• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOULD I PURCHASE THIS COIN OR KEEP LOOKING?

45 posts in this topic

Hello Coin collectors,

Please take a look at the pics of this 1885 Morgan dollar and let me know your opinions whether I should purchase it or look for a better one. Thank you so much! Sincerely, Dan

107652.jpg.395114073d30031ae0467ac05286da46.jpg

107653.jpg.31d6aaecbdc708ad12d1f7d832822e56.jpg

107654.jpg.f0f87cb45134b6f3ed070389f7f62bc7.jpg

107655.jpg.f2461910cb48195b6294e8bbb1e4c212.jpg

107656.jpg.20577b733f7dc2cbafd7b8a7e30dc52c.jpg

(Light) clashed dies are somewhat common so don't let that influence you. Looks like a generic MS66. I'd pass and look for one with more luster rather than one that is somewhat satin.

It is hard to say from the pic if the luster and frost are captured correctly. But braddick is right if we can take the pics at face value. There is a touch of chatter on the lower cheek. If you look long enough you can probably find a 66 without that? Still a nice example though.

DO NOT pay premium for the clashing. And, like others have already said, just because it's an MS66 doesn't mean it's rare, There are certain dates that have high pops in those grades.

Personally, I would spend an extra 150-200 and buy a really nice 1885-S MS 64. It is a much better date and there are some really nice 64s out there. That's just me, though.

That's a high pop coin MS 66 (1885 P) and you'll get a ton of chances to pick one up again. 300 is a decent price but not remarkable.

As others have already said, those clashes are very common. The only clashes that might add a premium to the coin would be letter transfers such as the "n", "G", "s" or "t" of IGWT or the "E" of LIBERTY. I don't see any of those on this coin.

It looks like a nice 66, but you might counteroffer between $250 & $275.

Why is it so important for you to find one that could get a green beanie? Once you've paid for the submission and the shipping & insurance, you'd probably eat up any increase in value for it because it is still just a common-date Morgan.

Chris

Typically you can get this date in NGC MS66 for less than $300 and I don't see anything on the coin that would warrant a premium so it's really up to your personal taste if it's worth $300 to you but it is a very common coin even in that grade and higher. hm

Should you buy it?

Well, do you like it? Is it what you are looking for? Are you drawn to white instead of toned Morgans? Is it the year and mint you want?

I think it is a fair example. But NGC has graded more than 1500 MS66 1885 Morgans. PCGS, 1200 more. And that's not counting the thousands more in PL and DMPL. So there are lots to choose from.

The clashing is very minor, and certainly not worth a premium. IMO it's not even noteworthy.

Because these are so common, if I were you I'd wait for a coin show and pick out one you can see in hand. You will get a better feel for eye appeal, luster, contact marks, etc. Even a B&M shop will have Morgans of this ilk and grade.

Lance.

The good news is I already have the 1885 S in really nice Ms64. I'm just working on some of the common dates that that are not too expensive but have high grades with excellent eye appeal. I'm collecting long term and want to eventually have a really nice complete set and I really enjoy the N.G.C. registry. thanks for the good advice, Sincerely, Dan

Thanks for the good advice, I'm going to keep searching for a better one, I am just working on some of the common dates that are not too expensive and have high grades/eye appeal. I am collecting long term and I eventually want to have a really nice complete set of Morgan Silver Dollars. They are beautiful coins!!! I also enjoy participating in the N.G.C. registry! Sincerely, Dan