• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'tabacco staining' on large cent = dip resiude?

12 posts in this topic

opinions? Or is the staining something else?

link

Kind of hard to tell from the pics, the discoloration could be alot of things but the color in the fields is beautiful (IMHO) I think it's a great looking large cent.

-Russ

It could be many things, but why on earth would you select "dip residue" as your first suspect? That would have never entered my mind. Nonetheless, nice cent.

Jim

Well, it looks like it is pasted on top of the surfaces, and since I don't dip large cents or anything else, I have no idea what dip residue should look like. But I can envision that if one dips a large cent and does not rinse it all off, some type of visual effect should take place on the surface that causes discoloration (like this?), so what is the stain then as that is why I posed the question - to learn from those with more experience than me why such a stain should be on the surfaces. Do you know what dip residue looks like? If so, please let us lesser uneducated folks know it would be appreciated. Frankly, I would be bidding if not for those stains because yes, otherwise, a very nice large cent.

The coin appears to have had an area of light corrosion and has since been cleaned leaving behind the dark areas noted by the OP. Could also just be an impurity in the planchet, not uncommon for these late teens and early 20's coins. Regardless, the color just doesn't look "right" to me. However, that's just a guess based on photos.

Would love to see the coin in-hand. It appears to have very nice luster.

It's hard to say what caused the dull spots on he obverse field in on the portrait. It could have been a spot that was removed or it could have something that dripped in the coin. You have to remember that these Randal Hoard cents were stroed in a keg and many of them had moisture spots. I'd say that spots account for the fact that the coin is not an MS-64.

At any rate I don't see a dipped coin here.

HT--my bad. I thought when you noted 'tobacco staining' and then qualified it with dip residue, my redneck thought you meant dip tobacco staining and I wondered why that would have come up first in your mind. Sorry, didn't mean to be a smart aleck, just my ignorance of what you meant.

Jim

no worries jes, I think I should have been better explaining - tobacco was the color I was trying to describe. Some interesting comments here on what it could be though.