• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing for SMS Cameos

16 posts in this topic

I was looking on the NGC price guide and wanted to see how prices looked for 1967 SMS Cam and UCam Nickels. While I can find prices for MS coins and can find census info for MS, Cam, and UCam, I don't see how to find price info on Cameos.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I was looking on the NGC price guide and wanted to see how prices looked for 1967 SMS Cam and UCam Nickels. While I can find prices for MS coins and can find census info for MS, Cam, and UCam, I don't see how to find price info on Cameos.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This has long been a weakness of the guides on these series. I recommend using the PCGS Price Guide and discounting it HEAVILY . A good estimate of retail value is about 67% of PCGS Price Guide. If you are looking at top-pops, you might need to discount a little more. This is all relative. I know this might not help, but at least it's a start. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks guys - I knew there were other sources - but was hopeful they were available on the NGC price guide.

If none of us can find them then it sounds like an improvement opportunity for NGC :hi:

Maybe it's just an unintentional omission. Why don't you ask someone at NGC?

Chris

Chris, I've asked, and they seem to think they trade so rarely that there isn't enough data. The fact is, that's not true at all.

The fact is, that in higher grades the pricing is very much widespread, toward the PCGS coins.

For example, a 1967 nickel in 68 Cam will bring about $100 for an NGC version and about $700 in the PCGS version.

Does that mean that the NGC coin is substandard? Could be, but you have to buy the coin not the holder as there will be nice examples in either. Or, could it be that more people just drink the blue Kool-Aid!!

Thanks Sam. I've been reading far more than I have been posting. But the good news is that I've never stopped collecting.

I'm still working on a nice set of Cam/UCam coins from '50 - '67 but have expanded to add several other things including high-end mint sets for the '40's and working on filling holes in my 38-67 set of Jeffersons.

You know how it is...there is ALWAYS something to collect! :blush:

Chris, I've asked, and they seem to think they trade so rarely that there isn't enough data. The fact is, that's not true at all.

The fact is, that in higher grades the pricing is very much widespread, toward the PCGS coins.

For example, a 1967 nickel in 68 Cam will bring about $100 for an NGC version and about $700 in the PCGS version.

Does that mean that the NGC coin is substandard? Could be, but you have to buy the coin not the holder as there will be nice examples in either. Or, could it be that more people just drink the blue Kool-Aid!!

I actually believe it's just marketing strategy by PCGS. The coin inside the slab is no differently minted than the one inside an NGC slab. I think PCGS's price guide is merely to try to attract more people to thier slabs than anything else. The problem is, the strategy works to a fairly good point.

As for the original question, I noticed that NGC answered RWW's question stating they were in the PF category. They are actually listed in the MS category but are not showing Cameo or Ultra Cameo designations.

I actually believe it's just marketing strategy by PCGS. The coin inside the slab is no differently minted than the one inside an NGC slab. I think PCGS's price guide is merely to try to attract more people to thier slabs than anything else. The problem is, the strategy works to a fairly good point.

I would say that on the whole, PCGS coins are graded a bit tighter than NGC coins... maybe a 1/2 point difference. However, there is plenty of slop for the grade in PCGS slabs and plenty of premium quality coins for the grade in NGC slabs. The trick is to know what you are looking at, and you can get some very good deals for coins in NGC plastic. In the last year I bought an 1858 FE 1c in NGC MS64 that crossed to PCGS MS65... saved myself a whole bunch of money.

Thanks Bobby - I should have included in my original question to them that I was looking for prices on CAM and UCAM designations on the SMS issues. I've since responded with that clarification.

Yea I'm not sure whats goin on. Max Spiegle pm'd me saying they were in the pf section. But I'm showing in the MS section. I linked it to him so he could see what I'm seeing.