I did find a nice VF that had misalligned dies---bought it raw---had it slabbed as a VF35 by ANACS and then crossed it to a PCGS VF30. Even that coin is not totally original IMHO----but suited me for my second registry set.

IMHO, you would be still looking in 5 more years. So, buying that coin and waiting for it to retone---at least will fill the hole in the set. You can always resell such a piece at that money if you find a better coin.

In the mid grades, the 16S coin is more than just difficult to obtain----especially if you want the coin to be a nice dark battleship grey. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, terrific and spot-on discussion, as usual. I can find the 1916-S all day in long in Fair up through about VG-8. But in F-12 through AU-55, it absolutely plunges into oblivion.

TomB, I so wish I had known you had a nice F-12 for sale!