• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three images, one coin, a 1998-S matte Kennedy half. Which image is better?

15 posts in this topic

It's all in the tilt, my friends! The lights were not moved, nor was the camera, but the coin was tilted up by a couple of degrees in each succeeding image. Subtle differences between each, but which do you prefer?

k1998s01.jpg

k1998s02.jpg

k1998s03.jpg

hi James,

I have this same.coin graded by N.G.C. Sp70 and it's absolutely perfect! the cert #3295049-001

Check out the pics when you enter this cert. Number in N.G.C. Cert verification and compare your pics to it. Hope this helps, Sincerely, Dan

It's all in the tilt, my friends! The lights were not moved, nor was the camera, but the coin was tilted up by a couple of degrees in each succeeding image. Subtle differences between each, but which do you prefer?

k1998s01.jpg

k1998s02.jpg

k1998s03.jpg

Okay, James, I'm curious to know about your lighting setup and camera settings. Your photos seem sort of subdued compared to these that I took. I'll be the first to admit that I still know very little about numismatic photography (probably because it isn't the most important thing on my list), but I'd like to be able to compare the differences in "your technique" and my "feeble attempt".

Chris

107549.jpg.d5691db36c59c57376e59edfdccd6084.jpg

107550.jpg.c6c64999ea9d5bd642157eb87c07f95c.jpg

I tend to agree with chris. The pics are nice but seem to be done in a black & white mode or something. Although they are nice and clear, they seem to be somewhat dull. And Btw, I'm no professional either!

I did not white-balance the images, which is why they may appear a little "reddish", but am not quite sure what you guys mean by "subdued". By their nature, I guess the matte Kennedys are "subdued" :grin: !

I was more interested in opinions as to the glare, shadowing, etc.

As to the camera setup, it was just two 25-watt incandescent bulbs held about 8" away from the coin, one above and a little left, the other below and a little right. The camera was in macro mode and about 30" above the coin.

I didn't crop to carefully, either, which is why the edges are a little raggedy.

It's hard for me to explain James. The pics are nice and clear but if I compare one chris's pics to yours, his looks like a coin and yours look like a picture of a coin. Make any sense?? (shrug)

It's hard for me to explain James. The pics are nice and clear but if I compare one chris's pics to yours, his looks like a coin and yours look like a picture of a coin. Make any sense?? (shrug)

Yes indeed. As a matter of fact, I was trying a new way to "shrink" images, so I'm glad you noticed the difference. I'm not sold on it either!

The first has the best focus (look to the south). The third has the best exposure and appearance. None looks like the photo of a coin.

Each looks like a drawing...an artist's sketch. You know, the stuff you see on page 1 of Coin World with yet another story on CCAC and modern renditions.

Still, I like them all.

I don't think the tilt does anything but screw up the focus. I'd work with the light positions and types instead.

Lance.