• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Moderns

20 posts in this topic

I don't like that gouge either. It appears to be a business strike as opposed to the satin finish, and it isn't often they come in the higher grades not to mention Full Steps. Did you happen to notice that it appears to be ever so slightly off-center to K4?

Chris

There is a simple answer.

The coin is over graded. It's an emperor that has PCGS clothes.

I would never pay whatever MS-66 money is for an MS-66 graded coin with a mark like that.

Taking a cautious approach, this could be an instance of very unfortunate lighting that magnifies a hit that isn't quite as obscene in-hand. Maybe that, in conjunction with being on the reverse, allows an MS-66 (shrug) ?

(Or maybe it is just plain overgraded meh .)

I think the grading of this coin depends upon grading philosophy. Without that hit, the coin is probably MS67. If you use MS67 as a starting point, the question becomes how much do you penalize the grade of the coin due to one large hit that is not in a focal area of the coin? PCGS decided that one point was enough.

The other philosophy is that a hit of this size should limit the grade of the coin no matter how impressive the other attributes of the coin are. Under that philosophy, I have to believe the coin would grade no higher than MS64.

My opinion is in the middle, I would much rather see this coin in an MS65 holder.

Strike through ?

A couple years back I submitted an 1988-D rainbow toned quarter to NGC with what appeared to be a large hit across the eagle's breast. I was expecting a MS65 and just wanted the plastic to certify the color but came back a MS67 top pop. I questioned it myself and even took the coin by the NGC table at Long Beach and they told me it was a strike through and therefore it would not effect the overall grade... Still odd to me.

Strike through ?

A couple years back I submitted an 1988-D rainbow toned quarter to NGC with what appeared to be a large hit across the eagle's breast. I was expecting a MS65 and just wanted the plastic to certify the color but came back a MS67 top pop. I questioned it myself and even took the coin by the NGC table at Long Beach and they told me it was a strike through and therefore it would not effect the overall grade... Still odd to me.

Pictures?

There is a simple answer.

The coin is over graded. It's an emperor that has PCGS clothes.

I would never pay whatever MS-66 money is for an MS-66 graded coin with a mark like that.

This is why you buy the coin and not the plastic it is encased in!!

Ugh! No way thats a 66.

The grader obviously was impressed with the obverse and only checked the reverse for the FS designation. Might I also suggest a bulk submission result?

Strike through ?

Even absent the huge hit or potential "strike through" I think the reverse has too many contact marks to permit a grade of MS66 or higher. Absent the hit, I probably would have only given it a MS65 FS (perhaps a +). I have seen a lot of moderns that look overgraded in my opinion. Has anyone else had this experience (i.e. more than a few)?

I checked the cert number 18697688 and searched around it down to 18697680, got tired

the bulk submission hypothesis is correct and probably with min grade of 66FS

the 18697680 through 18697690 are all 2009-D PCGS MS66FS

and the 18697681 is a 2010-D {CGS MS66FS

so whether the graders eyes got blurry, or it was a 'wrong pile' coin, or a strike through, or light angle shows it at the worst - it is not PQ in most peoples eyes

the 'guarantee' seems to only guarantee the grading services get more money in my experience and the coins always seem to come back the same grade, unless drastically turned in the holder from bad dip neutralizing or doctoring starting to die

I concur wholeheartedly . The Coin is tremendously over-graded . I can't hardly believe my eyes , why I see such grades being assigned to " JUNK " as this.

PCGS has better start getting their act together and quick. It's a very hard fall from up there . Over the last 7-10 years I have seen more " Junk " being authenticated and being severely over-graded by PCGS , I pay fairly close attention to the Heritage weekly auctions , and the majority of this stuff shows up in those auctions.

http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3001&lot=1229&imagetype=j2

This is coin on a teletrade auction.. Look at the serial number on that coin 1800538 and do some checking many of the 74/0 top pops in the 2010-p MS67FS and 2010-d MS67FS 72/3 where made.

They all start with 18000532 and end with 18000567 all ms67FS = 55 of the 145 67FS in those two MM.

I did this same serial number search on a pr70dcam coin being auctioned on teletrade 7 months ago there where around 80 in consecutive serial numbers. They where being auctioned in lots of 10 and 5. all 80 pr70dcams were in consecutive serial numbers..

What a jack pot for the submitter !!

This may be the reason the mint will not sell again to cherry pickers of proof sets.

(They send them back... (so you can buy them)... not being perfect coins as these 2009 and 2010 are)