• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Cleaning at it's best

18 posts in this topic

Interesting. I have little knowledge in this area of numismatics, so what exactly are you doing here? Are you dipping coins and tempting to tone them? Dipping doesn't require heat, right? It is purely solvent based, no? Sorry; I"m completely clueless.

Sometimes it helps to soften crud on coins by heating in water before dipping in a "safe" solvent like acetone or oxylene, or before gentle cleaning with a rose thorn or toothpick.

Lance.

MM Not quite

These were boiled to sterilise them

We have always had money put in the christmas pudding as long as I can remember . This pudding is for the adults so the children don't choke on the coins but they always end up in their piggy banks

[*]DSCF2010.jpg

Sometimes it helps to soften crud on coins by heating in water before dipping in a "safe" solvent like acetone or oxylene, or before gentle cleaning with a rose thorn or toothpick.

Lance.

Thanks for the information! I might try this on some junk silver as an experiment.

MM Not quite

These were boiled to sterilise them

We have always had money put in the christmas pudding as long as I can remember . This pudding is for the adults so the children don't choke on the coins but they always end up in their piggy banks

[*]DSCF2010.jpg

So what happens to the coins? Do you reuse the same ones every year? How did this tradition begin?

Have you ever tried to get money from a child . Once it is in their hot little hand it's gone forever lol

No there different coins ever year .

Not quite sure where the money in the xmas pudding comes from, but I know that my grandmother used to get it in a sort of Xmas cake that they had during WW2. Probably because it was war time there wasn't much in the way of presents so it was a way of giving little gifts .

The most troubling thing about that image is that there's still a half a bottle of wine not drunk lol

Martin

OP The coins are placed in just before the pudding gets to the table and then the fights on to see who gets the most coins from dishing it up :)

Custard and cream is the only way to go with xmas pudding

Martin