• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trifecta! Thought you guys would enjoy this one. . .

27 posts in this topic

It can be trumped only by an indian cent that is also Photosealed, +, *, green bean, or by a golden bean, +, and/or a pcgs secure plus slab! :roflmao:

Rare find indeed well done!

Pat, that's a first for me, too!

The only thing that I can "complain" about is that I think NGC should reverse the +* to *+. In my way of thinking (I know, it's odd!) it might be less confusing for a newcomer to collecting.........."Hey, Dad, what does it mean when a coin is MS67 plus a star?"..........Do you get my drift?

Chris

Hey, Dad, what does it mean when a coin is MS67 plus a star?".......

Chris

Son,

It means you've got an MS68, WTG boy!!

(worship)

P.S. don't try cracking that sucker out and resubmitting, because it just might be an MS67, high for the grade!

How confusing this +, star, green beenie, gold beenie stuff. I can spot B.S. when I see it, and all the above is a lot of Marketing B.S. IMHO.

Cheers!

Kirk

Chris

Son,

(worship)

P.S. don't try cracking that sucker out and resubmitting, because it just might be an MS67, high for the grade!

How confusing this +, star, green beenie, gold beenie stuff. I can spot B.S. when I see it, and all the above is a lot of Marketing B.S. IMHO.

Cheers!

Kirk

No, it doesn't. Nothing on that slab says anything at all to indicate that it is a 68. The green sticker means only that CAC agrees that it is a solid 67. The + indicates that it is a better than average 67. The * has nothing to do with grade at all and simply indicates that the coin has strong eye appeal.

Impressive! Congrats. Man, any more notations and it'll look like an ebay sale.

I think NGC got it right with +* in that order. The grade is 67+. The * is added for eye appeal. JMO.

Lance.

Chris

Son,

(worship)

Cheers!

Kirk

No, it doesn't. Nothing on that slab says anything at all to indicate that it is a 68. The green sticker means only that CAC agrees that it is a solid 67. The + indicates that it is a better than average 67. The * has nothing to do with grade at all and simply indicates that the coin has strong eye appeal.

I still say it's all a Marketing gimmick.

Can you tell a '67+star cac from a MS68?

Can any expert tell?

We're splitting the proverbial hair here.

I wonder if the OP would rather have a '67+star cac or a MS68 and who can tell the difference?

When the TPGs come out with minus designations as in MS68- then perhaps I will change my opinion. Afterall, isn't a MS67+star cac in fact an MS68-?

And what grader would promote a "minus" designation when they can make money on their +,star and green/gold beanies to capture some market value for their services.

I'd love to see CAC, designate a not-so-solid for the grade. Don't you think that would be fair!

And, if the coin is "sollid for the grade" then is it just eye-appeal that justifies this designation? What about strike, lustre, technical grade? Can only "eye-appeal" generate the OPs trifecta?

Cheers!

Kirk

You made me chuckle when I read that. I've seen the posts ATS about the ebay seller that puts stickers all over his slabs.... he's like the ebay QVC guy!! They kill me!!

I'd really like to see better pictures of that one.

I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the CAC opines on the * or not. According to the definitions as I understand them, if a coin gets a +, it should automatically get a CAC.

You made me chuckle when I read that. I've seen the posts ATS about the ebay seller that puts stickers all over his slabs.... he's like the ebay QVC guy!! They kill me!!
Yes! He's a rip, CD. You see stuff like "cheaper than a pizza!" written on his flips. lol.

One day I saw a large cent, 1840, and it was a small date, large 18, for $31.99. Cheaper than Chinese take-out! So I bought it . Not exactly a rip, but better than I hoped.

Lance.

Yes! He's a rip, CD. You see stuff like "cheaper than a pizza!" written on his flips. lol.

One day I saw a large cent, 1840, and it was a small date, large 18, for $31.99. Cheaper than Chinese take-out! So I bought it . Not exactly a rip, but better than I hoped.

Lance.

Ive purchased 3 Mint sets from that seller. I believe a 56,57,and a 58 set. They where real cheap so i just bought them. Turned out they where awesome sets!

braddick, would you ever have any considerations sending the coin in for a possible MS68?

I imagine your trifecta could get you a premium when you come to sell, but I wouldn't think for a second that it would bring the price of a MS68 coin.

Do you think your coin is MS68 worthy, or do you think it has been accurately graded, with the plus, star, and CAC stickered?

Lance.

lol

braddick, would you ever have any considerations sending the coin in for a possible MS68?

I imagine your trifecta could get you a premium when you come to sell, but I wouldn't think for a second that it would bring the price of a MS68 coin.

Do you think your coin is MS68 worthy, or do you think it has been accurately graded, with the plus, star, and CAC stickered?

Seriously, I thought the coin was a super nice GEM MS65. I was (pleasantly) surprised to see it grade out the way it is. CAC? Nice bonus.

I would never crack this one out as a grade of MS66 is likely.

I'd really like to see better pictures of that one.

I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the CAC opines on the * or not. According to the definitions as I understand them, if a coin gets a +, it should automatically get a CAC.

No such thing as an automatic CAC .

Braddick - fantasic looking coin - I would love to see that one in hand .

Seriously, I thought the coin was a super nice GEM MS65. I was (pleasantly) surprised to see it grade out the way it is. CAC? Nice bonus.

I would never crack this one out as a grade of MS66 is likely.

So are you saying that NGC got the grade wrong?

(Not trying to grill you here, but considering you thought it was a gem MS65 and thinking it would come back likely at a MS66 when trying for a MS68 has me wondering)

If I were in your situation with that being said, I wouldn't send it back in either!

My pics, but taken with my iPhone before placing it in the bank vault.

-I don't think NGC necessarily got it wrong but believe it's a combination of me being wrong along with (possibly) NGC.

I won't sell it as it sits.

Seems to me "trifecta" is telling us that this should be in a MS68 slab :)

I don't necessarily agree with this assessment, and I don't think that it will ever end up in a MS68 slab although it is a nice coin. Also, I think that the addition of the CAC sticker was a bit superfluous - wouldn't all "+" coins theoretically end up with a CAC sticker?

Nice coin.