• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1937 Proof Walker

15 posts in this topic

Anyone who knows me, in person or through my posts, knows I love original coins, as much as anyone. But, I like my big, booming proof Walkers to be BRIGHT. So that coin would not work for me. I know and completely respect that some folks will enjoy it immensely, though. This is the very rare instance where I might suggest that an original coin could be "improved" by coin doctoring, in other words, careful conservation, preferably at NGC. Then, I would put the coin into my album and respectfully let her rest for a few decades.

I agree with James on this one, I would love to see what N.G.C. Conservation could do with this beauty! I think Walkers have beautiful detail as this one definitely shows! There is a lot I have to learn about toning as I have always preferred Blast white with lots of Luster and Detail. The more you look at this particular coin, the more you like it and appreciate it! Sincerely, Dan

I like it the way it is, but it wouldn't bother me to see it in a nice bright white either. A little album toning is what the "doctor" ordered on this one! lol

Sorry for the pun.

But the others are correct, that is natural toning so it really doesn't need any help, unless of course you think you want a pure white one.

This mottled toning is called "fungus toning" said my friend at the local coin club. He made up the term but it certainly seems appropriate. Thanks for posting it. It makes you wonder how it happened just that way.

i am sorry my friend the coin in my opinion have negative eye appeal from the photos

sight seen could be different but all i got is photos on here and they are decent photos

i cant take photos myself so i should talk

as to grade i would need to see the coin in hand 3 deminational to tilt and rotate the coin slab in a light to see what i think the grade is

also welcome to the boards (thumbs u

It might have negative eye appeal, but that doesn't mean it's not a 66. That type of toning is typical for proof coins of that era and most likely was there when the coin was slabbed. Nothing wrong with the toning, it's just not that attractive.

So did NGC overgraded this one? Or do you think the toning may have appeared after it was slabbed?

I would not make such an assumption. It looks like a terrific coin from the images. It just wouldn't work for my particular tastes, since as mentioned, I like my proof Walkers to be bright. There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with a nice, originally toned proof, and there are many collectors who would pursue your coin aggressively.