• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could the mint be any worse to collectors?

25 posts in this topic

Ok, so granted I am not the most up to date mint customer, but I order sets each year, along with the gold spouses, and proof eagles, so I figured now that the holidays are over and I have some spare time, why not get around to ordering my long awaited 2010-W proof silver eagle?

Well, TOO LATE!!!

Yes, after screwing collectors for all of 2009, and then coming out in the last 6 weeks of the year with the 2010 proofs, poof! A little over a month later, we're out. Naturally all the big national dealers still have them, but not the bloated bag full of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed that is the US Mint! So lesson learned, you want anything from the mint, you better order it within 24 hours of release otherwise the incompetent in charge of this failing beaurocracy may not be able to handle it!

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thanks, now I vented, and now that they are sold out, I managed to order on from Coast To Coast coin for *only* $58.95 since apparently they can stock them even if the producers can't. And while I was there I ordered a couple rolls of 2011 eagles since knowing the turd nuggets at the mint they are bound to screw those up next year too...

Ok, so granted I am not the most up to date mint customer, but I order sets each year, along with the gold spouses, and proof eagles, so I figured now that the holidays are over and I have some spare time, why not get around to ordering my long awaited 2010-W proof silver eagle?

Well, TOO LATE!!!

Yes, after screwing collectors for all of 2009, and then coming out in the last 6 weeks of the year with the 2010 proofs, poof! A little over a month later, we're out. Naturally all the big national dealers still have them, but not the bloated bag full of person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed that is the US Mint! So lesson learned, you want anything from the mint, you better order it within 24 hours of release otherwise the incompetent in charge of this failing beaurocracy may not be able to handle it!

Thanks, now I vented, and now that they are sold out, I managed to order on from Coast To Coast coin for *only* $58.95 since apparently they can stock them even if the producers can't. And while I was there I ordered a couple rolls of 2011 eagles since knowing the turd nuggets at the mint they are bound to screw those up next year too...

Well if ya plan on selling any of the 2011 as singles, I'm always filling the holes in my Dansco from yr to yr. (thumbs u

You may be in luck Bobby! My uncle usually buys a roll, so I ordered on for him too, but at Christmas he said he probably wouldn't be getting as many this year, so I'll probably have a few left over.

You may be in luck Bobby! My uncle usually buys a roll, so I ordered on for him too, but at Christmas he said he probably wouldn't be getting as many this year, so I'll probably have a few left over.

(thumbs u

I think it was in 2004 or 2005, if you wanted to order one of every item the Mint had available, it would cost you about $9K. By 2008, that figure had risen to almost $20K, and the Mint announced that they would not be producing a proof SAE for 2009. That's when I cancelled all of my subscriptions and sold all of my proof SAE's and SQ series proof sets. I no longer buy any modern junk from the Mint.

Chris

Well seeings how I collect mint and proof sets, I always keep them ordered one for my collection and one for my Danscos. I will also keep collecting the SAE's. I would like to complete this collection one day with still a long way to go. I hated the 2009 got skipped but they are such a beautiful coin that I still like to collect them.

turd nuggets at the mint

I'm going to have to find a way to work this newly discovered term into conversation over the weekend.

On topic...The mint is a buisness, not a collectors friend. Besides the pucks caused shortage of silver bullion at the mint, I'm happy they made ASE's at all.

turd nuggets at the mint

I'm going to have to find a way to work this newly discovered term into conversation over the weekend.

I'm going to Mickey D's. Does anybody want some McTurd Nuggets?

Chris

Wonder what the 2010 proof Silver Eagel will be worth in years to come? Any guesses?

Melt plus a small premium, same as the rest of them. Its a one ounce bullion coin minted by the truckload, and that's all it will ever be.

Well, I'll bet they are more expensive than that. I know you don't have any, but Jason, if you did, I'd be happy to buy any and all you had at spot plus a small premium.

I'm sure it will depend on the value of silver. A couple years ago you could buy these in OGP for a little over $30. Now with silver as high as it is, you can hardly touch the OGP's for less that $50. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or people just went looney when they didn't mint the 2009's.

Well, TOO LATE!!!

Well if ya plan on selling any of the 2011 as singles, I'm always filling the holes in my Dansco from yr to yr. (thumbs u

that makes 2 of us bsshog40. Happy New Year all :)

This needs musical accompaniment, one moment while I dig out the worlds smallest violin.

So they went on sale with just six weeks left in the year and they were on sale for over a month then they stopped sales shortly before the end of the year. You waited until the last day of the year before you decided to order and SURPRISE they are sold out! But all the big dealers still have them in stock. I wonder why? Could it be because they ordered them when they were first made available? Like anyone could have. Have to order in the first 24 hours? Hardly. Like I said they were on sale for at least a month. And even with the short sales period I believe they sold enough of them that they will still be a common date piece in the future. (There were a ton of people who had subscription orders for them, some of them placed last year.) So it's not like you are missing out on anything, you just have to pay a premium for waiting til the last minute. What if you decided to wait until next May? Should the mint keep them on sale just in case you decide to order one? There is rarely any guarantee as to when the Mint will stop selling an item, and anyone who tries to wait until the last minute should know that he runs the risk of the sales being ended early. Ask anyone who was planning on waiting til late in the year to order 2004 mint sets for Christmas

This needs musical accompaniment, one moment while I dig out the worlds smallest violin.

So they went on sale with just six weeks left in the year and they were on sale for over a month then they stopped sales shortly before the end of the year. You waited until the last day of the year before you decided to order and SURPRISE they are sold out! But all the big dealers still have them in stock. I wonder why? Could it be because they ordered them when they were first made available? Like anyone could have. Have to order in the first 24 hours? Hardly. Like I said they were on sale for at least a month. And even with the short sales period I believe they sold enough of them that they will still be a common date piece in the future. (There were a ton of people who had subscription orders for them, some of them placed last year.) So it's not like you are missing out on anything, you just have to pay a premium for waiting til the last minute. What if you decided to wait until next May? Should the mint keep them on sale just in case you decide to order one? There is rarely any guarantee as to when the Mint will stop selling an item, and anyone who tries to wait until the last minute should know that he runs the risk of the sales being ended early. Ask anyone who was planning on waiting til late in the year to order 2004 mint sets for Christmas

I'm sorry, wait for the last minute? I know time moves slow in Indiana, but I thought you would be caught up now with daylight savings time. In what world is waiting 6 weeks after they come out the "last minute"? In 2008 the proof eagles were on sale for most of the year, and you'd be forgiven for thinking like a logical person that if you screwed your customer base out of a product for an entire year, you might want to be prepared for larger quantities and longer selling cycle when you finally resume production.

And besides, this is my rant thread, if you don't like it, ignore it! Why waste the time with your inane attempt at a witless response?

But the 2010 Eagles are sold out -very early, they should be worth more than melt plus a small premium, they're going for over $100 in some places as PF70. I've never seen them sell out so early...

Let's not forget that anything with a MS70 or PR70 grade has a high price tag attatched to it.

69s are just as nice looking and more reasonable with the prices.