• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the exact process for crossovers?

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking about sending in some coins to cross over to NGC, but I have never been clear on the process at your end. I worry that if I think a coin may be undergraded, the person looking at the coin in the slab may just say, yeah, that's the grade and all I get is a reholdered coin. Who screens initially to determine if a coin will cross? Does the same person then grade it? How do you avoid being biased by the number that already appears on the slab?

Thanks for your response!

jtryka,

We view the coins that come in for crossover as if they were uncertified. I personally never look at the grade on the holder until I have first graded the coin according to what I believe the NGC grade to be. We have no reservations at all about grading a coin higher than the current grade assigned by another service if the coin merits it. Though most of the coins either fail to cross or cross at the same grade, we have graded coins 2 and even 3 points higher in a few instances. We will also grade the coin lower if the submitter gives written permission for us to do so. Unfortunately, in some cases, we can't cross the coin at any grade due to problems.

John

Dragon,

No. You must be willing to accept the same grade without stipulation for a higher grade, however we will grade it higher if the coin(s) meets our standards for the higher grade. We do not believe it is prudent to guarantee a higher grade (which is essentially what we would be doing if we were to do what you are asking) without being able to view the coin out of its holder first.

John

Do you allow a "Cross-At-Any-Grade" from third tier grading companies?

For example, I send you a PCI MS64 but you deem it to be an MS62. Will you still cross it over (if I state that is what I want)?

Braddick,

Sure. In fact, it doesn't have to be from a "third tier" service. We've had coins (from individuals who presumably are collecting only NGC certified coins) submitted to cross at any grade that were in our leading competitor's holder. You must be clear in what you will accept as a minimum grade on the submission invoice. If we determine the coin is a "no grade", we will not remove it from existing holder. NGC does not encapsulate no grades, but just FYI, NCS has recently started doing this.

As I mentioned earlier, you can not specify a HIGHER grade only. You MAY stipulate a request to cross only if the coin meets the requirements for STAR designation, but I strongly suggest (especially since normal fees still apply on those that do not cross) that you attempt to understand what we are looking for here before you send coins that will not get the coveted STAR.

John

I appreciate that. I know it must be tempting to look at the grade on the insert (even ACG?!) and then come to a small conclusion even before glancing at the coin- but it's also a pleasant surprise that you are willing to overcome that slight prejudice if the coin warrants the grade.

Cool.

Braddick,

Others have expressed an interest in exactly how to avoid looking at the label first. It takes a bit of practice, a desire to avoid looking at it, and a general attitude if you want to call it that. The key is basically to accept that you are "throwing out" the grade already assigned and starting over from scratch. It is logical that this is the approach one should use, particularly a grading service, because a different set of standards have been used to grade that coin if it is in another services' holder. BTW, I actually feel bad when we are unable to crossover coins, regardless of brand, out of sympathy for the owner/submitter who has paid the fees but are unable to get what they want.

John

1) Why aren't the grades covered with a sticker? I know that the graders could just peel off the sticker and look, but it would help prevent any initial bias. I believe ANACS does that.

2) Why isn't some sort of credit given for failed crossovers? Yes, I know the coin had to go thru the grading process, but NGC is saving money by not having someone put the coin in a slab, not having to pay for a slab, and most importantly not having the liability associated with having a coin in the NGC slab which might come back to haunt them (regrade lower).

Maybe not refund money, but offer a credit for future submissions. Perhaps $2 for failed Economy Crossover, $5 for failed EarlyBird Crossovers, or $10 for the Express levels.

Greg,

1) I knew someone would ask this! It is one more step that really isn't needed. They would have to be put on and taken off, and there could be residual on the holder. As professionals, we do not believe any bias is created by not covering the grade. We always do our best to do the right thing, which is to grade the coin according to NGC standards regardless of what holder it is currently in and what grade it was it assigned.

2) The only real cost savings to us is the holder itself and the labor to holder the coin. This is partially offset by the time it takes to provide an explanation for why the coin did not cross. Still, your point is a good one and I will discuss it with the other management and graders. Thank you.

John

2) The only real cost savings to us is the holder itself and the labor to holder the coin. This is partially offset by the time it takes to provide an explanation for why the coin did not cross. Still, your point is a good one and I will discuss it with the other management and graders. Thank you.

Hi John,

I think the real liability, as Greg said, is with the NGC warranty. If a coin goes bad in your holder, your warranty may cause NGC to cough up substantial dollars... I'm sure it is this warranty that drives much of the cost of the grading fee.

EVP