• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Dilema! Leave positive or negative? UPDATED last post! Got Refund!

26 posts in this topic

I bought a set of motorcycle pipes on ebay. I had noticed that some of the sellers negative feedback was selling items and then not having them. Didn't see any concerning pipes. I had also emailed the seller thru the same listing before I bought the pipes, if flanges came with the pipes. He responded saying no, which was no big deal. I went ahead and bought them. Well now 3 days later the seller tells me he doesn't have the pipes but he will sell me a different pair with $10 off. I told him no and that I would like a refund. Then he sends me an email back telling me that he will refund my money when I leave him positive feedback. This pis#$% me off. I sent an email to Ebay telling them of his response to me. Would ya'll just go ahead and leave him positive to get your refund or just wait and hope ebay or paypal gets the money back and then leave a Neg? Thanks!

I can totaly see why your upset. I def would not leave any feedback till you are refunded. Then you can choose whether to teach him a little lesson or let it slide.

If you paid via PayPal, this could be an issue the seller could use against you just in order to throw a wrench into the gears. "Well, the buyer gave me a positive on this transaction, what's their problem?"

Get your total refund before leaving feed back, this is a no-brainier if a Pay-Pal transaction.

If you made payment through paypal then you can file a dispute with them and they will stop payment. They should refund the payment to you for not receiving the item. Also, make sure you file a dispute with ebay.

After you get the refund, I would give a negative for him trying to hijack a positive from you. I would be as descriptive as I could to warn others.

Well I just filed a dispute with Paypal also. This is what I told Paypal:

The seller says he does not have the item I purchased on Ebay. The seller is also demanding that I leave him positive feedback on Ebay before he will refund my money. I don't feel that I have to comply to his demands to receive my refund that is owed to me by this seller!

Oh and Btw, After I made payment on this, this was the users Paypal ID if this tells ya anything. I didn't see it until after I paid. "A Khan" ( a con). lol

I bought a set of motorcycle pipes on ebay. I had noticed that some of the sellers negative feedback was selling items and then not having them. Didn't see any concerning pipes. I had also emailed the seller thru the same listing before I bought the pipes, if flanges came with the pipes. He responded saying no, which was no big deal. I went ahead and bought them. Well now 3 days later the seller tells me he doesn't have the pipes but he will sell me a different pair with $10 off. I told him no and that I would like a refund. Then he sends me an email back telling me that he will refund my money when I leave him positive feedback. This pis#$% me off. I sent an email to Ebay telling them of his response to me. Would ya'll just go ahead and leave him positive to get your refund or just wait and hope ebay or paypal gets the money back and then leave a Neg? Thanks!

NO WAY!!....Do not leave a positive FB! This is outright extortion and you would be doing an injustice for any future customers of this rat! (tsk) Paypal hopefully will make it right with you.

May take a little time though :(

NO WAY!!....Do not leave a positive FB! This is outright extortion and you would be doing an injustice for any future customers of this rat! (tsk) Paypal hopefully will make it right with you.

May take a little time though :(

Thats Stink, Bobby .

I would let PP and ebay sort it out and then neg him :tonofbricks:

Absolutely not, and in fact, I think that leaving positive feedback would adversely limit any potential claim under Ebay's Buyer Protection program (if these pieces are eligible). I would tell him to refund my money promptly or that you will initiate arbitration through Paypal or do a charge back. Also make it clear that if these safeguards fail, you have no problem pursuing any available legal remedies as a matter of principle.

All of these principles work. I have had one major problem where a seller did not want to refund my money for a coin that had a noticeably weak strike that even a non-collector could immediately spot. The images were deceptive and the seller had made outright statements to the contrary concerning strike (i.e. it has a bold strike, etc.). The coin was certified by a top 3 grading service. Within 12 hours, I received an email from Paypal informing me that I won the arbitration, and that they would offer me a full refund. I didn't even need to send photographs to eBay.

I would never leave positive FB for this guy. I would let Ebay and PP get my money back and, then, even though I have never left neg. FB before, I think I that I would definitely sting this dude with it.

Bobby,

Whatever you do, please do not leave any feedback until you are made financially whole, including s/h charges. Then, and only then, would I leave a negative feedback stating this was the Xth time this dealer had sold something they did not have, therefore letting the viewer of your feeback know without research that several other auctions where done the same way. While filing some sort of issue with authorities sounds nice, it would probably not be a sound idea for you in time spent, possible repercussions and what would you really gain, as we know ebay nor paypal really care about these type sellers. Your decision, but good luck.

Jim

Thanks ya'll. I'm not leaving any feedback. I'm hoping when the business days start I will hear something from Ebay and/or Paypal and get it resolved. As soon as I get my money, he will be negged.

Bobby,

Whatever you do, please do not leave any feedback until you are made financially whole, including s/h charges. Then, and only then, would I leave a negative feedback stating this was the Xth time this dealer had sold something they did not have, therefore letting the viewer of your feeback know without research that several other auctions where done the same way. While filing some sort of issue with authorities sounds nice, it would probably not be a sound idea for you in time spent, possible repercussions and what would you really gain, as we know ebay nor paypal really care about these type sellers. Your decision, but good luck.

Jim

Not true about PP not caring....even ebay has jumped on the 'protect the buyer' bandwagon. With the email the seller sent, that is clearly feedback extortion, and if it's happened in the past, this should be a slam dunk in the OP's favor.

BUT, as has been said, wait till you've been made whole, then drop the bomb. I have no doubt between PP and ebay you will be made whole, including shipping charges. More than likely, ebay will handle this.

What lessons have we learned from this?

Don't buy flangeless pipes on e-Bay from a seller who has problems with feedback...they were probably Chinese knock-offs anyways.

i dont see where a neg before getting money back could hurt! it is a fail on sellers part and he realy has no control over refund. i would neg him now since a complaint has been filed. he might even make it worse on self by actin a fool before monday. which would only help the case at PP.

sorry to hear this happened to you! get them every way possible!

Roast him and toast him you'll still get a refund from PayPal.

I had a similar experience with a seller recently. I had purchased a Michael Jackson zippo lighter my wife wanted, big Jackson fan she is, and the seller never shipped the item and refused to provide tracking information.

I filed a complaint with PayPal, but in the mean time I roasted his feedback as negatively as I could. I still received my refund anyway.

eBay closed his store because it turns out this seller did not have a license to produce items with Michael Jackson's image, or any of his trademarks.

i dont see where a neg before getting money back could hurt! it is a fail on sellers part and he realy has no control over refund. i would neg him now since a complaint has been filed. he might even make it worse on self by actin a fool before monday. which would only help the case at PP.

sorry to hear this happened to you! get them every way possible!

Well Ebay will not let you leave negative feedback until after 7 days. I tried that!

Btw, I received my refund this morning. Seller sent me this email:

"I already said that it was the 60-302 we had in stock which was the exact pipe except not a slash cut end. I also offered it to you at a lower price to make up for it. Sellers are going to make mistakes. I tried to make it up to you. A lot of buyers are understanding of this especially since I offered you the other pipe as an option with a lower price. I know you purchased the slash cut, but I figured you would have wanted the other pipe for the discounted price. I guess some buyers are more understanding and reasonable than others. It is not like I realized the mistake and refunded you and that was that."

I think he missed my point. His first email offered me the pipes I didn't want. I told him, "No I don't want those. You should not be selling items on ebay that you don't have. Refund my money.

That is when he threatened my refund with positive feedback. If he would've just refunded my money at the time, I would've left a neutral feedback saying "Beware, may not have item, ask first".

Anyway, I show refund given, but gonna wait til it hits my bank account and then I'm going to leave him a negative because of his own actions.

Asking for feedback before giving a refund is just off the chart of wrong things to do.

I have only gave 1 neg in all these years but would give this guy several if I could.

Have fun with it Bobby. You are in control.

I've dealt with clowns like this before, the only right thing e-Bay did long ago was when they took away the sellers ability to do a retaliation neg. and you know they'd do it if they could.

WTG Bobby, hold your ground.